• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do 'we' all have souls?

Electra

Do we all have individual souls?

I have yet to research this topic,

something has happened personally that has really shed more light on this for me.

The other day I heard the term 'organic portal' and that they are 'human shells' that are basically shadows of who are around them. They don't have emotions, they just mimic whom is around them, these 'portals' are made from 'collective energy' and do not have individual souls.

At first I rejected this completely, then I got sad, now I am starting to acknowledge that this may be true.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

something has happened personally that has really shed more light on this for me.

The other day I heard the term 'organic portal' and that they are 'human shells' that are basically shadows of who are around them. They don't have emotions, they just mimic whom is around them, these 'portals' are made from 'collective energy' and do not have individual souls.

At first I rejected this completely, then I got sad, now I am starting to acknowledge that this may be true.
My best advice is to be very careful about what you decide to believe in. In theory, believing in such a thing as this, due to the powerful emotional charge of fear, could precipitate less than desirable outcomes.

Electra

My best advice is to be very careful about what you decide to believe in. In theory, believing in such a thing as this, due to the powerful emotional charge of fear, could precipitate less than desirable outcomes.

how would this create fear?

I guess it depends on the person.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Why don't you ask yourself and find out? (Yeah, seems simple... it is...)

However, perhaps more perplexing is that you might not even be the soul. Ask yourself about that too.. (A "soul" is basically your mind/consciousness sans a body...) If you go digging around in there you might find that even that isn't real, and something else is. :D

Do some research on the concepts of jiva, samsara, and the atman. Readings along these lines might make you think a great deal. :D

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

You can rejoice and be glad, we all have individual souls. Otherwise, we would all act exactly the same.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
You can rejoice and be glad, we all have individual souls. Otherwise, we would all act exactly the same.

Where is the harm in that? :D

If the concept of the soul is a delusion or manifestation of maya, what value does it have?

I understand that Christians sort of view the soul as something special or their core being and something like a giant poker chip to be played in the game of life between Jehovah/Jesus and Satan. But, if it, itself is a fabrication rather than the intrinsic self (atman) wherein lies its real value? Identification with the ego basically leaves you in the quandary of failing to identify with your own true nature, and by extension your direct relationship with god. Uniqueness then would have comparatively no value but to limit your understanding of what you truly are.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You mean we act because of souls an not because of brain. Then let us jettison brain and just work with souls. Brain is just taking up space in the box, useless.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really even know what the term 'soul' is supposed to mean. if it is a supernatural manifestation, I don't believe *any* of us have souls. We have consciousness, we have emotions, we have thoughts, etc. But I see no evidence for souls.

dianaiad

Be careful.

Once one decides that there are folks who aren't 'really people,' but are 'others' who have no souls, it becomes permissible to 'do something' about them. That 'something' is usually nasty. History shows us that the first step to persecuting others is first, to make them 'other.'

Indeed, the history of the human race shows us that we do this to one another over and over again. It never ends well.

If you are referring, however, to those who commit horrendous crimes against others, don't decide that they have no souls. They have 'em. They just need to reap the consequences of their actions. One does not need to declare them 'other' in order to stop them. Indeed, it's better for all of us to acknowledge that these murderous ones are indeed people, and that the capability of following their actions is in any and all of us, to some extent.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined efforts of everyone I've ever known." - Chuck Palahniuk.
That applies pretty much equally for all humans. Mimicking those around us is how we tend to navigate social circumstances.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Based on my NDE, I was still me, my timeline, my history stayed as part of me, and after many lifes, there are many timelines interwoven into a single being, like a quantum strand multicolored ball of wool.

Reality is made from quantum strands, so in a sense everything is conscious spirit; a soul is a dynamic pattern within the Matrix, that manifests its self as a Character in Pages of the Book of Life.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Where is the harm in that? :D

If the concept of the soul is a delusion or manifestation of maya, what value does it have?

