• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do we believe the devil has horns and a pitchfork

Merlin

I was just curious from a verbal picture painted by a different thread on this forum. People also seemed to be reluctant to use the word devil. They kept using the expression 'you-know-who'. Does anybody know why I?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Merlin said:
I was just curious from a verbal picture painted by a different thread on this forum. People also seemed to be reluctant to use the word devil. They kept using the expression 'you-know-who'. Does anybody know why I?
know why I?
sorry, friend, why you what ?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Merlin said:
i have never used that expression to refer to the devil, to attribute such fear to the title only gives it stronger influence over you.

... ... ... providing you believe he exists (providing you believe the devil to be a "he")

Aqualung

Tasty
I usually refer to him as satan or the adversary, just out of personal prefernce. And I don't think he has horns or a pitchfork.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Merlin said:
Merlin, to be serious and answer your OP; I don't actually believe in the devil as a being. I believe that we all have the ability to do good or bad - our choice; the raison d’être
of our lives.;)

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
Merlin said:
hi Merlin,

I always thought it was a twenty something yuppie chick with a credit card.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I don't believe that Satan (and I certainly don't shy away from naming him) has horns and a pitch fork, though I do think he's real. I think that image is a peculiarly western one, from the time when the western Church was battling various pagan horned gods. In Orthodox iconography he's portrayed as what he is, a fallen angel. Generally speaking Satan is depicted as a black and rather ugly angelic figure. Of course this, like the depictions of angels with wings, is merely meant to be a visual representation of his spiritual state. Neither angels nor demons have actual physical bodies.

James

may

Aqualung said:
I usually refer to him as satan or the adversary, just out of personal prefernce. And I don't think he has horns or a pitchfork.
Yes i agree with this , but i think he was also the first one to tell a lie as well,
Now the serpent proved to be the most cautious of all the wild beasts of the field that Jehovah God had made. So it began to say to the woman: "Is it really so that God said YOU must not eat from every tree of the garden?" At this the woman said to the serpent: "Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat. But as for [eating] of the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden, God has said, ‘YOU must not eat from it, no, YOU must not touch it that YOU do not die.’" At this the serpent said to the woman: "YOU positively will not die. :tsk: oh dear he was the father of the lie and implied that God was telling lies

(Genesis 5:5) So all the days of Adam that he lived amounted to nine hundred and thirty years and he died. ..so God wasnt telling lies was he

(John 8:44) That one( satan the devil) was a manslayer when he began,(rebelling) and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of [the lie].​

(1 John 3:8) He who carries on sin originates with the Devil, because the Devil has been sinning from [the] beginning.(of his rebellion) For this purpose the Son of God was made manifest, namely, to break up the works of the Devil

ThisShouldMakeSense

nope, the devil hasn't got a fork or horns or a tail. Remember what he is, a fallen angel. he is a creation of God, just like all the other angels. He was given freewill, just like all the other angels, and he chose to rebel and earned his name devil, and satan, which are titles.
the bible also shows that the devil is a spirit being and isn't the 'evil within'. Think of Jesus' temtations and the account of Job appearing in heaven speaking to God. and the account in Revelation 12, where Satan was thrown out of heaven.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
May, your post makes me think more about JW's...that is excellent. :)

Do you believe the devil has a pitchfork and horns
ROFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLL...

IMO Satan is not physical but "spirtual". He did make appearances yes like the Revelations
dragon and also the Genesis Serpent.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps the image arose in medieval times to inculcate fear in the masses of illiterate peasants. A pitchfork would be a familiar tool and capable of close range torment.

Why Old Nick would have an implement for moving hay or straw, considering the region he dwelt in, is harder to explain... :rolleyes:

Merlin

ThisShouldMakeSense said:
nope, the devil hasn't got a fork or horns or a tail. Remember what he is, a fallen angel. he is a creation of God, just like all the other angels. He was given freewill, just like all the other angels, and he chose to rebel and earned his name devil, and satan, which are titles.
the bible also shows that the devil is a spirit being and isn't the 'evil within'. Think of Jesus' temtations and the account of Job appearing in heaven speaking to God. and the account in Revelation 12, where Satan was thrown out of heaven.
Do we think he is active today? If we do, how does he manifests himself (or herself I suppose). How do we recognise his works?

Aqualung

Tasty
Merlin said:
Do we think he is active today? If we do, how does he manifests himself (or herself I suppose). How do we recognise his works?
I think he is active. In fact, I know he is active.