• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe because your parents did? If so, WHY?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Really!! Well I know it may sound foreign to you but in fact MANY children are brainwashed by their parents to follow and adhere to a specific religion. I can definitely give you proof of this if required and in addition show scripture from holy texts that encourage this type of brainwashing!

Children can't be "brainwashed", because there's nothing in their brains to be washed.

You're talking about indoctrination, which is impossible to avoid no matter how hard you try.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Children can't be "brainwashed", because there's nothing in their brains to be washed.

You're talking about indoctrination, which is impossible to avoid no matter how hard you try.

Now that I can agree with. My mother never taught me about religion when I was a child at all- except that she didn't believe it and the reasons why not. That is indoctrination to non-belief, I can suppose because I never questioned her until I was at least 13 years and never to her face. That is my experience, and probably the same of most of the members here- whether it be religion, non-religion, politics, and whether cats or dogs make the best pets. :)

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
Sorry, Buddy, but although there is brainwashing in a few cases, for the most part, parents teaching their children their religion is not brainwashing- especially not where I live. I just don't agree with you on that- I just haven't seen much evidence of that in my 47 years on earth. And you can show me your "proof" but I doubt it will convince me of anything.

I realize I forgot to welcome to the RF. :)

First of all thank you!
Secondly, you are American, so can you acknowledge, at least, that the threat of terrorism in the U.S is the result of extensive brainwashing?

Secondly, how much travelling have you done to make such a bold assertion that brainwashing is only a few cases? I mean this in the nicest way possible but "where you're from" is such small fraction of the world!

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
Indoctrination is rather conspicuous, I am talking about brainwashing, where at a very young age children are brainwashed to hate! Believe me having travelled across the world I've seen this with my own eyes and as I mentioned the reason terrorists are bred is the result of this brainwashing!

Many Muslim children are told that martyrdom is the greatest path to heaven! What sort of impact do you think this has on the child as he grows older?

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
What do you mean by extensive?

I mean that in many Muslim countries there are extreme methods used to brainwash children to hate. I grew up in the Middle East and remember this. We were told to yell death to America and Death to Israel as part of a morning chat prior to going to school!

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
First of all thank you!
Secondly, you are American, so can you acknowledge, at least, that the threat of terrorism in the U.S is the result of extensive brainwashing?

Secondly, how much traveling have you done to make such a bold assertion that brainwashing is only a few cases? I mean this in the nicest way possible but "where you're from" is such small fraction of the world!

Maybe. But the terrorists I see don't appear to be "brainwashed" by religion or their parents or by following the faith of their parents- they may be influenced by government, indoctrinated early to their faith,- but anger and hatred is not caused by what you call brainwashing. Following a faith is not the same thing as becoming a terrorist- not all Muslims, for example are terrorists- most of them are not. The Muslims I know, while dressing differently, are not all that different in any other way than others This kind of thing isn't done by parents teaching their children their faith at all.
And I am former military- I have been outside of my country and my state. My husband is retired Navy and has been all over the world.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Is 'extensive' determined by the number of terrorists? ... by their percentage of the population? ... by their percentage of their faith group? ... by the onerous character of the ideology of the worst terrorist? What?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
BTW: was the terrorism directed against the Wisconsin Sikh community an example of this "extensive brainwashing"? What about the Red Terror in Spain?

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
BTW: was the terrorism directed against the Wisconsin Sikh community an example of this "extensive brainwashing"? What about the Red Terror in Spain?

I didn't say all forms of terrorism result from extensive brainwashing, but I clearly pointed out an example of what we were brainwashed with as children. If you want me to respond, as I have done so to all your questions, I ask you kindly to not be rude with your innuendos about me babbling when I answered your question. If you intend on patronizing me then I will not answer because nobody deserves to be talked to that way.

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
Maybe. But the terrorists I see don't appear to be "brainwashed" by religion or their parents or by following the faith of their parents

Well would you still say that after reading the following verse in the Quran:
[FONT=&quot]Surah At-Tawbah (9:29)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fight those who do not believe in Allah or in the Last Day and who do not consider unlawful what Allah and His Messenger have made unlawful and who do not adopt the religion of truth from those who were given the Scripture - [fight] until they give the jizyah willingly while they are humbled[/FONT]

FREE-of-FAITH

FREE-of-FAITH
You paint with a broad brush. That's not being free of faith. That's being full of bigoted presuppositions.

That's great, but your insults don't offend me. I am free of faith for a reason, because superstition holds back the mind. As I said, if you intend on insulting me solely because I share my personal childhood experiences of having been brainwashed to hate and breaking away from that later on in life, well go ahead by all means but don't expect someone to respond to you kindly when you're patronizing them and showing no respect for their experience in life!