• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do We Bear a Moral Obligation to Nature and/or the Environment?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Do we humans bear any moral obligation to nature and/or the environment?

If so, what is the ground or grounds for the obligation?

If so, what sort of obligation do we bear? How would you characterize it?
I don't look at this from a moral perspective. I just learned from an early age that you don't **** in the sandbox you are playing in. For me, it's more of a hygiene issue, morals and ethics be damned.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do We Bear a Moral Obligation to Nature and/or the Environment?

Whether we do or not, we dang sure bear an obligation to our grandkids, and this obligation will have much the same result.

LukeS

For me philosophically its about rational attraction to being. Personally I like natural beauty for starters, and so I'm attracted to being via that, just as I am a tidy home. I "bond" to existence more closely in comfort than in flight.

Also in terms of creatures, its good to promote caring attitudes, firstly because of the inherent "value" of their consciousness - it makes them different from rocks and stones, and secondly because rough inconsiderate people make for poor neighbours.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often

Where does life end in nature? There you will find the end of moral obligation.
All living beings have the right to live and fill their purpose even if that purpose is to be eaten by another animal. I characterize this obligation as simply care for other forms of life until it is their time. Help them continue their natural lives as long as you can.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well, if we care about our well-being, then I'd say yes, since we depend on nature to live. We could potentially live quite comfortable lives if we do. If not, then we're making our lives much harder or at worst, pretty much commit suicide.

And while it could be our collective choice as a species to take ourselves out of the picture, I feel it's unethical to take other lifeforms down with us. It's like a suicide bomber.

Also, a side note/thought/rant: I can't wrap my head around some people's complete disregard of nature with the fact that they have children. Do they not care about them?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

That moral obligation, to take care of the environment and respect nature, is an obligation to ourselves. Its is a recognition that we are integral to, rather than distinct from, the world. It is grounded in the right philosophy of kindness.

Silverscale derg

You can't say "we" to me for I am a dragon. Humans should respect nature. Earth worshipers like natives and pagans were on the right track, they were about peace, sure they hunted but they did so respectfully. Humans now do nothing but destroy nature. The grounds for it are you get one earth. We aren't remaking the earth for humans.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't look at this from a moral perspective. I just learned from an early age that you don't **** in the sandbox you are playing in. For me, it's more of a hygiene issue, morals and ethics be damned.
And I'd add that a healthy, diverse, & expansive natural environment is more interesting.
Now for the bad part.....
Population growth appears to be dooming that.