• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do qualia (feelings) exist?

Do feelings exist?

• YES!

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • NO!

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

MD

qualiaphile
To be honest you're nothing more that a sack of empty arguments, you know physicalism has been proven wrong. I don't need to write a very elaborate essay to prove it to you, just ask the various academics dropping it.

You don't really target our arguments, but fuss over semantics and dance around the topic to confuse the person you're debating. Prove to me there's the color red, or that feelings exist in physical reality. Oh wait you can't because there's no such thing. Case closed.

Enai de a lukal

you know physicalism has been proven wrong
Thanks for proving my point. When I come at you, all you do is beg the question, or fling some other fallacy at the wall and hope it will stick.

You got nothin', "bro".

I don't need to write a very elaborate essay to prove it to you, just ask the various academics dropping it.
Wow, is this a joke post? Is the idea to "get me" by doing precisely what I accused you of- committing a fallacy with literally every sentence you write? If that's what you were going for, you've succeeded. Good job.

You don't really target our arguments
What arguments? "Physicalism is clearly false", "everyone knows physicalism is false", "you're a Dennett fanboy"? These are not arguments.

raw_thought

According to enaidealukal there is an actual physical triangle in your brain when you visualize a triangle!!!:facepalm: For enaidealukal anything that exists must be physical. Therefore since visualized triangles obviously exist, they must be physical.

Last edited:
Reactions: MD

raw_thought

1. Only the physical exists.
2. Visualized triangles exist.
3. Therefore, visualized triangles are physical.
What kind of a physical triangle is it? Obviously, there isn’t an actual physical triangle in one’s brain * nor can it be an illusion. Physical illusions can be physically recorded. For example, put a straight straw in half way into a glass of water. It will appear bent. A photograph will show the straw as bent.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...I/AAAAAAAABcc/lha-sAxJE-w/s200/bent+straw.jpg .
Can you take a photo of anyone’s brain that shows the illusion of a triangle? Of course not! If you say that the illusion is not physical then the experience of the illusion is not physical, it is an example of qualia ( http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qualia/ ). In other words an experience that does not correspond to a physical reality.
* Neurons are not firing in a triangular shape etc.

Last edited: