• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you accuse God of being bad when you suffer?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Are you a person who accusing God for being bad or evil because you your self is suffering in this life?

How about when things really go well in life for you? Do you praise God/Allah for being good toward you?

(Remember this debate is about how you do it, Not about how the OP starter do or think about the question)

RestlessSoul

I rage and shake my fist at God quite often, yes. When I suffer, and when my loved ones suffer. I have the emotional maturity of a child sometimes, but I’m fairly sure that God loves all his/her children. And my emotional outbursts are hardly unprecedented;
“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?”

More important imo, is remembering to thank God for all the blessings I see around me, even on the darkest days.

Vee

Premium Member
Are you a person who accusing God for being bad or evil because you your self is suffering in this life?

How about when things really go well in life for you? Do you praise God/Allah for being good toward you?

(Remember this debate is about how you do it, Not about how the OP starter do or think about the question)

I've never suffered from anything caused by God, so no, I've never felt the need to accuse him of anything. Every painful moment I've had in my life was caused either by other people, or by my own bad choices. Can't blame God for that.

I try to keep a grateful attitude so every day I thank God for the good things I have. The earth where I live, the fact that I've never gone hungry, always had a roof over my head, clothes and so far, good health. I also have a few good friends I spend good moments with, and that is priceless.
Even in my worst moments I've always had good things to be happy about. I don't ask God to shelter me from bad experiences, but I ask him for the strength to deal with whatever may come my way so I can overcome the problem.

Nimos

This is obviously speculative, but if I did believe in God, I don't think, if I would blame him for personal suffering. Because in that case, you might as well accuse God, when you stumble over your own feet and hurt your knee or if someone accidentally hit you on your bike or something.

But I would blame him for natural evil and the lack of good in certain places, when looking at it from a global perspective, where human responsibility can't be the cause.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I just accept when things go wrong and accept when things go right. It's the way things work so nothing to really blame aside from minding some karmic aspects as it relates to cause and effect.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Yes I do blame God when I suffer or my loved ones suffer or worse yet die. My loved one just happen to be my cats and I have suffered mostly because I have lost so many, more last year than ever before in one year.
Why do i get angry at God and blame God? Well, because God created this material world in which humans and animals suffer and die, so it is obvious God is to blame, logically speaking.

Job 1:21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.

Why blessed be the name of the Lord" who taketh away? That makes no sense at all.

How about when things really go well in life for me? Well, I will let you know what I would do when that ever happens. ;):(

Nevertheless, I try to be thankful to God for the small things I have, like the cats that are still alive and healthy and all the wild animals and birds I watch on my deck. I am thankful my husband is still alive and that I have good health and economic security for life. On the surface it does not seem like I really have that much to complain about, but feelings are not on the surface, they are just below it.

Usually, after I have an outburst at God I realize I was wrong and God is good regardless of my suffering, or is He?

I have a new thread I am going to post that is related to your OP. I already wrote it but it won't be released till the weekend, so stay tuned. ;)

The thread title will be: What’s up with God? Is He really after us sending us tests?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes I do blame God when I suffer or my loved ones suffer or worse yet die. My loved one just happen to be my cats and I have suffered mostly because I have lost so many, more last year than ever before in one year.
Why do i get angry at God and blame God? Well, because God created this material world in which humans and animals suffer and die, so it is obvious God is to blame, logically speaking.

Job 1:21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.

Why blessed be the name of the Lord" who taketh away? That makes no sense at all.

How about when things really go well in life for me? Well, I will let you know what I would do when that ever happens. ;):(

Nevertheless, I try to be thankful to God for the small things I have, like the cats that are still alive and healthy and all the wild animals and birds I watch on my deck. I am thankful my husband is still alive and that I have good health and economic security for life. On the surface it does not seem like I really have that much to complain about, but feelings are not on the surface, they are just below it.

Usually, after I have an outburst at God I realize I was wrong and God is good regardless of my suffering, or is He?

I have a new thread I am going to post that is related to your OP. I already wrote it but it won't be released till the weekend, so stay tuned. ;)

The thread title will be: What’s up with God? Is He really after us sending us tests?
I will take part in your new OP when you release it :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But I would blame him for natural evil and the lack of good in certain places, when looking at it from a global perspective, where human responsibility can't be the cause.
Wake up and smell the coffee my friend Nimos. ;) Humans are only responsible for their moral choices, not for anything else bad that happens to them. Did you forget that very long discussion we had about fate and free will a while ago?

