• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do the trees whisper?

Master Vigil

kreeden said:
Now why do I get the feeling that I'm being lead here ??? :)

Right off my head MV , I would say yes , that is what most do . Spend their lifes finding that balance . But once found , the journey is only begining I think .

How this all comes back to trees , I'm not sure . Perhaps we have to find a balance within ourselves before we can find it within others ?
HAHA!!!! No leading, just asking questions. :) Since all things change, do you think what makes balance changes as well? I do.

Unedited

I think there is some innate idea, but there can also be signs if we're really out of balance. I know if would go even a week with taking time to slow down and think I'd start getting really mean and stressed. I think the more abstract the balance is, the harder to see the signs, but there still there.
kreeden said:
Now why do I get the feeling that I'm being lead here ??? :)
I have that feeling too. :)

Unedited

Master Vigil said:
HAHA!!!! No leading, just asking questions. :) Since all things change, do you think what makes balance changes as well? I do.
You mean like...that maybe what was once the more important thing, could become the less important thing?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I think that Unedited was on the money there when he said about " being in the ball park ". I don't think that a " balance point " has to be prefect , as long as it is " close enough ". :) But yes , I guess that those " points " do change as life changes ???

I don't know ? Would have to think on that one .

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Ok . I can only speak for myself here ... I have a core , if you will , that is very solid and resistant to change . Everhow , over time , it has , and will change . :) So yes , I believe that one's " balance " is the same . It may , or may not change that often , but as more things come into one's life , it almost has to over time . However , that change may not even be noticed as it may be that gradual .

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Master Vigil said:
I know more than just trees whisper. :D It was just a way to get my question across.

Do you think that our business is more important?
Actually, that's a deeper question than it first seems; I think this is one where I would 'prefer' life to have been a complete reversal of the way we live. ie instead of being born as babies, and die as old folk, I have always had the thought at the back of my mind that life would be a jolly sight easier if the dying and being born processes were reversed. Ie, you are born as a wise old person, and gradually become younger and younger, until you eventually die. It may be a pretty idiotic idea, but I sure could have done with the wisdom (that is, if I have any!):D that I have now, when starting on life's journey.

And this is where the 'business' bit comes in; even as a person my age, I can very much identify with the strong focus and grit and determination to work as hard as possible, and feed and clothe Marie and the two kids. Oh yes, thinking about it now, I realize that I 'thought' a lot more until the age of twenty seven (When we married)than I did before our marriage, and since I have been retired. But then that's life I guess! My point of being born old and becomming younger would be much easier; with the wisdom, I might not have decided to go for the 'wife & 2.5 kids' sydrome; I might have decided then to be only resposible for myself only, and pursue 'enlightenment'.

the other benefits are that 1) you'd become fitter as you grow young, which would be a lot nicer than reality - and there probably wouldn't be a lot of difference in the way that death comes, as most elderly folk (Who live long enough) tend to become like kids again.

I'll let you all know when I've negotiated a 'deal' with God!!!:jiggy: (No blasphemy or disrespect intended - it's just my silly sense of humour!!!!):)

Prima

*ponders*

Okay, here's my take.

I believe that the beautiful thing about all of nature is that it helps us get in touch with our true self - the part of ourself that is part of the earth. By listening to the trees, you find out things about both the world and yourself.

But it's that 'self' part that's scary for most people. It's like darkness - darkness scares us (I believe) because we can see nothing more than ourselves, so we're forced to look at ourselves. For most people, it's scary to get in touch with yourself.

So my roundabout answer is that... people don't listen to the trees (wind, etc) enough, but it's not because they're 'too busy,' it's because they don't want to. They might make themselves think that they're too busy, but they're aren't really. I mean, all of us are pretty busy people - but we find time for things like this.

Did that make sense to anyone, or am I just rambling senselessly?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I find whenever I stop and actually listen and pay attention I end up learning something I didn't know before.

