• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Agree?

nPeace

Veteran Member
I watched a CNN cast condemn officers for not storming the classroom and taking out the gunman. One person even suggested those officers are not worthy to be cops, and should hand in their badge.
I watched the video - muted of course, since I didn't want to hear anything.
I think the first responders were not equipped either mentally, physically, or experienced enough to handle the situation.
The trained and equipped officers arrived 30 minutes later, and moved in a little after 15 minutes - no doubt after a briefing of the situation and planned action - taking out the gunman.
I think those CNN "experts" owe those cops an apology.
It seems many other people... including an ex chief of police agree with them.
What do you think... Would it have been wise for those cops to have stormed the classroom? What do you think might have been the outcome?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't agree. Cops need to put their lives on the line when it comes to saving other people's lives, especially children. If they don't they've violated what it means to be a cop and have earned the result.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The children seemed better prepared for an active shooter than the police. They obviously had a poor chain of command as far as their preparation goes.

I will concede that the cop on the ground has to follow orders, and it is hard for us to judge their decisions in the actual moment. It only points to how much added stress on our society and police that the easy access to guns causes. We do need to rethink our priorities as social beings who rely on a secure society to thrive and feel safe. More guns means less safety and security. Even the police can't cope as professionals to deal with these shootings.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I don't agree. Cops need to put their lives on the line when it comes to saving other people's lives, especially children. If they don't they've violated what it means to be a cop and have earned the result.
Do you mean be willing to sacrifice their life?

Thrillobyte

I watched a CNN cast condemn officers for not storming the classroom and taking out the gunman. One person even suggested those officers are not worthy to be cops, and should hand in their badge.
I watched the video - muted of course, since I didn't want to hear anything.
I think the first responders were not equipped either mentally, physically, or experienced enough to handle the situation.
The trained and equipped officers arrived 30 minutes later, and moved in a little after 15 minutes - no doubt after a briefing of the situation and planned action - taking out the gunman.
I think those CNN "experts" owe those cops an apology.
It seems many other people... including an ex chief of police agree with them.
What do you think... Would it have been wise for those cops to have stormed the classroom? What do you think might have been the outcome?

The cops were terrified. They never trained for this. They thought a job as a cop in a small border town would be an easy paycheck with very little danger to their lives. If I had been one of them I'd be peeing my pants standing outside wondering when they'd give me the order to storm the place. They stalled as long as they could to protect themselves. They wanted to help the kids but they were to cowardly. They should not be cops. Take off the star if you can't handle the danger.

PS is this a religious topic?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The cops were terrified. They never trained for this. They thought a job as a cop in a small border town would be an easy paycheck with very little danger to their lives. If I had been one of them I'd be peeing my pants standing outside wondering when they'd give me the order to storm the place. They stalled as long as they could to protect themselves. They wanted to help the kids but they were to cowardly. They should not be cops. Take off the star if you can't handle the danger.

PS is this a religious topic?
So now what might have happened if these police officers went into the room where the shooter was and the shooter killed them all and more children as well? Would that be better? Because that, too, could have happened. I am convinced that the proliferation of rampantly violent games and movies encourages such conduct in people that are off base mentally.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I will concede that the cop on the ground has to follow orders, and it is hard for us to judge their decisions in the actual moment. It only points to how much added stress on our society and police that the easy access to guns causes. We do need to rethink our priorities as social beings who rely on a secure society to thrive and feel safe. More guns means less safety and security. Even the police can't cope as professionals to deal with these shootings.
Who in the hell cares? In that situation I hope anyone who claims the serve and protect the public would say to hell with the orders.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So now what might have happened if these police officers went into the room where the shooter was and the shooter killed them all and more children as well? Would that be better? Because that, too, could have happened. I am convinced that the proliferation of rampantly violent games and movies encourages such conduct in people that are off base mentally.
Then why don't we see that in other places? Like Japan. You think American my media is violent, holy damn it cannot compare to Japanese media. But yet violence is so rare there that it made their ex-Prime Minister being assassinated absolutely shocking.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Shouldn’t that disqualify them from being cops?
So the situation does not matter?
Why not rush into a building with a hostage situation, and squash SWAT? No need to call them in any situation.
They should not even take cover behind their vehicles either. Just stand in the open with guns blazing.

The first responders - the cops that went into the building 2 minutes behind the gunman, were the cops that were chasing the truck the gunman lost control of, and crashed.
That's why they got there so quickly.

They are regular street cops, who police the streets, and deal with traffic violations.
They give chase where the criminal tries to get away.
They call SWAT where there is an armed and dangerous menace. They don't put their lives in danger. They wait until SWAT arrives.
That's not wise?

I think people watch too many movies, and then think that's how real life plays out.

Then when cops shoot, out of fear for their lives, they are called criminals.

It's a tough job. Most cops work hard at doing a good job.
Some of these are fathers and mothers, husbands and wives, who want to go home to their families They deserve some credit, I think.

Getting the full picture helps too.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Absolutely, that's what it takes to be in the public service protection sector. I say that as a military veteran. A lot of cops are also ex military (not all but enough). If you aren't willing to die, or take that chance, don't become a police officer or join the military.
Even if it means dying foolishly?

nPeace

Veteran Member
For a moment there, I thought I was the only rational person here. Thanks for that.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Foolish, isn't for me to decide. Rushing in isn't necessarily a foolish endeavor. They are trained for this sort of thing. And they know the risks of their job, just as I did.
Really? How do you know this? Have you seen them in training?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
What do you think... Would it have been wise for those cops to have stormed the classroom?
They were clearly not "Rambo equivalents" hence it was right to not storm the classroom

Their superior should have send a better team straightway to solve it quicker, but maybe those were still asleep or busy somewhere else

I just wonder why he send those in, the Phonecall should have given the superior a hint that this was very dangerous; best team should have been send in immediately. Maybe he thought "better this than nothing for the coming 30 minutes"

But the other team arrived in 30 min, so I guess that is the fastest they can work in the US, Right? I don't know how remote area it was. US is big

If that is the case then I think they did the best they could

What do you think might have been the outcome?
Officers could have been killed, leaving orphaned kids etc. Also not desirable

Anyway, policemen risking their life for others getting a relatively low income, I don't criticize quickly. I could not do what they do

nPeace

Veteran Member
They were clearly not "Rambo equivalents" hence it was right to not storm the classroom

Their superior should have send a better team straightway to solve it quicker, but maybe those were still asleep or busy somewhere else

I just wonder why he send those in, the Phonecall should have given the superior a hint that this was very dangerous; best team should have been send in immediately. Maybe he thought "better this than nothing for the coming 30 minutes"

But the other team arrived in 30 min, so I guess that is the fastest they can work in the US, Right? I don't know how remote area it was. US is big

If that is the case then I think they did the best they could

Officers could have been killed, leaving orphaned kids etc. Also not desirable

Anyway, policemen risking their life for others getting a relatively low income, I don't criticize quickly. I could not do what they do
The first responders were not sent there. They were behind the gunman, giving chase when he crashed. They went into the building behind him.
SWAT got the call, and were on their way, but sometimes take minutes because of where they may be at the time.

If the gunman had not crashed in front of the school, that incident would not have happened. SWAT would have caught up with him, or the cops, and I am sure his windshield would have been peppered. He was not about to go back to prison, and decided to take out his rage on little ones.

It was an unfortunate turn of events... and who know what influenced his mind.