Here it is in a nutshell:

Question.—Is man a free agent in all his actions, or is he compelled and constrained?

Answer.—This question is one of the most important and abstruse of divine problems. If God wills, another day, at the beginning of dinner, we will undertake the explanation of this subject in detail; now we will explain it briefly, in a few words, as follows. Some things are subject to the free will of man, such as justice, equity, tyranny and injustice, in other words, good and evil actions; it is evident and clear that these actions are, for the most part, left to the will of man. But there are certain things to which man is forced and compelled, such as sleep, death, sickness, decline of power, injuries and misfortunes; these are not subject to the will of man, and he is not responsible for them, for he is compelled to endure them. But in the choice of good and bad actions he is free, and he commits them according to his own will. Some Answered Questions, p. 248

To continue reading: 70: FREE WILL

And WHY is man forced to endure them? Because God set it up that way since that is the nature of the material world that God created, and we are forced to endure for some 80 years or so.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I rage and shake my fist at God quite often, yes. When I suffer, and when my loved ones suffer. I have the emotional maturity of a child sometimes, but I’m fairly sure that God loves all his/her children. And my emotional outbursts are hardly unprecedented;
“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?”
And all these years I thought I was the only one. ;)

RestlessSoul

And all these years I thought I was the only one. ;)

Ha, no. You are never alone.

A wise man once told me there is nothing you have ever done, said, or thought, that countless others haven’t done before. Nor any problem you will ever face, that countless others haven’t faced.

RestlessSoul

I believe in Allah, but would not accuse him of making my life difficult or full of different sufferings :) What i suffer was brought up on my self in many different ways

Yes, I think we are generally the architect of our own misfortunes. Not always, though. Sometimes we suffer, or witness others suffer, great injustice at the hands of others. How do you respond then? Do you forgive the person or people responsible for causing harm? Not always easy, I find

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes, I think we are generally the architect of our own misfortunes. Not always, though. Sometimes we suffer, or witness others suffer, great injustice at the hands of others. How do you respond then? Do you forgive the person or people responsible for causing harm? Not always easy, I find
If i see others suffering i will help them if i can( and if they wanted my help)

Yes i always forgive others who may have harmed me intentionally or unintentionally.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

No and no.

Ultimately, how I react to the events in my life is my responsibility, not that of another and certainly not that of any divine being. Whether I suffer or feel blessed falls entirely on me.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This is obviously speculative, but if I did believe in God, I don't think, if I would blame him for personal suffering. Because in that case, you might as well accuse God, when you stumble over your own feet and hurt your knee or if someone accidentally hit you on your bike or something.

Why or how would a god that has no control over your tripping over your feet or someone hitting you on your bike have any control over the natural evil or lack of good in certain places?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Wake up and smell the coffee my friend Nimos. ;) Humans are only responsible for their moral choices, not for anything else bad that happens to them.

So if I trip over my feet or cut myself with a knife, that’s God’s doing?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I think it would be intellectually honest to blame Him when things go wrong, if we thank Him when things go right.
Or, more rationally, do neither of them.

Ciao

- viole

Nimos

Wake up and smell the coffee my friend Nimos. ;) Humans are only responsible for their moral choices, not for anything else bad that happens to them. Did you forget that very long discussion we had about fate and free will a while ago?

Why or how would a god that has no control over your tripping over your feet or someone hitting you on your bike have any control over the natural evil or lack of good in certain places?
I think it depends how you look at it, in certain cases clearly hurting your knee can be considered very bad, like if you are trying to escape a predator. I don't refer to cases like that, but more like you being unlucky with no issues following that. Like waking up in the morning and hitting your toe, you wouldn't instantly start cursing God for it.

So to me it wouldn't be that God had no control over me tripping over my feets or not, but rather the opposite. It's more that God allows bad/evil things. If he has the power to prevent it, but chooses not to, that I would have an issue with. And again, I do not see me tripping over my feets or an accident as evil, as it is not intentional. But whatever mechanics drives natural evil could and arguably should be prevented by a caring God.