• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you agree with your entity(s)?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If you pray to God or spiritual entities, what is your reason for doing so? Do you like the deity(s) you pray to? Do you agree with him/her?

I personally believe in Yahweh as the creator of Heaven and Earth, and I worship Him, but I really don't like him.

What keeps me praying to him is I know he can keep me off the drugs and from hurting myself and other people. I'm sick in the head and have gotten a lot better through prayer. I used to have to be restrained all the time and injected with antipsychotics.

I pray to God because it's the only thing I can think of that's going to stop me from doing those things.

I've tried getting professional help. It doesn't work. I kid you not, I'm on a fact team, so a mental health professional visits me every single day. I'm on probation and monitored and go to group therapy and take meds.

I find that getting professional help and taking medication does very little good if I'm not praying.

Prayer is what helps the most.

But I really don't like Yahweh. He killed people for stupid reasons like picking up sticks on the Sabbath.
He ordered the Israelites to annihilate entire cities. He seems like a Fascist Dictator. But he was going to destroy Israel, and Moses got him to change his mind. So I pray to God, not because I like him, but because I think he can change his mind and not be such a tyrant.

I also don't like how he hides himself and refuses to speak up , and leaves the world in confusion. There's a lot of things I don't like about God.

But I know from experience he can help me make better choices that don't hurt myself or others.

What are your reasons? Do you like and agree with your Entitie(s)?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I do acknowledge and feel love toward deities I venerate, such as Indra. At the same time, I don't think they're perfect beings. I don't think people are perfect either. Indra may do, or may have done in the past things I'd find morally not so good. However, Indra is said to have taken refuge in the Triple Gem, so I try to 'have faith' Indra isn't still womanizing and slinging his thunder everywhere.

Jumi

I don't think God is anything like humans, so agreeing or disagreeing seems odd to me.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I do trust Indra yes, and I know this is drawing on my worldview again, but- the Buddha trusted Indra. Indra is said to have protected the Buddha and witnessed all his teachings. However, I'm polytheistic, so getting into every deity there is could take awhile.

syo

If you pray to God or spiritual entities, what is your reason for doing so? Do you like the deity(s) you pray to? Do you agree with him/her?
i see the christian god as our father and jesus as the perfect being full of love. i pray daily and i light candles. it is good to know that there are things higher than us that can destroy our egoism. our egoism is killing us day by day. that's why we need jesus, to have a humble heart.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I love HaShem. I can't not love HaShem and whenever I tried my life fell apart.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't take scripture literally or in some cases even symbolically accurate. I don't consider the divine an entity.

I'm not sure I would even be alive today if it was not for my connection to the Divine.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't take scripture literally or in some cases even symbolically accurate. I don't consider the divine an entity.

I'm not sure I would even be alive today if it was not for my connection to the Divine.
What is your opinion about the Jewish scripture as a whole, if I might ask? I'm just curious about your overall religious position.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I pray for understanding, teaching, forgiveness. Though 'forgiveness' is not as big a deal as in other religions... we view God as pretty chill and very easy to please; he lets karma do the dirty work. :D It's almost impossible to get him cheesed off, though some beings have done a marvelous job of it. I pray to know him better, for strength, for good things in life, and for eventual liberation and moksha.

I personally believe in Yahweh as the creator of Heaven and Earth, and I worship Him, but I really don't like him.

I have unbridled and unmitigated love for God and Goddess in all their forms.

What keeps me praying to him is I know he can keep me off the drugs and from hurting myself and other people. I'm sick in the head and have gotten a lot better through prayer. I used to have to be restrained all the time and injected with antipsychotics.

I pray to God because it's the only thing I can think of that's going to stop me from doing those things.

You're not isolated or unique in that. I think a lot of people, if not most, pray to their God for those sorts of things.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What is your opinion about the Jewish scripture as a whole, if I might ask? I'm just curious about your overall religious position.

I don't accept much of the rituals and customs in use today, but the essential message I embrace as I embrace the essential message from other religious traditions.

As a whole, I find much that is both beautiful and true, if rightly interpreted. I find nourishment in the facebook "Lights of Kabbalah" group. I quoted some posts from there in my journal thread: Sunrise123's inspirations and ruminations

Back decades ago in the magazine Psychology Today, May 1969, there was an article on the Zaddik that affected my life partly by introducing me to the Baal Shem Tov. The impact on me can be noted because I still have that month's issue.

In that article was this quote: "Every person should have two pockets. In one should be a piece of paper on which is written: “I am but dust and ashes.” In the other: “For my sake was the world created.” Rabbi Simcha Bunim of Pshish’cha

And this one as well: "As one student said: ' I did not go to my zaddik to learn Torah from him, but to watch him tie his bootlaces'" That profound message that seized my attention was that anyone can throw out words, some with intellectual rigor. Someone worth listening to lives the message not just parrots it. And the attitude is not "accept what I say because I know more than you" but rather like an elder brother or sister who has lived what I'm going through now and who understands from experience what I'm going through and can offer a helping hand.

Holdasown

I left Christianity for the gods I have now because I find them more honest then the Christian god was. I don't like all the choices they may make based on what is in myth but I am not perfect either and more importantly they don't claim to be. I also feel they don't try to hide or limit my spiritually and expect me to honor the land and the dead. Something the Christian god doesn't seem to care about in any way.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I've tried getting professional help. It doesn't work. I kid you not, I'm on a fact team, so a mental health professional visits me every single day. I'm on probation and monitored and go to group therapy and take meds.

I find that getting professional help and taking medication does very little good if I'm not praying.

Prayer is what helps the most.

But I really don't like Yahweh. He killed people for stupid reasons like picking up sticks on the Sabbath.
He ordered the Israelites to annihilate entire cities. He seems like a Fascist Dictator. But he was going to destroy Israel, and Moses got him to change his mind. So I pray to God, not because I like him, but because I think he can change his mind and not be such a tyrant.

I also don't like how he hides himself and refuses to speak up , and leaves the world in confusion. There's a lot of things I don't like about God.

But I know from experience he can help me make better choices that don't hurt myself or others.

What are your reasons? Do you like and agree with your Entitie(s)?

Why stick with a God you don't like?

Sure there are spiritual benefits but these same benefits seem to be available to the followers of other Gods.

If you really need to stay with the same God, I'd recommend finding out if a Quaker Fellowship is available in your area.

It's probably tough on your own to change your views about God but if you get involved in a community, a lot of the positive aspects of God will be reinforced.

If you immerse yourself in a positive environment you can't help but become a more positive person yourself.