• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do the abrahamic God dislike sex outside of marriage?

Clara Tea

Do the abrahamic God dislike sex outside of marriage?

You ask if God (who had sex with Mary who cuckold Joseph) dislike sex outside of marriage.

Do as I say, not as I do (the message of God). God is above his own laws, and those laws only apply to mankind.

It wasn't Jesus's idea to die on the cross. Jesus had asked God "why hath thou forsaken me?" Obviously Romans had killed Jesus, and obviously all powerful God allowed them to do it.

So, sins that we likely never had, are forgiven because God is so pleased that humans horribly murdered his son. Is that why we are now blessed? Cancer victims pray to God for pain ceasing, only to be ignored. Does that sound like blessing? Are we blessed to be in this world or is this world a lot like hell?

God gave us the ability and urge to have sex, then balks if we have it. Is that another sin to be forgiven?

God put the fruit of forbidden knowledge in Eden (he could have put a lock on it or hidden it), then when his flawed creations defied him and tasted the forbidden fruit, he punished them.

Would a loving God punish at all?

Kelly of the Phoenix

I have a relative who has 4 children to 3 women non married. The children are all separated with no central home. Police are often called to settle violent disputes.

Im not saying marriage is perfect as many go wrong but I think children deserve a stable family life and home with parents who are committed in a marriage.
My parents were married and they were still abusive.

amorphous_constellation

To use a metaphor, I see it as similar to the ocean caring about the interactions between two grains of sand on a beach.

"But, by my faith, it is the sign of a great artist to have confined a full likeness to the limits of a miniature. The wise man's life spreads out to him over as large a surface as does all eternity to a god." - Seneca

As well, we have the pagan stories of the Oak and the Linden, the Rose and Briar. The vastness of the macro does not make insignificant, the micro

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"But, by my faith, it is the sign of a great artist to have confined a full likeness to the limits of a miniature. The wise man's life spreads out to him over as large a surface as does all eternity to a god." - Seneca

As well, we have the pagan stories of the Oak and the Linden, the Rose and Briar. The vastness of the macro does not make insignificant, the micro

Indeed - I didn't intend to declare insignificance, moreso to question why an omnimax deity would be so seemingly obsessed with making rules for the sex lives of a single species on a single planet. That's just bizarre unless framed from the angle of the humans promoting worship of this god being obsessed with it. It's the sort of human exceptionalism that comes from human anthropocentrism, not something like an omnimax deity, IMHO.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
My parents were married and they were still abusive.

I don’t think we can generalise but I do believe from personal experience that a stable home family life is far healthier than one with disunity. But there’s already enough chance for problems between a couple without having to have 4 children with 3 different mothers.

So although marriages are not all perfect, in many cases they do provide stability.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Well, my mom is dead and I only have contact with one of my (many) blood relatives. Maybe you'll have better luck than I and some of the adoption cases I've known. I personally don't care about relatives anymore and wouldn't mind dropping dead. Honestly, I wish my mom had aborted me like she scheduled to do so but was too Christian to carry through. Good luck.
Me
I don’t think we can generalise but I do believe from personal experience that a stable home family life is far healthier than one with disunity. But there’s already enough chance for problems between a couple without having to have 4 children with 3 different mothers.

So although marriages are not all perfect, in many cases they do provide stability.
But there are many different types of families and a monogamous heterosexual marriage isn’t the only option and I say that as someone who isn’t into the other ones.

Muffled

Jesus in me
From what I understand having read the OT, which just speaks of adultery, and not sex outside of marriage:

To the Abrahamic God, or at least the God of the OT, sex initiates marriage. So to have sex with multiple people is considered adultery, because the first person you have sex with is then the person you married. To "become one flesh" is to be in union with another and become one body, so that is the marriage.

I believe there are two problems with that:

1. One does not always know that the person he/she has sex with will agree to marry
2. There is a benefit for doing things at the most propitious time. Sex before the marriage ceremony robs the event of its most important significance that is that the two are married.