• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you American churchgoers find accents bothersome in church?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
There was this swedish chef with a cooking show but his accent was so thick that I couldn't follow his instructions at all.

When Pewdiepie, aka Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg, who is born and raised in Sweden, speaks in English about his Swedish meat balls, I perfectly understand what he is talking about. :D

mqdefault.jpg

I bet there are some people who'd find Pewdiepie's Swedish meat balls to be pretty tasty.

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

Yes, because English is spoken all over the island of Great Britain and Ireland, which is divided into four Kingdoms, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. English is not synonymous with British and never has been.

We have 2 assistant pastors of the 4 total pastors who both have strong accents and no one is bothered by it Some of the visiting speakers have strong accents and people enjoy their sermons since they have great content.

There are also people at church who are refugees or people who moved form other countries and I find it refreshing to have the different people all together - old young different.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yes, because English is spoken all over the island of Great Britain and Ireland, which is divided into four Kingdoms, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. English is not synonymous with British and never has been.

Agreed, that was just more nuanced then I wanted to be in my original post.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
We have 2 assistant pastors of the 4 total pastors who both have strong accents and no one is bothered by it Some of the visiting speakers have strong accents and people enjoy their sermons since they have great content.

You asked everyone?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Agreed, that was just more nuanced then I wanted to be in my original post.
Could I just politely ask you not to use those two this way though? There's enough US confusion over this for some reason.

Erebus

However, I don't seem to mind British accents of educated people in church so much because of their classiness, politeness, elegance and sounding scholarly. The classiness of the British vernacular sounds particularly solemn, respectful and pious as well. I can still understand British for the most part being that I'm a native English language speaker.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Could I just politely ask you not to use those two this way though? There's enough US confusion over this for some reason.

You can politely ask anything you would like, and I will politely decline. American English and British English are varying dialects of modern English which makes them nominally distinct enough to be regarded as seperate, IMO.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You can politely ask anything you would like, and I will politely decline. American English and British English are varying dialects of modern English which makes them nominally distinct enough to be regarded as seperate, IMO.
I am not asking this, I am asking you not to use British and English interchangeably.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I had a local Oklahoma Catholic radio station on this morning. A priest was saying mass or something with a perceived Spanish accent even in Oklahoma.

I find it difficult to understand and distracting from the message being spoken. As a person raised in a culture that speaks the standard American dialect, I also find New England, Southern and New York accents annoying as well as most foreign accents, in church or otherwise. However, I don't seem to mind British accents of educated people in church so much because of their classiness, politeness, elegance and sounding scholarly. The classiness of the British vernacular sounds particularly solemn, respectful and pious as well. I can still understand British for the most part being that I'm a native English language speaker. Spanish, or English spoken with its accent, sounds too rude, short, saucy and impatient being that patience and politeness is not much of a virtue in the Latin culture.
So, people who don't talk like you shouldn't talk in churches?
Seriously?

When I was a Catholic kid, the various accents were considered evidence that our church was The One True church.
Global.
Jesus's Own Church.

Sorry if you belong to a smaller, more provincial, church. But it's not my fault.
Tom

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I had a local Oklahoma Catholic radio station on this morning. A priest was saying mass or something with a perceived Spanish accent even in Oklahoma.

I find it difficult to understand and distracting from the message being spoken. As a person raised in a culture that speaks the standard American dialect, I also find New England, Southern and New York accents annoying as well as most foreign accents, in church or otherwise. However, I don't seem to mind British accents of educated people in church so much because of their classiness, politeness, elegance and sounding scholarly. The classiness of the British vernacular sounds particularly solemn, respectful and pious as well. I can still understand British for the most part being that I'm a native English language speaker. Spanish, or English spoken with its accent, sounds too rude, short, saucy and impatient being that patience and politeness is not much of a virtue in the Latin culture.
Not really. If I can understand them, it's good enough for me. But then again I'm also a language nerd and enjoy figuring out accents and identifying particular phonological peculiarities and intonational patterns of people's accents.

Then again, I've also worshipped in Orthodox churches which were 50% in Greek, 90% in Romanian, and 100% in Russian, and 100% in Greek, so after those experiences, I'm more than fine as long as the Liturgy is 50% in a language I can understand or there are books on hand for me to follow along with what's happening. And even if I understand hardly a word, I'm in God's house, and I can worship Him along with my fellow members in the Body of Christ and partake of the Eucharist.

Just give thanks to God that you have a church you can go to and worship God and (I presume) receive the Eucharist. At the end of the day, that's what matters, not what you "get out" of going to Mass.

sealchan

No

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If you can't deal with accents, America might just not be for you. We have tons of them, foreign and our own. If they annoy you, this is going to be a rough place.