• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we really KNOW *gravity*?

epronovost

All physics textbook should include this warning label:

"This textbook contains material on Gravity. Universal Gravity is a theory, not a fact, regarding the natural law of attraction. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered".

That's what a theory is. Only a complete moron would confuse theory and fact. A theory is the explanation of the relationship between facts and isn't absolute nor could it be a fact since it isn't a data point. Though the theory of gravity has withstood the test of time and has allowed us to better understand the cosmos and made numerous accurate prediction which is what we need and want in the first place. That's why I can use the theory of gravity to tell you that if you jump down the window of your house, you will fall. I could even calculate the speed.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

"This textbook contains material on Gravity. Universal Gravity is a theory, not a fact, regarding the natural law of attraction. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered".

Of course gravity is a theory, hence why it is called "the theory of gravity". Maybe you need to learn the meaning of a scientific theory.

And the second underlined sentence, wahoo, we have a winner but i honestly doubt you see the hypocrisy.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Only a complete moron would confuse theory and fact. A theory is the explanation of the relationship between facts and isn't absolute nor could it be a fact since it isn't a data point.
Excactly so. There are NO dynamic data attached to "gravity" as it is *occult.*

Native

Though the theory of gravity has withstood the test of time and has allowed us to better understand the cosmos and made numerous accurate prediction which is what we need and want in the first place.
All assumptions based on the initial assumption which lacks real data and which constantly requires more assumptions a la "dark matter" and so on to keep on the initial assumption going.

epronovost

Excactly so. There are NO dynamic data attached to "gravity" as it is *occult.*

That's incorrect. The movement of matter and energy is data for the theory of gravity. The theory of gravity is meant to explain the movement matter in the universe amongst to others.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Because I don´t believe in forces or energies which cannot be explained. That´s why.

So how do you explain E&M? What is the mechanism?

Also, why don't you believe in such? Do we need an explanation *before*? Why not *after* we test it and see if it works? Then, if we want, we can explore mechanisms.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh yes indeed as he just inserted an *occult agency* in his superstitious "gravity" assumption.

Yes. And it worked quite well. He left it to later people to see if they could find a mechanism. But the first step is to make sure that the calculations agree with observations.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Fringe mathematics? They are basically ubiquitous in algebra and differential geometry.

Tensors are used also in classical mechanics. For instance in the dynamics of solid objects, elasticity theory, etc. And in electromagnetism, too.
- viole

Exactly. Tensors are pretty basic things.

Strictly speaking, the E&M field is a tensor field. The individual electric and magnetic vector fields are joined together into the tensor.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

The only thing I would change is eliminate the words 'Gravity' and 'Universal Gravity' and replace them by 'Science' and 'Science'.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
All assumptions based on the initial assumption which lacks real data and which constantly requires more assumptions a la "dark matter" and so on to keep on the initial assumption going.
I can agree

science relies sooooooo much on scrunching numbers

and that's fair....to a point

what if Albert had not been so good at scrunching?

still.....to ASSUME dark energy and dark matter......just because the numbers say so
and then to INSIST it's there
though we have not the means to PROVE such things are real........

science crosses the line every now and then

watch that first step into the unknown
it's a dooozie

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I can agree

science relies sooooooo much on scrunching numbers

and that's fair....to a point

what if Albert had not been so good at scrunching?

still.....to ASSUME dark energy and dark matter......just because the numbers say so
and then to INSIST it's there
though we have not the means to PROVE such things are real........

science crosses the line every now and then

watch that first step into the unknown
it's a dooozie

Dark matter although it cannot be observed directly can be observed and measured indirectly. So yes, it is known to exist although it is unknown precisely what it is.

Dark energy is really just a place holder for observed phenomena that cannot be explained, any science paper citing dark energy will identify it as such. The problem being that popular media has no such qualms about accuracy and honesty so people get the wrong idea.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Dark matter although it cannot be observed directly can be observed and measured indirectly. So yes, it is known to exist although it is unknown precisely what it is.
just like.......God

God was god of the Darkness
before he created light

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The tax office doesnt think so
They're in the business of imagining everyone is Bill
Gates, Monty Burns, & Jeff Bezos all rolled into one.
When the house was built the horse and cart was a new invention and Revoltistan hadn't been thought of
Oh, Revoltistan had been thought of.
But wiser heads prevailed.

Native

So how do you explain E&M? What is the mechanism?
Don´t you know of the discovery of electromagnetism back in 1820 by Hans Christian Ørsted?
And it worked quite well.
Just because Newton knew of the planetary motions before he added his *occult agency*. In all other places on and above the Earth and far out in space, it´s still just assumptions and it didn´t help much with Einstein further speculations of Newtons hidden ghost.
But the first step is to make sure that the calculations agree with observations.
Nonsense. A genuine scientist would first make an observation, then use his/hers philosophical skills to find a pattern to which a theory could be ascribed.

First THEN can calculus taken to count. Newton evidently did it the wrong way too, which was why Einstein rejected Newtons assumption. "It isn´t even a force", he said.

Last edited: