• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Sikhs have problems in Middle East?

ronki23

in the Middle East, particularly Saudi Arabia and Iran you can not display items of faith so can Sikhs wear the turban or kara?

What about diet? If halal meat is not allowed are Sikhs in Middle East vegetarians?

Jedster

in the Middle East, particularly Saudi Arabia and Iran you can not display items of faith so can Sikhs wear the turban or kara?

What about diet? If halal meat is not allowed are Sikhs in Middle East vegetarians?

AFAIK, Sikhs do not eat meat killed that has been killed in a religious way. So they would not eat halal or kosher meat.

and here's this from the internet:

Eating meat killed in a ritualistic manner (Kutha meat): Sikhs are strictly prohibited from eating meat killed in a ritualistic manner (such as halal or kosher, known as Kutha meat ), or any meat where langar is served. ... The meat eaten by Sikhs is known as Jhatka meat.

ronki23

AFAIK, Sikhs do not eat meat killed that has been killed in a religious way. So they would not eat halal or kosher meat.

and here's this from the internet:

Eating meat killed in a ritualistic manner (Kutha meat): Sikhs are strictly prohibited from eating meat killed in a ritualistic manner (such as halal or kosher, known as Kutha meat ), or any meat where langar is served. ... The meat eaten by Sikhs is known as Jhatka meat.

But does that mean Sikhs in the Middle East are vegetarians?

And Jhatka in itself is ritually slaughtered as prayers are recited

Flankerl

There's more to the Middle East than Saudi Arabia and Iran. And Saudi has the most Indian workers in the Middle East...

Yeah that's really fascinating, yet the only country in the Middle East with Sikhs in it are the UAE.

Not my fault if you give Iran and Saudi Arabia as examples.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Wikipedia says there are 20,000 Sikhs in Kuwait out of a total 29,000 in Middle-East. Don't know, won't pry, as to what they eat there.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I note that this thread was created in the Sikhism DIR and none of us posting here are Sikh. That said, please allow me to relate the following ...

About two weeks ago my wife and I attended an interfaith gathering hosted by the Children of Abraham Coalition. Speakers included those from the Christian, Jewish, Muslim, and Sikh faiths. The latter acknowledged that Sikhs, while radically monotheistic - do not trace their roots back to Abraham, but were there in solidarity.

The Imam representing the Muslim Community Center took time out of his remarks to acknowledge the Sikhs in attendance. He noted (and I am no doubt doing a poor job paraphrasing him) that he had enormous respect for the Sikh community because, when a Sikh is killed in an act of Islamophobic terror, the Sikh community never responds by asserting "we are not Muslims" but, rather, by asserting that xenophobia must be defeated.​

That speaks volumes. It left me wishing that we had active Sikh participation here at RF.

ronki23

Yeah that's really fascinating, yet the only country in the Middle East with Sikhs in it are the UAE.

Not my fault if you give Iran and Saudi Arabia as examples.

According to wikipedia there are "more than 250,000 Hindus, more than 70,000 Buddhists, approximately 45,000 Sikhs," in Saudi Arabia

Freedom of religion in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia

And this (imo it's propaganda)

By the way Flankerl, did you look at my thread about Jews in the Middle East? There are some queries I have and I said that Israel can follow the India democratic model so that both Jews and Muslims can live in the same country

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
According to wikipedia there are "more than 250,000 Hindus, more than 70,000 Buddhists, approximately 45,000 Sikhs," in Saudi Arabia.

By the way Flankerl, did you look at my thread about Jews in the Middle East? There are some queries I have and I said that Israel can follow the India democratic model so that both Jews and Muslims can live in the same country.
If a Sikh has problems with eating beef, there are so many other kinds of meat available.

Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi is going to Israel soon. We are finally going to accept full diplomatic relations with Israel. Perhaps he will have a word of advice for Netanyahu. :)

ronki23

If a Sikh has problems with eating beef, there are so many other kinds of meat available.

Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi is going to Israel soon. We are finally going to accept full diplomatic relations with Israel. Perhaps he will have a word of advice for Netanyahu. :)

I never mentioned beef; Sikhs shouldn't be eating ANY halal meat but even Jhatka meat is technically a ritual slaughter as they recite prayers when they do it.