• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do the Jews, Christians and Muslims worship the same God....?

Spirit_Warrior

And is theologically speaking Christianity and Islam sects of Judaism?

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. Recently, during the course of a debate elsewhere these two propositions have been asserted as factual statements:

1. Jews, Christians and Muslims worship the same God
2. Theologically, Christianity and Islam are sects of Judaism

I am interested in the views of others, especially Jews, Christians and Muslims on whether they agree with either one or both of the propositions, and if not why not?

MansFriend

Let's champion the rights of all individuals!
They all purport to worship the same God, but it is clear there are many different spirits behind the many sects among all of these major divisions. In my humble opinion, they are all overcome and deceived and hardly know what they are supposed to be worshiping.

Spirit_Warrior

I wanted to ask: If Muslims, Jews and Christians do worship the same God, then why do Muslims not worship Jesus as God as the Christians do and why don't Christians worship Allah as God as the Muslims do? Why don't the Jews worship Allah and Jesus as God as the Muslims and Christians do?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. Recently, during the course of a debate elsewhere these two propositions have been asserted as factual statements:

I am interested in the views of others, especially Jews, Christians and Muslims on whether they agree with either one or both of the propositions, and if not why not?
I'd agree with the first. In fact, I'd go farther and say that all theists worship the same God, we just understand Him/Her/Them/It in different ways.

I'd strongly disagree with the second; Islam was never associated with Judaism, and Christianity ceased being part of Judaism shortly after it began. While there are similarities between them, the fundamental beliefs are quite different.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I wanted to ask: If Muslims, Jews and Christians do worship the same God, then why do Muslims not worship Jesus as God as the Christians do and why don't Christians worship Allah as God as the Muslims do? Why don't the Jews worship Allah and Jesus as God?
Allah is just the Arabic term for God. It just means "the God", basically. We do worship Allah.

As for Jesus, most Jews rejected Him and Muslims accept Him as a Prophet, but don't agree that He is God.

Spirit_Warrior

Allah is just the Arabic term for God. It just means "the God", basically. We do worship Allah.

However, if it is a term, then it can adopted by Arab Christians to worship God, yes? Does this happen

As for Jesus, most Jews rejected Him and Muslims accept Him as a Prophet, but don't agree that He is God.

However, is it not true the vast majority of Christians worship Jesus as God and worship God as father/son/holy spirit? If the Jews and Muslims reject Jesus as God, then can they be worshipping the same God?

Cobol

Code Jockey
The God characters of the Christians and the Muslims are both based on the God character of Judaism, which was on his turn based on El, the head God of the ancient Canaanite polytheistic pantheon, called the Elohim (meaning “children of El”), with a good dose of cross-pollination from the Supreme God Ahura Mazda of Zoroastrianism, an older monotheistic religion than Judaism.

So technically all three are all based on the same fictional character.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

They all worship the same God. There are clear similarities between all three religions. The differences relate to the time and circumstances during which each Faith was revealed.

Spirit_Warrior

The God characters of the Christians and the Muslims are both based on the God character of Judaism, which was on his turn based on El, the head God of the ancient Canaanite polytheistic pantheon, called the Elohim (meaning “children of El”), with a good dose of cross-pollination from the Supreme God Ahura Mazda of Zoroastrianism, an older monotheistic religion than Judaism.

So technically all three are all based on the same fictional character.

As you are talking about the actual history of religions, then isn't the God the Muslims completely different from the Abrahamic God, because it was originally a pre-Islamic pagan Moon God of the Qureshi tribe which had partner Gods like Manat and Al-Uzza, that were then combined with the Abrahmic God?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Judaism is obscure. Tons of Christians do not have any idea of what Judaism is. Muslims, too I think. Christians often live our lives and die not knowing what Judaism is.

Jews debate it. Christians debate whether Muslims do. Muslims affirm it mostly though not in practice. Christians churches in my experience tend to have more worship in common with Muslims than with Jews (my opinion), except for the Orthodox churches. 'Worship' is a different concept in Judaism than in most churches of my acquaintance, but I think the Orthodox probably have more in common with Judaism than with Islam. Judaism leans I think more towards a panentheist form of worship that recognizes God is in you and everyone. Christians tend to believe in an afterlife like Muslims while Jews (I think) tend to believe in a final death for individuals with some continuance through teachings.
Why are you interested? What is your personal contribution, and what do you believe or would believe if the question were put to you?
I'd question whether all Christians worship the same God.
Its a reasonable question.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wanted to ask: If Muslims, Jews and Christians do worship the same God, then why do Muslims not worship Jesus as God as the Christians do and why don't Christians worship Allah as God as the Muslims do? Why don't the Jews worship Allah and Jesus as God as the Muslims and Christians do?
Just to keep this in perspective,
Why do non Gaudiya-s not worship Chaitanya as an incarnation of God? Why does that not make Gaudiya-s and Saivites into different religion.

Also, usage of allah in Christianity,
Allah - Wikipedia
Christianity
The Aramaic word for "God" in the language of Assyrian Christians is ʼĔlāhā, or Alaha. Arabic-speakers of all Abrahamic faiths, including Christians and Jews, use the word "Allah" to mean "God".[10] The Christian Arabs of today have no other word for "God" than "Allah".[29] (Even the Arabic-descended Maltese language of Malta, whose population is almost entirely Roman Catholic, uses Alla for "God".) Arab Christians, for example, use the terms Allāh al-ab (الله الأب) for God the Father, Allāh al-ibn (الله الابن) for God the Son, and Allāh al-rūḥ al-quds (الله الروح القدس) for God the Holy Spirit. (See God in Christianity for the Christian concept of God.)

Arab Christians have used two forms of invocations that were affixed to the beginning of their written works. They adopted the Muslim bismillāh, and also created their own Trinitized bismillāh as early as the 8th century.[30] The Muslim bismillāh reads: "In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful." The Trinitized bismillāh reads: "In the name of Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, One God." The Syriac, Latin and Greek invocations do not have the words "One God" at the end. This addition was made to emphasize the monotheistic aspect of Trinitarian belief and also to make it more palatable to Muslims.[30]

According to Marshall Hodgson, it seems that in the pre-Islamic times, some Arab Christians made pilgrimage to the Kaaba, a pagan temple at that time, honoring Allah there as God the Creator.[31]

Some archaeological excavation quests have led to the discovery of ancient pre-Islamic inscriptions and tombs made by Arab Christians in the ruins of a church at Umm el-Jimal in Northern Jordan, which contained references to Allah as the proper name of God, and some of the graves contained names such as "Abd Allah" which means "the servant/slave of Allah".[32][33][34]

The name Allah can be found countless times in the reports and the lists of names of Christian martyrs in South Arabia, as reported by antique Syriac documents of the names of those martyrs from the era of the Himyarite and Aksumite kingdoms.[35][36]

A Christian leader named Abd Allah ibn Abu Bakr ibn Muhammad was martyred in Najran in 523, as he had worn a ring that said "Allah is my lord".[35][37]

In an inscription of Christian martyrion dated back to 512, references to Allah can be found in both Arabic and Aramaic, which called him "Allah" and "Alaha", and the inscription starts with the statement "By the Help of Allah".[35][38][39]

In pre-Islamic Gospels, the name used for God was "Allah", as evidenced by some discovered Arabic versions of the New Testament written by Arab Christians during the pre-Islamic era in Northern and Southern Arabia.[40][41][42]

Pre-Islamic Arab Christians have been reported to have raised the battle cry "Ya La Ibad Allah" (O slaves of Allah) to invoke each other into battle.[43]

"Allah" was also mentioned in pre-Islamic Christian poems by some Ghassanid and Tanukhid poets in Syria and Northern Arabia.[44][45][46]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of this also clearly shows that Muhammed knew what he was referring to (YHWH-Elohim) when he talked about Allah (and not a moon God).