I understand that Christians sort of view the soul as something special or their core being and something like a giant poker chip to be played in the game of life between Jehovah/Jesus and Satan. But, if it, itself is a fabrication rather than the intrinsic self (atman) wherein lies its real value? Identification with the ego basically leaves you in the quandary of failing to identify with your own true nature, and by extension your direct relationship with god. Uniqueness then would have comparatively no value but to limit your understanding of what you truly are.
I guess it depends on one's view. Uniqueness can be valued as something to be treasured.

Maybe we should first see if we have the same definition... what is a soul?

Electra

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined efforts of everyone I've ever known." - Chuck Palahniuk.
That applies pretty much equally for all humans. Mimicking those around us is how we tend to navigate social circumstances.

Yes, I agree.

Although what I have been shown is shadows in my life through a person which I have worked through, down to family situations. Nearly to a t, way more then 'mere coincidence'.

Very odd

Electra

I guess it depends on one's view. Uniqueness can be valued as something to be treasured.

Maybe we should first see if we have the same definition... what is a soul?

I though of a soul as the timeless part of us, but yes, maybe my language can improve, think I shall ponder on this point more.

Electra

Why don't you ask yourself and find out? (Yeah, seems simple... it is...)

However, perhaps more perplexing is that you might not even be the soul. Ask yourself about that too.. (A "soul" is basically your mind/consciousness sans a body...) If you go digging around in there you might find that even that isn't real, and something else is. :D

Do some research on the concepts of jiva, samsara, and the atman. Readings along these lines might make you think a great deal. :D

I have. It is nice to ponder into the interweb though.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

:cool:

Electra

Based on my NDE, I was still me, my timeline, my history stayed as part of me, and after many lifes, there are many timelines interwoven into a single being, like a quantum strand multicolored ball of wool.

Reality is made from quantum strands, so in a sense everything is conscious spirit; a soul is a dynamic pattern within the Matrix, that manifests its self as a Character in Pages of the Book of Life.

yes but some that are still filled with 'spirit' do not have that 'individual pattern'?

Electra

Be careful.

Once one decides that there are folks who aren't 'really people,' but are 'others' who have no souls, it becomes permissible to 'do something' about them. That 'something' is usually nasty. History shows us that the first step to persecuting others is first, to make them 'other.'

Indeed, the history of the human race shows us that we do this to one another over and over again. It never ends well.

If you are referring, however, to those who commit horrendous crimes against others, don't decide that they have no souls. They have 'em. They just need to reap the consequences of their actions. One does not need to declare them 'other' in order to stop them. Indeed, it's better for all of us to acknowledge that these murderous ones are indeed people, and that the capability of following their actions is in any and all of us, to some extent.

i know they are still me :)
just a different part!

I don't believe in criminals, so , no

HonestJoe

Before you can even consider that question, you need to define exactly what you mean by soul. It’s a step so many people seem to skip.

Again, you’re using lots of generic words to refer to what are clearly meant to be very specific concepts so you’d need to define them in much more detail if they’re to be seriously considered. All you seem ot have here is just some very vague speculation.

I don’t see why you being sad impacts how likely a hypothesis is. What you’d like to be true is entirely separate from what actually is true.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
yes but some that are still filled with 'spirit' do not have that 'individual pattern'?
The whole of reality is made from individual patterns... No one could exists with out having a soul, as they'd not have any character.

Like this diagram in our dynamics is trying to express that our soul is like a dynamic vibration within quantum energy, that has a sequence of patterns within it (melody/Santana), that makes it unique, then everything else surrounds that...

We as humans try to look at it the other way around, like everything comes from the big things, and not the smallest things first.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I don't think we have individual 'souls', which means it is not a soul at all that I sometimes talk about. I affirm Buddhist Anatta- that forms, perceptions, sensations, and so on are 'not self'.

As to what I hold 'self' is- we cannot even conceive of that now. That's why Buddhists don't speculate about that subject. Individual souls though? No, no...

We all arise from one life. One utterly mysterious totality. I see Buddha-nature as that. If everything is Buddha, as I suppose- where could any such atman stand as apart from that?

Atman is then only a term of expediency, at best. Held in a dualistic way- atman is an utterly deceiving term. Hence, I think we're advised against it.

Last edited: