• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do some hindus love Jesus?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Do some hindus love Jesus? It is posible to be hindu but at the same time love Jesus and his mother Mary?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I've read complaints from native Hindus that once you start adding Jesus to their pantheon, attention gradually shifts from the other deities until in the end, only Jesus is left. I can't comment much on this as I am a convert in a Western country. :D I've noticed teachers from Hinduism making references to Jesus when they want to attract Western audiences. Yogananda (Self-Realization Fellowship) did so. A controversial guru from Mauritius, who has his main ashram in Germany, did the same until recently. In his ashram, he conducted Orthodox services in a specially built chapel in parallel with Hindu ceremonies to attract followers from the countries east of Germany. If the rumors are true, the services were also Orthodox because he is said to have bought his title as an Orthodox priest, since he allegedly failed to obtain the title of a Catholic priest that way. Apparently, however, he seems to have gained so much power and so many followers in the meantime that he no longer relies on the Christian services and emphasizes the Hindu character of his teachings.

RestlessSoul

There was a Hindu poster on here, can’t remember his username, who wrote a treatise describing Jesus as a Yogic teacher.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Sai Baba people seem to. It depends. Some people have bad experiences with conversion. Others just shrug and add Jesus to the Shrine.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Many Hindus of TamilNadu, South India believe in the healing powers of Mother Mary at Veilankanni church and do attend prayers there regularly, as they do to many 'Durgah' (Muslim place of worship) too. But that does not mean they worship Mother Mary at their homes. In South India where I hail from, many people are highly tolerant and rather supportive of other religions, especially in rural areas.

I support what @Sirona has written, I even notice ISKCON guru HH Indradyumna Swami Maharaj making frequent quotes from Bible/Matthew when giving lectures on Krishna consciousness. I think he does that to make at ease, those who convert to Hinduism from Christianity and give them better understanding of a said concept.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There are some Hindus that view Jesus as an avatar and keep a visage of him on their shrine. At the Vedanta Society meeting I attended, there was a picture of Jesus on the shrine in the home of the host of the meeting.

Sri Ramakrisha himself embraced Jesus as an avatar.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As @Vinayaka said, “some”. Some Hindus do include him and his mother in their devotions. I would be very surprised, if not even taken aback, to see a murti (idol, statue) of him in a Hindu temple). Afaik, however, those who revere or even worship him do not see him as God Himself, but as a yogic teacher, saint, guru, jivanmukta (liberated, enlightened while embodied). I’m pretty much in that camp.

I like what he taught, hyperbole about “those on the left depart into the eternal flames” aside, because it was just that... hyperbole his audience understood. I believe it was the early church fathers who twisted his teachings to use as a control tactic. Remember, there were no printed Bibles, not that most people could read anyway, so what the leaders said became gospel (pun intended).

Manifestation of God... hmm... inasmuch as we are manifestations of God. I don’t think he’s God himself or an avatar, either purnavatar or anshavatar (full or partial, respectively).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Sri Ramakrisha himself embraced Jesus as an avatar.

There's a passage about that I quite like - the context is here including Ramakrishna describing Jesus as the "Son of God": How Sri Ramakrishna Saw Jesus Merge Into His Body – The Spiritual Bee

Very soon the person approached him and from the bottom of the Master’s pure heart came out with a ringing sound, the words, “Jesus! Jesus the Christ, the great Yogi, the loving Son of God, one with the Father, who gave his heart’s blood and put up with endless torture in order to deliver men from sorrow and misery!”

Jesus, the god-man, then embraced the Master and disappeared into his body and the Master entered into ecstasy (Bhav Samadhi), lost normal consciousness and remained identified for some time with the Omnipresent Brahman (God, the Ocean of Consciousness) with attributes.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Do some hindus love Jesus? It is posible to be hindu but at the same time love Jesus and his mother Mary?
Gandhi had a high regard for Jesus and wished Christians would actually follow His teachings. He was that way for a lot religions, including Islam and Baha'i. There was a Hindu who came to a Baha'i forum who said he believed in Baha'u'llah, but had some offbeat and inappropriate interpretations about what Baha'u'llah said in some instances in my opinion. He still considered himself to be a Hindu. Baha'is believe in Krishna and not in all the Hindu customs, and have the attitude that in each age the Prophet or Manifestation has new social laws that those who believe in that Manifestation should now follow. This Hindu that came to our forum couldn't relate to that. Hindus can be universal in their regard to other religions, but tend to not believe in moving on to new social laws appropriate for each age. Hindus accept among fellow Hindus all sorts of different viewpoints, and will do the same for other religions sometimes. In recent times, there has grown a kind of national consciousness in India of India being Hindu, and a intolerance especially for Muslims. That didn't really exist until recently. Great Britain may have some responsibility for that.

Baha'is believe there is a universal spiritual truth running through all these religions, but social laws change over time.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Gandhi had a high regard for Jesus and wished Christians would actually follow His teachings.
Absolutely he did. Let me tell a true story about that.

A very close friend of mine spent a summer in India on a study through Eastern Michigan University in 1973, and it was on the effect Gandhi had on Hinduism. One Hindu home they visited who knew of a family who knew the professor who had organized the tour had a picture of Jesus on a wall, and the husband saw my friend looking at it. He asked if he had a question, and my friend asked why the picture of Jesus? The man answered that his family considered Jesus to be just one of the manifestations of Brahman.

BTW, since my friend had this exposure to Gandhi and his beliefs, he was asked by a fair number of churches and people in general to explain more after the movie "Gandhi" came out, and sometimes I joined him.