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus among the modern Jews

As persecution of Jews by Christians grow less and Jewish Christian relations are mended, Jesus too is being accepted as an important prophetic figure in his own right among the Jewish scholarship . There will always be differences, but the unbridgeable gulf of history was created by society and politics and not theology.
A Jewish Edition of the New Testament — Beliefs

That encounter with the dark side of her friends’ religion sent Dr. Levine on a quest, one that took her to graduate school in New Testament studies and eventually to Vanderbilt University, where she has taught since 1994. Dr. Levine is still a committed Jew — she attends an Orthodox synagogue in Nashville — but she is a leading New Testament scholar.

And she is not alone. The book she has just edited with a Brandeis University professor, Marc Zvi Brettler, “The Jewish Annotated New Testament” (Oxford University Press), is an unusual scholarly experiment: an edition of the Christian holy book edited entirely by Jews. The volume includes notes and explanatory essays by 50 leading Jewish scholars, including Susannah Heschel, a historian and the daughter of the theologian Abraham Joshua Heschel; the Talmudist Daniel Boyarin; and Shaye J. D. Cohen, who teaches ancient Judaism at Harvard.

Amazon.com: The Jewish Annotated New Testament (9780195297706): Amy-Jill Levine, Marc Z. Brettler: Books

rosends

Jesus among the modern Jews

As persecution of Jews by Christians grow less and Jewish Christian relations are mended, Jesus too is being accepted as an important prophetic figure in his own right among the Jewish scholarship . There will always be differences, but the unbridgeable gulf of history was created by society and politics and not theology.
A Jewish Edition of the New Testament — Beliefs

Amazon.com: The Jewish Annotated New Testament (9780195297706): Amy-Jill Levine, Marc Z. Brettler: Books
Yeah, but it is wrong. A Christian text shouldn't deign to speak for actual Jews.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, but it is wrong. A Christian text shouldn't deign to speak for actual Jews.
The entire NT was written by people who certainly considered themselves Jews, most of it much earlier than historical schisms. They are Jewish in the same way the Dead Sea Scrolls are Jewish, alternate movements within the late 2nd temple Judaism. The pharisaic tradition was also an alternate stream at that time before it rose to dominance after the Jewish wars and resulted in the rich rabbinical Judiasm. For Jews of course, these NT works need to be read within Judaic tradition rather than Christian ones and this is what the book seeks to do. Maybe you can get hold of a copy and see how it is. All commentaries and notes are exclusively written by Jewish scholars.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Islam, Christianity (non-mainstream), and Judaism worship a creator.

They don't worship the same god because each religion's god characteristics that define god are different.

They are all abrahamic religions but the fact that each are different tells me that even though they all believe in a creator, their perspective of the creator are so different how can one say a Christian worships the Muslim Allah when Allah in Islam belief has X regulations and practices (say pray five times) when the god of Christianity doesn't have that. Jews don't recognize Christ yet the Christian god says he sent Christ to save the gentiles.

They don't. They all worship a creator, though.

rosends

The entire NT was written by people who certainly considered themselves Jews, most of it much earlier than historical schisms. They are Jewish in the same way the Dead Sea Scrolls are Jewish, alternate movements within the late 2nd temple Judaism. The pharisaic tradition was also an alternate stream at that time before it rose to dominance after the Jewish wars and resulted in the rich rabbinical Judiasm. For Jews of course, these NT works need to be read within Judaic tradition rather than Christian ones and this is what the book seeks to do. Maybe you can get hold of a copy and see how it is. All commentaries and notes are exclusively written by Jewish scholars.
Whether the Christian gospels were written by lapsed Jews or later writers is immaterial. Even Bretter's text isn't the problem. The problem is the prefatory note which claims " Jesus too is being accepted as an important prophetic figure in his own right among the Jewish scholarship . There will always be differences, but the unbridgeable gulf of history was created by society and politics and not theology." That doesn't come from the article which is linked underneath and is patently wrong.