• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do we need to go to church ?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
lilithu said:
Hey Michel, namaste. :)

The evidence of which I talk about is just a correlation between actively belonging to a church (or analogous body of worship) and both better mental health and living longer. It doesn't prove that worship of God is the cause. It could just be better emotional and physical support from a community of like-minded people - this feeling of belonging and being accepted.
Lilithu, Namaste.

Ok, that's it ! either I have to move to the States, or I have to form a UU church here! - I'm not sure my wife would be keen on either option though.:jiggy:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
michel said:
Ok, that's it ! either I have to move to the States, or I have to form a UU church here! - I'm not sure my wife would be keen on either option though.:jiggy:
Michel, I've been told that there is UU in the UK - in England at least, and maybe elsewhere. (Both Unitarianism and Universalism came to the U.S. via England.) It's not exactly the same as ours, but I would think that would be a good place to start. If you're not aware of them, let me do some digging for you. -lilith

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
lilithu said:
Michel, I've been told that there is UU in the UK - in England at least, and maybe elsewhere. (Both Unitarianism and Universalism came to the U.S. via England.) It's not exactly the same as ours, but I would think that would be a good place to start. If you're not aware of them, let me do some digging for you. -lilith
Namaste.
No need, thank you lilithu,

There are (locally) one or two small groups of unitarians. A member of the forum (and unfortunately I cannot think of his name ) recommended me to an 'On line Church' - which was very kind of him. If I really feel the need to go into a church, I can always wander in, and 'do my own thing' - but it would have been nice to meet people who think the way I do; as you have said, the idea of making friends in faith or as I would put it 'business can be mixed with pleasure' all the better!! We'll see.:)

prosecutor said:
This forum has made one thing very clear. Most who have responded have no concept of what the church is all about. I find it more and more the case as time passes that people want to worship and serve God in their own way in spite of the fact that Jesus said, "God is Spirit and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth" (John 4:23,24) Assembling of the saints is not an elective. If you think that these discussions are some form of "worship", you don't know the meaning of the word. People today want religion their way, to serve God their way, and then expect God to accept them. Folks, that is not the way God does things. He does not need us to tell Him how we should serve Him or worship Him. He needs us to be obedient. That means doing three things: (1) Do what He says; (2) Do what He says in the way He says do it; (3) Do what He says in the way He says do it for the reason or reasons He says do it.
Prosecutor
Now, I went to a christian church all my life, and I never got any thing out of it. I felt more in touch with god in my own home. The comandments say "keep holy the sabath day" this state ment says nothing about going to church on sunday. also, jesus summed up all the commandments by saying "love god, and love others". and when say "God is Spirit and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth" (John 4:23,24)
this says nothing about worshiping him in a church, now if I go outside and explore the earth, I am exploring what god has created for us, but if I go to church were I sit, keel, and stand in a stuufy, old building, I sing boring song that make me want to sleep, I may be worshiping,yes, but god would not want us to make us go through and waste a sunday when we can be living the creation of god.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Just a quick one from me, my mother, being raised in a huge Catholic family, doesn't go to church and hasn't since very young. I once asked her why she didn't go and she gave me this answer: God is everywhere and sees everything I do at all times anyway, He hears my prayers just as well at my bedside or anywhere I am as he would in a church.

I think this is a very healthy thought myself. The Divine is everywhere so they will know you and your heart whether in a church or not.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Draka said:
Just a quick one from me, my mother, being raised in a huge Catholic family, doesn't go to church and hasn't since very young. I once asked her why she didn't go and she gave me this answer: God is everywhere and sees everything I do at all times anyway, He hears my prayers just as well at my bedside or anywhere I am as he would in a church.

I think this is a very healthy thought myself. The Divine is everywhere so they will know you and your heart whether in a church or not.
You and your mother are right that God does not need us to go to church in order to know us. But church isn't for God. It's for people... because some of us benefit from worship together... because it helps us to better know God, and each other, and ourselves.

Tawn

Anyone seen the film 'Stigmata' ? Is there any truth to that... the idea that actually Jesus never wanted Churches to be built.. because Gods house is inside each of us.

Lycan, "Do I have the authority to tell people these things"? Yes, as a matter of fact I do. However that authority is deligated, not original with me. It comes from the God who exist and whom I serve and the one whom you will meet in His judgment. "These things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority" (Titus 2:15) I know you don't believe the Bible. However this will not change the fact you will be judged by it. (John 12:48) This is why I refuse to be silent on the matter. I know what is ahead for those who refuse to believe. It is sad you don't.
Prosecutor

Mossburg 32908, I would like for you to identify the standard that you use to determine what the word "worship" means. Also, is it not a shame that Jesus died for the church (Ephesians 5:25) when all one has to do is "go outside and explore the earth"? I must have missed that Bible passage that teaches us to do that as a form of "worship". Would you be so kind and direct me to the passages that teach this concept of worship.
Prosecutor

Lycan

Preternatural
Lycan, "Do I have the authority to tell people these things"? Yes, as a matter of fact I do. However that authority is deligated, not original with me.
So you know the intimate mind of your god?

It comes from the God who exist and whom I serve and the one whom you will meet in His judgment. "These things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority" (Titus 2:15)
Who you believe exists...

I know you don't believe the Bible. However this will not change the fact you will be judged by it. (John 12:48)
This is NOT A FACT. This is only YOUR OPINION. The only FACT that will not be changed is the FACT that just because you believe this god to be real that does not make it so.

This is why I refuse to be silent on the matter.
I do not ask that you be silent, only that you stop stating what you believe as fact.

I know what is ahead for those who refuse to believe.
You think you know...

ayani

Draka said:
The Divine is everywhere so they will know you and your heart whether in a church or not.
reminds me of something i heard an old fellah say once. he was sitting on his porch and we chatted for a while. he talked about God alot, so i asked if he was religious, and he said yes. i asked if he went to church and he said "well miss, i figure wherever i am i'm in church." i thought that was a really good answer. :)

hanessah,

I have been to church a few times in my life, and I honestly believe it was a waste of my time. That is my own preference, but of course I don't believe in god either. I believe that if you want to woriship a god, or the sun, or the color blue, or cream cheese, you can do that anywhere. A previous post mentioned enjoying worship in a park. Or even better, in your own house. Your love of your god does not deminish in places other than a church. Pray whereever you feel most in tune with your spirituality. I am not against other people worshiping a god; I just don't think they should rely on an organization to do it for them. vbmenu_register("postmenu_147301", true);

Draka

Wonder Woman
gracie said:
reminds me of something i heard an old fellah say once. he was sitting on his porch and we chatted for a while. he talked about God alot, so i asked if he was religious, and he said yes. i asked if he went to church and he said "well miss, i figure wherever i am i'm in church." i thought that was a really good answer. :)
I once read a book by a Wiccan author, can't remember which one now, and I remember she was saying how she was talking to a guy bagging her groceries at a store and they got into talking about religion and, it being a Sunday he asked if she went to church that day. When she said no and that she was Wiccan then he said something along the lines of "so you're in church all the time everywhere" I thought that was very profound. By integrating your belief into your everyday life, and finding inspiration and miracles of the Divine in all existence, you are effectively in constant worship no matter where you are.