• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do societies sometimes "quarentine" the healthy.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
And how are you going to know? Testing? Quarantine? Guess what. A day after I get the test, or a day after I get out of quarantine, I may have the virus. What now?

Good-Ole-Rebel
Is it always about you? Are you so selfish and fragile that you can think of no one but yourself?

Quarantine manages the spread of a disease. It is not magic.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
No, it's idiocy. You say 'regular basis'. What would that be? Two hours after I had a test, I might have gotten the virus. So, how long? Every other day. Every two weeks. Just think of all that Corona I 'might' be spreading around and killing people.

Go ahead and live in a bubble.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Is this intentionally ridiculous or are you serious?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
This is a spin off From another thread. The question was raised "Does civilization sometimes quarantine the healthy".

Coronavirus precaution overkill ( maybe)

My position is that yes it does. Consider:

Activist are often imprisoned for ideologies that many people would consider healthier than those belonging to the people who imprisoned them. The purpise is often to "quarantine" these indivuduals to keep these ideoligies from spreading and " infecting" the general populace.

By the most basic standards of Natural selection, those in possession of the highest levels of advantageous qualities such as brute strength and a propensity towards violence are often imprisoned, "quarantined" to protect the week or more passive members of society.

Parents often enroll their children in private schools In order to quarantine them from what they would consider undesirable influences. In economic terms these children could be considered healthier than the norm.

Thise are just a few examples.
I know that in England during the Plague at its height, they quarantined entire families based on one family member getting ill. I seem to recall a story about them even nailing the doors shut so that they wouldn't leave. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
She was not sick of the disease. She was healthy. Maybe they should have centered on her immune system being as such to not be affected by typhoid. How is typhoid spread?

Oh please. People don't wear masks because they don't feel they need to. It's silly.

In light of all the evidence to the contrary, those people would be idiots.

If you want to live in a protective bubble go ahead. Your immune system will diminish. You will need more 'bubble'. And whatever you do...dont step out of it. Cause every disease on earth is after you.

Good-Ole-Rebel

You still don't get it: masks aren't to protect you, they're to keep you from infecting other people.

You've heard of the concept of other people, right?

Masks only provide minimal protection to the person wearing the mask, but they afford quite a bit of protection against spreading it to other people.

I love how you keep trying to paint responsibility and consideration for other people as cowardice, while trying to pass off stupidity and selfishness as. . . what? Brave? Noble?

Sounds like you're the one living in a bubble.

Good-Ole-Rebel

In light of all the evidence to the contrary, those people would be idiots.

You still don't get it: masks aren't to protect you, they're to keep you from infecting other people.

You've heard of the concept of other people, right?

Masks only provide minimal protection to the person wearing the mask, but they afford quite a bit of protection against spreading it to other people.

I love how you keep trying to paint responsibility and consideration for other people as cowardice, while trying to pass off stupidity and selfishness as. . . what? Brave? Noble?

Sounds like you're the one living in a bubble.

You mean other people's right to work and provide for their family? You mean the other people who are not important so their jobs are taken away and their savings destroyed? You mean other people whose business's are ruined?

No, not brave or noble. Practical.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Still avoiding my question's.

Good-Ole-Rebel
No I am not and I did not have to come up with ridiculous responses like you have.

Medical quarantine does not guarantee and individual will not get sick and no one ever said that it would. It is a tool to limit the spread of a disease that would otherwise rage out of control.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
You mean other people's right to work and provide for their family? You mean the other people who are not important so their jobs are taken away and their savings destroyed? You mean other people whose business's are ruined?

Good-Ole-Rebel
Not even practical. Just the shroud you hide behind to support and agenda of self-absorbed, egotism.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Good-Ole-Rebel
How exactly does wearing a mask and practicing social distancing keep people from going to work?

it doesnt. Following those guidelines would actually make it so that people could go back to work sooner By helping get the pandemic under control. I already brought this up and you ignored it just like you'll no doubt ignore it this time because it doesn't fit into your poor rebel being oppressed by the big bad government, AKA the Union, scenario.

None of this is brave, noble, or practical. It's childish.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh please. People don't wear masks because they don't feel they need to. It's silly.

We also have laws regarding the wearing of shirts and shoes in restaurants, for example.

Whether or not you *think* it is silly, it is a safety thing for society. YOU don't get to decide for the safety of others: your right to swing your arm stops at the other guys face.

Wandering Monk

For those who hold the Bible up as infallible and inerrant, do you recall how a person SUSPECTED of leprosy was quarantined?

In specific cases, the leper was quarantined for seven days to determine if he actually had it. If after this time certain things had not occurred he was declared clean.

So, the Bible authorizes quarantining people who turned out not to have the disease.

See Leviticus 13-14.

Good-Ole-Rebel

No I am not and I did not have to come up with ridiculous responses like you have.

Medical quarantine does not guarantee and individual will not get sick and no one ever said that it would. It is a tool to limit the spread of a disease that would otherwise rage out of control.

Yes you are. You have never answered them. I asked how are you going to know? Testing? Quarantine? Because a day after I have gotten a test and it was negative, or released from quarantine, I may have the virus? What now?

You say we should be tested on a regular basis. What would that be? Every two hours? Two days? Two weeks? Two months? Think of all the Corona I could be spreading in those times. So, how often should everyone be tested?

Indeed, it is ridiculous.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

How exactly does wearing a mask and practicing social distancing keep people from going to work?

it doesnt. Following those guidelines would actually make it so that people could go back to work sooner By helping get the pandemic under control. I already brought this up and you ignored it just like you'll no doubt ignore it this time because it doesn't fit into your poor rebel being oppressed by the big bad government, AKA the Union, scenario.

None of this is brave, noble, or practical. It's childish.

I was just addressing your 'concept' of considering the 'right other people'. The government has chosen who is important and who is not. The ones 'not' are locked up and quarantined. Where did consideration of them go? It went out the window with their jobs and with their ability to provided for their families.

Yet, such is childish to you.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Good-Ole-Rebel

We also have laws regarding the wearing of shirts and shoes in restaurants, for example.

Whether or not you *think* it is silly, it is a safety thing for society. YOU don't get to decide for the safety of others: your right to swing your arm stops at the other guys face.

Guess what? I am not required to wear a mask. How does that strike YOU?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I was just addressing your 'concept' of considering the 'right other people'. The government has chosen who is important and who is not. The ones 'not' are locked up and quarantined. Where did consideration of them go? It went out the window with their jobs and with their ability to provided for their families.

Yet, such is childish to you.

Good-Ole-Rebel

No, changing the subject in order to get out of addressing someone else's points is childish to me.

Good-Ole-Rebel

No, changing the subject in order to get out of addressing someone else's points is childish to me.

You brought up the 'concept of others' as though I didn't recognize it. I simply addressed it in regards to the people's jobs. You want to make me appear the bad man who doesn't care for others. Sorry, that cuts both ways.

Good-Ole-Rebel