• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we congratulate families that baptize their kids?

suncowiam

Sorry, this is not a debate but a general question. Couldn't really find the right forum.

I was just invited to my cousin's daughter baptism. My family and I can not make it.

Is it formal to congratulate them on the baptism? What's the etiquette here?

I'm not religious so I don't know but I want to be courteous to my cousin.

Thanks!

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Sorry, this is not a debate but a general question. Couldn't really find the right forum.

I was just invited to my cousin's daughter baptism. My family and I can not make it.

Thanks!
You can call and say congratulations, stop by a baby shower or a post-baptismal celebration or send a card as @columbus suggested.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It would be appropriate to congratulate the parents.

Sending a card would also be appropriate. In my experience, depending on how close you are to the family, a small monetary offering may be placed in the card.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I once sent a card featuring a black baby to a racist relative I don't much like.
Will I go to Hell for that?
Tom

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If you do send a card, don't forget to send another when their kid goes bobbing for apples during Halloween.

Heh, perhaps baptism could be referred to as "bobbing for salvation"?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If you do send a card, don't forget to send another when their kid goes bobbing for apples during Halloween.

Heh, perhaps baptism could be referred to as "bobbing for salvation"?
I was thinking that a gift certificate to Dunkin' Donuts might be thoughtful.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Thanks!

If its catholic, wear a modest outfit. I dont know if this full communion. If there is, dont take the Eucharist (big or smal group doesnt matter).

Since communion isnt an issue in most other churches (baptist, presbatarian, etc), dress semi formal and be yourself in any church.

If its a small group, some protestants ask your religious affiliation. Just say you dont practice or Im not christian. With catholics, usually I dont hear many people ask if one is catholic. Its generly assumed if you have mass.

It depends on how well you know the people rather than the church you go to. Outside of christian, i wouldnt know

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Generally speaking, yes. What can vary, however, are family traditions on this matter. A card is pretty much always appropriate, whereas sending a gift can vary from family to family.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Thanks!

Since there is No infant baptism in Scripture, then if an infant there is No scriptural etiquette.
If the daughter is old enough to first make her own dedication to God before baptism, then congratulations is fine.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Since there is No infant baptism in Scripture, then if an infant there is No scriptural etiquette.
If the daughter is old enough to first make her own dedication to God before baptism, then congratulations is fine.
I can well understand why you weren't invited.
Tom

suncowiam

Either or. I would go in person. It depends on how close the relationship is.

I would go in person if they were local. They're about 4 hours away and the baptism is 9:45 AM. Sorry, but that's hard on us plus we're not religious.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm probably sure they would like that more than a simple congratz card.
I'd write something like "Bon chance!" inside the card. I'm not totally thoughtless even when considering things of little to no consequence.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
For the life of me, I don't even know what you'd be congratulating them for. "Congrats....you gave your child no choice on the subject and had some guy sprinkle water on her, just like millions of people over the past couple thousand years."