• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do We Need a Pledge of Allegiance?

Do we need a pledge of allegiance?

• Yes, we need a pledge of allegiance.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • No, we do not need a pledge of allegiance.

Votes: 29 87.9%

• Total voters

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
There have been many RF threads discussing the words "Under God" in the U.S. Pledge of allegiance. My question is do we need a pledge of allegiance at all? If so, why?

PureX

Veteran Member
It's just an expression of national loyalty and solidarity. I don't think we need to make more of it than it is. As long as no one is being forced to make such a pledge, or punished for not making one, I think we can safely just let it be what it is.

PHOTOTAKER

under God is a term, what you belive in. in the early christiam day Christ preached and was sustianed that all men should preach acording to the dectates of there own hearts, it is this princable that the USA stand on the free to belive in what ever you want to belive in, whither it be science or Jesus Christ it is the same under the flag and protected under it, without it then we will forget what it means to have free and lieberities...

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
I see no need for a U.S. pledge of allegiance. It should be assumed that all U.S. citizens are loyal to this country unless they indicate by words or actions that they are not. Reciting a pledge is no proof of loyalty. A person who is dedicated to destroying this country could easily recite the pledge.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
PHOTOTAKER said:
under God is a term, what you belive in. in the early christiam day Christ preached and was sustianed that all men should preach acording to the dectates of there own hearts, it is this princable that the USA stand on the free to belive in what ever you want to belive in, whither it be science or Jesus Christ it is the same under the flag and protected under it, without it then we will forget what it means to have free and lieberities...
The words "under God" are not the topic of this thread. The topic is "Do we need a pledge of allegiance?"

PureX

Veteran Member
retrorich said:
I see no need for a U.S. pledge of allegiance. It should be assumed that all U.S. citizens are loyal to this country unless they indicate by words or actions that they are not. Reciting a pledge is no proof of loyalty. A person who is dedicated to destroying this country could easily recite the pledge.
But you and I may see no need for lots of things that other people just like to have around. I don't think there being no "need" for it justifies getting rid of it. And how do you propose that we get rid of it, anyway, make it illegal to say out loud?

M

Majikthise

No, I don't believe we "need" it at all. And it could use a few changes, or least omissions.

ayani

i think it's a bit silly. why should someone pledge their allegiance to the abstract concept of a nation? what if one is opposed to one's government's policies, legislation, or structure? should one be obliged to swear allegiance to these things? no, i don't see why they should. i asked a Czech friend about this, and he smiled and said how odd it looked to many Europeans to see american children with their hands over their hearts, swearing allegiance to their flag and country. he said it had always reminded him of the Hitler Youth.

cardero

Citizen Mod
When I was in Middle school I remember the kids who had religious preferences that were excused from saying the pledge of allegiance and a part of me wanted to go with them. Not so much for the same reasons but I always felt a bit uneasy of the ritual of standing and placing a right hand over a left heart and addressing a prayer towards a piece of cloth. I never understood what I was reciting and I was never consulted if it was something I believed in. To me a great nation wasn’t about history it wasn’t about government parties and policies it wasn’t about hymns or patriotic rituals and it wasn’t about iconic symbols. It was always about the people; people pulling together during rough times, making responsible decisions and insuring trust and love toward each other. Though we have a ways to go in achieving this greatness I do not see the necessity of a faithful flag or a traditional creed achieving these aspects.

PureX

Veteran Member
I agree that children should not be forced to say the pledge. But I didn't think that was the subject of this thread.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I don't think we need it, and like the other posters I find it really creepy we teach our children from a young age to recite it. It never really hit me how creepy it was until I heard my youngest sister (she's almost 4) recite it.

M

Majikthise

The only time I ever recited it in the military was at NCO training school, and that course was HEAVY on indoctrination.

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
cardero said:
When I was in Middle school I remember the kids who had religious preferences that were excused from saying the pledge of allegiance and a part of me wanted to go with them. Not so much for the same reasons but I always felt a bit uneasy of the ritual of standing and placing a right hand over a left heart and addressing a prayer towards a piece of cloth. I never understood what I was reciting and I was never consulted if it was something I believed in. To me a great nation wasn’t about history it wasn’t about government parties and policies it wasn’t about hymns or patriotic rituals and it wasn’t about iconic symbols. It was always about the people; people pulling together during rough times, making responsible decisions and insuring trust and love toward each other. Though we have a ways to go in achieving this greatness I do not see the necessity of a faithful flag or a traditional creed achieving these aspects.

My views are 100% in line with yours. You said exactly what I would have.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I'm not American ... well , not that type of American . :) North American , but not USian . ;) But IMHO there is no need for a " pledge of allegiance " in any " free country ". Here in Canada , we have a pledge to the Crown , something that is rarely heard any more , and something that the French Canadians never did care much for as one might expect .

arthra

Baha'i
Since the original pledge didn't have "under God" in it I think it was more inclusive and should be re-enstated. I think a pledge of allegiance is a good thing as it can unite people and provide inspiration... but we can and should revise these things from time to time..

Maybe we should have a new National Athem like the one in Canada... "America the beautiful" rather than the star spangled banner as the star strangled banner is too hard to sing ...very well anyway. And we should consider moving our national capital to ohh somewhere in the center of our country like Omaha... or considering Alaska maybe furtehr west.

Our new national flag could sport an eagle and a bear...forget all those stars! There's just too many of them to keep track of... Let's see the eagle could rise above the bear and have one red star above.

- Art

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
It's strange- I've never really thought about it before, but the Pledge is kind of unnerving. Whenever I've recited it, though, it brings back memories of standing in a crowd, everyone agreeing to say the same thing. For me, it was always a kind of peaceful experience, kind of like prayer.

I see now what Gracie's friend mentioned, though. It's rather like indoctrination.

krashlocke

It has its' time and place, such as ceremonies in which one earns their citizenship, &c. As with anything tied to pomp and ceremony, there's not necesarily a need for it, but it's still appreciated. There are certainly worse ways to inspire a small level of national pride.