• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do these things exist?

MatthewA

Hello;

Do you believe that any of these things exist in the human nature of the heart?

This was something Jesus Christ taught his disciples that reside in the hearts of men; and my question is what do you think about what He had told his disciples in Mark 7.

For from within the hearts of men come evil thoughts, sexual immorality,
theft,
murder (even considered for hate - or saying someone is dead to you),
adultery,
greed,
wickedness,
deceit,
debauchery,
e
nvy,
slander,
arrogance,
and foolishness
All these evils come from within, and these are what defile a man.”

Now this is not me speaking, and just sharing. What are your thoughts on these thing? Are they true? Do they exist with-in man?

Heart Problems.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hello;

This was something Jesus Christ taught his disciples that reside in the hearts of men; and my question is what do you think about what He had told his disciples in Mark 7.

theft,
adultery,
greed,
wickedness,
deceit,
debauchery,
e
nvy,
slander,
arrogance,
and foolishness

Now this is not me speaking, and just sharing. What are your thoughts on these thing? Are they true? Do they exist with-in man?

No. I believe these things are influenced by our environments, predepositions and biases, the morals we were taught or take up, and experiences.

Sexual immorality isnt bad on itself if it doesn't harm others and oneself. I notice when people judge others as evil they don't see the person as a human being. Inherited sin mentality. I disagree with that. We are born with a clean slate.

I don't see any of these as inherent. Probably another reason is most of these things I wouldn't accidently or inherently do. Slander. Deceit. Murder. Calling someone evil and intentionally judging a person, I don't have that.

If it were inherent it would be something I'd be fighting against. I'm not perfect but no, I don't see them ingrained. I also feel that's a pretty depressing way to identify. There are so much positive attributes about oneself that the effort to see that would be better than seeing oneself and others as inhereted sinners.

No.

MatthewA

You never done any of those things in your own life: @Unveiled Artist, are you saying that you do not have any of those things in your own heart personally either?

I know I do, for the most part; my flesh is an butthead. Especially if I let it run wild. I have deceived people for my own personal gain, lied many times to many people. I did not care about the way I lived; I was going to do whatever I desired. Abused my relationships in the past with the girls that were dated. I still make mistakes today however because of not being perfect.

I believe that it gives an reality check of who we are as human beings and how much Jesus Christ is needed in a persons life; because He changes the heart of human beings when seeking in looking towards Him.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hello;

theft,
adultery,
greed,
wickedness,
deceit,
debauchery,
e
nvy,
slander,
arrogance,
and foolishness

Heart Problems.

I guess these things are environmental, learned behaviour with perhaps the exception of sexual immorality/adultery/debauchery. Which may or may not be immoral depending on the parties involved.

Heart problems?

MatthewA

@ChristineM
So you do not believe that they are natural things in the heart?

That is what Jesus is teaching here. Everyone is trying to say is environmental and it just directs what Jesus Christ is saying else where besides the heart.

Any thoughts on this?

syo

Hello;

theft,
adultery,
greed,
wickedness,
deceit,
debauchery,
e
nvy,
slander,
arrogance,
and foolishness

Heart Problems.
Nope. I disagree.

joe1776

IMO, Abraham Maslow was right that human behavior is an attempt to satisfy unconscious needs. Example: the behavior we have labeled drinking satisfies our unconscious need for water.

I think most, if not all, of our bad behavior is an attempt to satisfy our unconscious need to feel superior to others. This results in arrogant-competitive behavior which credibly explains bad behavior. For example, warlike aggression can be explained by the need to feel superior:

Our race is superior to theirs!
Our nation is superior to theirs!
Our religion is superior to theirs!
Our tribe is superior to theirs!

Based on their scientific experiments, psychologists are close to proclaiming that Narcissism is to blame for all our problems. Narcissism is jargon for what we commonly call arrogance. Theologians would call it vanity. Philosophers would call it egotism. And psychiatrists would refer to a superiority complex.

ChristineM

Premium Member
@ChristineM
So you do not believe that they are natural things in the heart?

That is what Jesus is teaching here. Everyone is trying to say is environmental and it just directs what Jesus Christ is saying else where besides the heart.

Any thoughts on this?

The heart is a muscle for pumping blood. And psychology has moved on a long long way in 2000 years

There is no evidence jesus is teaching anything, there is evidence that the bible authors thought it a good idea to put it in their text and say "jesus said..."

MatthewA

So you only see the heart as a material thing and nothing really proceeds from it. The evidence of what Jesus Christ had said is in the original post; but you can disagree with that being evidence if you desire. I do not judge you for your viewpoint for it is your and thank you for sharing it.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Hello;

theft,
adultery,
greed,
wickedness,
deceit,
debauchery,
e
nvy,
slander,
arrogance,
and foolishness

Heart Problems.

I have a propensity for each of those things. I can't blame the environment or a something that I see as dispensable or not really me, such as my ego. I do those things and take responsibility.

MatthewA

Nope. I disagree.
Okay.

IMO, Abraham Maslow was right that human behavior is an attempt to satisfy unconscious needs. Example: the behavior we have labeled drinking satisfies our unconscious need for water.

I think most, if not all, of our bad behavior is an attempt to satisfy our unconscious need to feel superior to others. This results in arrogant-competitive behavior which credibly explains bad behavior. For example, warlike aggression can be explained by the need to feel superior:

Our race is superior to theirs!
Our nation is superior to theirs!
Our religion is superior to theirs!
Our tribe is superior to theirs!

Based on their scientific experiments, psychologists are close to proclaiming that Narcissism is to blame for all our problems. Narcissism is jargon for what we commonly call arrogance. Theologians would call it vanity. Philosophers would call it egotism. And psychiatrists would refer to a superiority complex.
Where does the mind even exist at?

MatthewA

I have a propensity for each of those things. I can't blame the environment or a something that I see as dispensable or not really me, such as my ego. I do those things and take responsibility.

Oh thank God; someone with some humility. Lol, I take full responsibility of my actions too.

(Anyone who reads this yes I am an A**hole sometimes).

ChristineM

Premium Member
So you only see the heart as a material thing and nothing really proceeds from it. The evidence of what Jesus Christ had said is in the original post; but you can disagree with that being evidence if you desire. I do not judge you for your viewpoint for it is your and thank you for sharing it.

It is proven the heart is a muscle, thinking is done with the brain.

Yup i disagree with the evidence claim, there is not even any evidence Jesus lived as the guy depicted in the bible.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not just the humans, all animals by nature are selfish. It is living in a society which civilizes them, because a society cannot function with these traits. And then, humans and animals accept the rules of their society because they cannot live alone. Even a lion will find survival difficult if it was living alone (lions too hunt in packs).

Last edited:

MatthewA

Not just the humans, all animals by nature are selfish. It is living in a society which civilizes them, because a society cannot function with these traits. And then, humans and animals accept the rules of their society because they cannot live alone. Even a lion will find survival difficult if it was living alone (lions too hunt in packs).

This is not about animals. What do you think about what was said in the original post? Are you saying that is true all of these things reside with-in the heart of a person?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This is not about animals. What do you think about what was said in the original post? Are you saying that is true all of these things reside with-in the heart of a person?
Yes, they are part of human nature. If you want you can remove the reference to animals from my post. Jesus has no part to play in this.

Last edited:

MatthewA

Aupmanyav, thank you for your answer; just trying to make sure everything stays on topic because it is easily to go 15 different directions.