• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you believe after death life?

SeekingAllTruth

I think of it more instead of applying what people wrote near 2,000 years ago today, it's easier to find answers to what you can do now. Trying to interpret and apply cultural, literal, and symbolic understanding of people who didn't even speak our language is far but pushing it.

Though, my comment still stands, though. If faith is very strong then you could jump out the window and have faith that god would catch you. Is your faith strong enough for that or is there maybe "strong enough to move mountains" doesn't mean moving mountains then just as it does not now. The laws of physics are timeless.
I'm with you. The nightmare Christians face of a dissolving religion as millions upon millions leave it each day is a case of Christianity trying to apply a 3,000 year old goat herders' religious manual to an advanced sophisticated culture. I mean these were people who thought PMS manifestations were the work of demons. Lots of Christians still think that. How many have you heard talking about someone needing an exorcism? Couple that with a religion that steadfastly refuses to update all these old worn-out outlandish beliefs in Jesus returning bodily to earth some day and coronavirus being the work of the devil--"It's satan's fault!"--original sin and the rest of the nonsense and you have a religion that is just begging to go extinct. Christianity is dying of its own excesses.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm with you. The nightmare Christians face of a dissolving religion as millions upon millions leave it each day is a case of Christianity trying to apply a 3,000 year old goat herders' religious manual to an advanced sophisticated culture. I mean these were people who thought PMS manifestations were the work of demons. Lots of Christians still think that. How many have you heard talking about someone needing an exorcism? Couple that with a religion that steadfastly refuses to update all these old worn-out outlandish beliefs in Jesus returning bodily to earth some day and coronavirus being the work of the devil--"It's satan's fault!"--original sin and the rest of the nonsense and you have a religion that is just begging to go extinct. Christianity is dying of its own excesses.
What you just said reminded me of what Abdu'l-Baha said in Paris Talks. He was referring to all the older religions but I think he was referring mainly to Christianity. Please bear in mind that the Paris Talks were given over 100 years ago.

“Religion and science are the two wings upon which man’s intelligence can soar into the heights, with which the human soul can progress. It is not possible to fly with one wing alone! Should a man try to fly with the wing of religion alone he would quickly fall into the quagmire of superstition, whilst on the other hand, with the wing of science alone he would also make no progress, but fall into the despairing slough of materialism. All religions of the present day have fallen into superstitious practices, out of harmony alike with the true principles of the teaching they represent and with the scientific discoveries of the time. Many religious leaders have grown to think that the importance of religion lies mainly in the adherence to a collection of certain dogmas and the practice of rites and ceremonies! Those whose souls they profess to cure are taught to believe likewise, and these cling tenaciously to the outward forms, confusing them with the inward truth.” Paris Talks, p. 143

“God made religion and science to be the measure, as it were, of our understanding. Take heed that you neglect not such a wonderful power. Weigh all things in this balance.

To him who has the power of comprehension religion is like an open book, but how can it be possible for a man devoid of reason and intellectuality to understand the Divine Realities of God?

Put all your beliefs into harmony with science; there can be no opposition, for truth is one. When religion, shorn of its superstitions, traditions, and unintelligent dogmas, shows its conformity with science, then will there be a great unifying, cleansing force in the world which will sweep before it all wars, disagreements, discords and struggles—and then will mankind be united in the power of the Love of God.”
Paris Talks, pp. 145-146

cataway

dead means dead. all who are dead will remain dead unless a outside force acts to put life back into a body .

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Yes, this life is, but the next life isn't.
Yea ok, I'll refrain.

I'ld answer "what next life" and it'll go back and forward.
And eventually, I'll point out that the entire talk of "spirits" or "souls" or whatever word you'll use to describe the mind to treat it as an entity on its own, is indistinguishable from imagination.

And that's why I don't believe in an "afterlife". Because it's a talk about nothing.
To me, humans are their brains. Their brain activity, to be more precise. When the brain dies, the activity stops.
Lights out. Game over. The End. Fin.

Not even oblivion. Not even nothing. Not even there.
Like before you were born.

Non-existing.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And eventually, I'll point out that the entire talk of "spirits" or "souls" or whatever word you'll use to describe the mind to treat it as an entity on its own, is indistinguishable from imagination.
That is actually true because we can only imagine what the afterlife will be like until we die and see it....
It is at that time when it will become REAL, but it is good to know it exists before we die so we can do the prep work.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
That is actually true because we can only imagine what the afterlife will be like until we die and see it....

If it can't be distinguished from sheer imagination, then I'll to treat it as imagination.
Unfalsifiable ideas are infinite in number.

It is at that time when it will become REAL, but it is good to know it exists before we die so we can do the prep work.

You just agreed that it can't be known to exist, since it can't be distinguished from imagination.

It has the same evidence going for it as undetectable magical unicorns or pink graviton fairies do.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If it can't be distinguished from sheer imagination, then I'll to treat it as imagination

You just agreed that it can't be known to exist, since it can't be distinguished from imagination.
No, I said that we can only imagine what the afterlife will be like, I never said we cannot know it exists.
It has the same evidence going for it as undetectable magical unicorns or pink graviton fairies do.
No, it has more evidence going of it than that, notwithstanding the fact that you would not consider it evidence.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I would still really love for anybody to explain to me why a mere human anaesthesiologist can deprive of my own consciousness, my own sense of my own existence, for hours at a time during a surgery, using a few fairly simple chemicals that affect my brain --- and yet

If my brain is mashed to smithereens on the windshield of a crashed car, I'll get to keep my consciousness.

Or does "spiritual" mean "non-conscious?" And if that is the case, what is there for you to look forward to, as you will be eternally unconscious of it?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
At the end of WW2 Western societies returned to their old norms, and customary authorities ─ politicians, newspapers, recognized authorities, churches, civic clubs like Rotary and Lions, and so on. The effect was a much more homogenized range of thought in society. In the 1950s the pill arrived and began Women's Lib. By then most homes had a TV, and no longer had to go out to be entertained. In the 60s came a generation of experimenters, convention kickers, and new thinking. By the end of the 1970s the age of the home computer was dawning. Then the cell phone, the internet, all the way through to present public media, Facebook, Twitter, blah blah.

And sociologists have long remarked that these processes were accompanied by a decline in the number of people joining social clubs, a collapse of the old centers of authority, and the rise of a far more fragmented society whose subgroups had their own setups for values, information, and social mixing.

The decline of the churches is not only the result of better education, and the appreciation of science's skepticism, but also the collapse of the old order as technology gave the individual more and more and more personal options about what to watch and who to listen to.

It'd be seriously interesting to catch a glimpse of the world as it will be in 2071.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I would still really love for anybody to explain to me why a mere human anaesthesiologist can deprive of my own consciousness, my own sense of my own existence, for hours at a time during a surgery, using a few fairly simple chemicals that affect my brain --- and yet

If my brain is mashed to smithereens on the windshield of a crashed car, I'll get to keep my consciousness.
There is a very simple answer to your question, it is because you have a soul and the soul is responsible for consciousness.
The soul works through the brain while we are alive in a physical body, but after we die we get a spiritual body and the soul works through that body.
Or does "spiritual" mean "non-conscious?" And if that is the case, what is there for you to look forward to, as you will be eternally unconscious of it?
No, spiritual does not mean non-conscious and in fact after we die and divest ourselves of our physical body our consciousness will be heightened because the body/brain will no longer be an impediment to the soul. We will be like a bird let out of the cage; the cage is our physical body.

The soul is like the light of the lamp. An external object may interfere with its brightness, but the light itself continues to shine. Or think about the soul as the sun above the clouds. The clouds are simply preventing us from seeing the sunshine, but the sun is shining just as brightly nevertheless.

Every illness afflicting the body of man is an impediment that prevents the soul from manifesting its inherent might and power. When the soul leaves the body, however, it will be unaffected by any bodily ailments and it will be able to fully manifest its power.

“Know thou that the soul of man is exalted above, and is independent of all infirmities of body or mind. That a sick person showeth signs of weakness is due to the hindrances that interpose themselves between his soul and his body, for the soul itself remaineth unaffected by any bodily ailments.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 153-154

The entire passage is on this link:

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, LXXX