Take this morning, for instance. :) I was going out to the car, and heard a lovely sounding bird I'd never heard before. I stood still and had to listen for a few minutes to focus in on where it was and see it. To my surprise, it was a woodpecker! I had no idea woodpeckers sounded like songbirds; I always imagined them as sounding like jays.

I'd like to think once people realize how beautiful nature is they stop and pay attention to it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Prima said:
*ponders*

Okay, here's my take.

I believe that the beautiful thing about all of nature is that it helps us get in touch with our true self - the part of ourself that is part of the earth. By listening to the trees, you find out things about both the world and yourself.

But it's that 'self' part that's scary for most people. It's like darkness - darkness scares us (I believe) because we can see nothing more than ourselves, so we're forced to look at ourselves. For most people, it's scary to get in touch with yourself.

So my roundabout answer is that... people don't listen to the trees (wind, etc) enough, but it's not because they're 'too busy,' it's because they don't want to. They might make themselves think that they're too busy, but they're aren't really. I mean, all of us are pretty busy people - but we find time for things like this.

Did that make sense to anyone, or am I just rambling senselessly?
There's quite a lot in what you say; the 'too busy' thing usually means we'd rather do something else during the time - which is pretty much what you're implying. I'm not scared of 'getting in touch with myself' I'm quite good at listening to myself:tsk:

Prima

But then again, I've often found that RF members are exceptions to the general rule. :D So I suppose I should add 'generally' or 'usually' to that answer. Because it's true that there are a lot of people who are not afraid of getting in touch with themselves. But there are a heck of a lot more who are!

Master Vigil

Thanks for all the answers everyone!!! Alright, next question :D, if people would listen "while" they went throughout their day, would it make them more or less busy? Would it make it harder, or easier to do what they needed to do?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I think it could go either way. If it relaxed them, they could find it easier to get things done. But if they slowed down and procrastinated, they'd need to rush to get through the day.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I definately think we are. A book I read (Tuesdays with Morrie) that touched me rather deeply talked about this. It said that we focus on getting more and more and bigger and bigger things, that we've become so disconnected with people (and, I believe, nature) we almost want the things we buy to give us a hug back or something. And before we realize it life is over and we've not had any real human contact.

Of course, when I say "we" I mean society in general.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Again , I think that it comes down to a balance MV . Society , while having it's uses , can expect us to become rather ant-like . " You have a job to do . Don't think , just do it and leave the thinking for me ... ". But at the same time , we do have jobs to do and they have to get done ... :) Just remember to balance it out with time for yourself and that around you .

BTW Jensa , any idea what type of Wookpecker ?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Master Vigil said:
Do you think as a society, we are in too much of a hurry? Do you think it would be good to slow down?
O.K I'm not the best person to answer this, because I can't take much stress; as far as I am concerned, yes we are too much of a hurry. At least compared to the fifties and sixties, the pace has really accelerated.

As a strange adjunct to your 'whispering trees' original thread, Master V, I took my camera into 'My' Park (I really am becoming more and more aware of my possesive attitude towards it - which amuses me), and started taking shots - it wasn't a particularly bright day, but I just love being there. Maybe I can upload just one shot.

What was strange was the fact that, because I was taking photos, I was more aware of everything; I could see it all in a new light!Now I said that(about uploading a shot I realize I can't from this laptop, because I haven't got the software to make the files smaller here) - but I've added the photos to http://community.webshots.com/user/michelhiernaux, if you want to have a look at the 'my park' album.:)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
It was while contemplating a tree outside my house that I first realized that everything I felt and believed and didn't believe was OK. I can't think that coincidence. :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
It was while contemplating a tree outside my house that I first realized that everything I felt and believed and didn't believe was OK. I can't think that coincidence. :)
frankly, I'm not surprized; the more I 'communicate' with trees (referably when no one else is around):jiggy: the more I 'feel' some real connection; I can't explain it, nor do I feel a need to; I just walk away feeling 'refreshed':)