1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Do you American churchgoers find accents bothersome in church?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Jonathan Bailey, May 26, 2019.

1. Jonathan Bailey

Ratings:
    +53
    Religion:
    Considering getting back into the fold: coming home to Jesus in an Affirmed Church this time.
    I had a local Oklahoma Catholic radio station on this morning. A priest was saying mass or something with a perceived Spanish accent even in Oklahoma.

I find it difficult to understand and distracting from the message being spoken. As a person raised in a culture that speaks the standard American dialect, I also find New England, Southern and New York accents annoying as well as most foreign accents, in church or otherwise. However, I don't seem to mind British accents of educated people in church so much because of their classiness, politeness, elegance and sounding scholarly. The classiness of the British vernacular sounds particularly solemn, respectful and pious as well. I can still understand British for the most part being that I'm a native English language speaker. Spanish, or English spoken with its accent, sounds too rude, short, saucy and impatient being that patience and politeness is not much of a virtue in the Latin culture.

#1 Jonathan Bailey, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,669
    Not a problem to me.

3. Rival

Rival Noachide Counter-Revolutionary
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,918
    Religion:
    בת נח
    I'm pretty sure G-d doesn't care about your accent.

You become used to hearing it after a short while.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +7,873
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    There was this Irish guy on the radio.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Jonathan Bailey

Ratings:
    +53
    Religion:
    Considering getting back into the fold: coming home to Jesus in an Affirmed Church this time.
    And perhaps the accent demands you to listen more carefully?

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Jonathan Bailey

Ratings:
    +53
    Religion:
    and?

Was the Irish guy supporting the kelly green aerial rooftop radio antenna?

the definition of guy

guy2
    [ gahy ]

noun

a rope, cable, or appliance used to guide and steady an object being hoisted or lowered, or to secure anything likely to shift its position.

verb (used with object), guyed, guy·ing.

to guide, steady, or secure with a guy or guys.

ORIGIN OF GUY

1300–50; Middle English gye < Old French guie a guide, derivative of guier to guide

7. Father Heathen

Father Heathen Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,665
    There was this swedish chef with a cooking show but his accent was so thick that I couldn't follow his instructions at all.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Resident Hermit

Ratings:
    +6,065
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    For me, the message is far more important than the accent with which it's delivered.

I had a difficult time understanding Hindu sages in videos when I first set out to learn more about nondualism and Hindu philosophies, but I've grown used to the accent and no longer have any difficulty in understanding what's being said.

I think if one truly wants to understand the message, one will find a way to overcome the barrier.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Hammer

The Hammer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +647
    Religion:
    Seiðmaðr
    I don't know where you get off saying Latin culture is impolite or lacking in patience. It appears to me, that you have never set foot inside of a "Latin" country for any extended period of time, let alone experienced what their "culture" is, outside of maybe your immediate dealings with Hispanic people's in a service industry aspect. By calling out one dialect as classy and polite (British) and another rude (Hispanic), you make apparent your own ingrained biases.

Do you know how dialects and accents work? Did you know that if you don't learn a 2nd language before the age of 25 or so, you will always speak the new language with an "accent" (your mouth and brain physically cannot make some sounds and vocal motions). They can be immitated but never emulated. Maybe try reading a book about linguistics and cultural variants.

BTW: if you think "British English" is understandable, you've never been to England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales either (all British English speakers). (Irish/Scottish/Welsh aren't really spoken).

10. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Resident Hermit

Ratings:
    +6,065
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    I have no problem understanding Brits. But it's probably from my years of watching Benny Hill as a child.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. The Hammer

Ratings:
    +647
    Religion:
    Seiðmaðr
    I was more referring to the accents of Welsh/Irish/Scottish vs British but I guess I could have been clearer.

12. Jonathan Bailey

Ratings:
    +53
    Religion:
    And my years of listening to Beatles songs.

13. It Aint Necessarily So

It Aint Necessarily So Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,207
    Religion:
    None
    I'm a native English speaker as well, but I rely on subtitles to understand British TV and movies.

It seems like too much work to speak like that, moving most of ones jaw and lower face just to utter a syllable. I'd need a break mid-sentence.

Now there's an interesting accent. It made Scarlett sound sexy, and Gomer sound like he had had a stroke. Consider Ellie Mae and Jethro.

That helps. And you can learn about the language and culture as well - "Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get." A what? "She's the kind of a girl who makes the News of the World" The what? "Monday morning, turning back Yellow lorry slow, nowhere to go" What?

Disagree. But this isn't the place to go into it.

14. Salvador

Salvador Conscious Being

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Religion:
    Matrixism and Swedenborgianism
    My normal accent is standard American English; however, I'm particular fond of non-rhotic English accents like how many North Eastern Americans speak. I find the drawing out of vowels from a Southern American English accent to be just a bit too much for my liking. However, once I know a Southerner American is a fellow Trump supporter like me, I forgive him for his southern draw.

[​IMG]

15. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,635
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    I like hearing people speaking with accents. It's a reminder of how we are all different, with different experiences and different wisdom to share.

16. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +3,635
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    They pronounce the H's in words like 'when' and 'where' down south, I LOVE that!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rival

Ratings:
    +11,918
    Religion:
    בת נח
    Vs English. Not British. Really wish people would stop making this mistake.

Also I have noticed a lot of US people have trouble with foreign accents, but many Brits don't. This an isolationist thing?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Jainarayan

Jainarayan ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय

Ratings:
    +7,117
    Religion:
    Hinduism, Vaishnava
    Years ago I worked with woman from India, who had a very thick accent. She was our data center tape librarian and pretty much kept to herself. And she was a sweetheart. Some of the managers were proposing they fire her because of a "communication problem". I was beyond furious at something that could be construed as racist Not to mention despicable in every way because, oh I didn't mention... she did one bang-up of a great job. I told them I didn't know what their problem was because I had no trouble understanding her. They said how. I said because I listen to her! Other people felt the way I did, so she stayed on.

• Like Like x 2
  19. The Hammer

Ratings:
    +647
    Religion:
    Seiðmaðr
    When I took linguistics we differentiated between British English and American English (mostly due to spelling and some pronunciation differences).
    As far as isolationist, very much the problem I think.

20. Rival

Ratings:
    +11,918
    Religion:
    בת נח
    Yes, because English is spoken all over the island of Great Britain and Ireland, which is divided into four Kingdoms, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. English is not synonymous with British and never has been.