• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we have any bridge players among us?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Used to play at club level but not played for 20-years, the ACOL system was what we played.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a serious bridge player and would like to discuss the game with anyone interested.
I understand that you use several decks and that the betting is complicated. I've no Bridge experience. I've played: Spades, Hearts, Texas Hold'm, Rook(like spades except highest bidder chooses the trump suite), and Gin. I've played a few other kid games.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Used to play at club level but not played for 20-years, the ACOL system was what we played.

I understand that that system is popular in the UK, but I have never learned it. I started with Standard American and then added 2-Over-1 Game Force with the Forcing 1NT convention later.

I think that I recall hearing that ACOL allowed opening 4-card majors. Is that correct?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I understand that you use several decks and that the betting is complicated. I've no Bridge experience. I've played: Spades, Hearts, Texas Hold'm, Rook(like spades except highest bidder chooses the trump suite), and Gin. I've played a few other kid games.

Bridge uses a single standard deck of four suits of 13 cards each, and doesn't generally include betting, but it can if you like. I've never played bridge for money.

I remember playing rook as a kid. Like bridge, spades and hearts, it is a trick taking game.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm a competent player, it's just that I find the game boring. (As a consolation I don't like any card games, per se.)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a competent player, it's just that I find the game boring. (As a consolation I don't like any card games, per se.)
Careful what you call boring! "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." -- Master Oogway

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I like bridge, and I'd be happy to join a conversation, although I'm rusty. As an aside, I would highly recommend a short story written by Robert Benchley entitled: "Not According to Hoyle". It's a hoot.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I understand that that system is popular in the UK, but I have never learned it. I started with Standard American and then added 2-Over-1 Game Force with the Forcing 1NT convention later.

I think that I recall hearing that ACOL allowed opening 4-card majors. Is that correct?
It was based on a weak no trump opening bid based on 12-14 points. You also had to have a balanced hand, i.e. no voids or singletons.
There are special bids, 2C is one.- a very strong hand 20+ points

Your partner's response was very prescribed too.

I think it s a very good learners system

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it counts. Can you count cards?

This is not the same as counting in blackjack. You're trying to determine the shape of an unseen hand held by an opponent - how many of each of the four suits he started with - which is useful to help decide which cards to discards and which to hold. We also like to count high card points. If declarer opened a 15-17 point 1 no-trump and has already produced three aces and a king, he doesn't have the fourth ace. If you can't see it in dummy or your own hand, partner holds it.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I play bridge, but have not been able to find a group in the small town of Hillsborough to play.

That was also my story from the late seventies, when I played bridge in college, until I rediscovered the game upon retirement and expatriating to a community of expats with a disproportionately large bridge contingent.

So, I dove in.

It's been a rich experience, and I was hoping to find others that followed a similar arc. It seems to be a dying game in the States, but not in the world.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
That was also my story from the late seventies, when I played bridge in college, until I rediscovered the game upon retirement and expatriating to a community of expats with a disproportionately large bridge contingent.

So, I dove in.

It's been a rich experience, and I was hoping to find others that followed a similar arc. It seems to be a dying game in the States, but not in the world.

You're probably just a few years ahead of me on that arc. I hope to find some players nearby as well. But I'm really rusty. You were asking earlier about bidding conventions and I have to look up what to call the conventions I used to try to follow. :)

I think I remember weak 2hearts? with a 6 card suit. 1nt is strong - 16-18. have to go look some stuff up...