• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Public Schools Turn Out Stupid Students?

Which do you MOST agree with?

• "I was primarily educated in public schools and public schools produce stupid students."

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • "I was primarily educated in private schools and public schools produce stupid students."

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • "I was primarily educated in public schools and public schools can produce intelligent students."

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • "I was primarily educated in private schools and public schools can produce intelligent students."

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I think it boils down to individuals and individidual/family circumstances. I think a great education can be received from either public or private school. It takes an effort on behalf of parents, teachers AND students to make it happen.

I consider my sisters and I to be fairly intelligent people. Our parents are intelligent. We were blessed to be born without disabilities and physical/emotional roadblocks to keep us from developing normally.

Our parents have shown concern over our mental development since birth. We were read to as children. My mother was home with us for much of our young lives and she worked with us, helped us form letters and numbers. We were encouraged to read and write during our summers. My parents paid close attention to our homeworks, classes, grades, etc. as we went through school. They knew our strengths and weaknesses. We were taught to give our best and we had their support.

We went to public school and did well.

My daughter is now in K-5, her third year in her Christian private school. She is doing beautifully as I suspected she would. She too was born without mental/physical disabilties. She, like I was, has been read to since birth and she's encouraged to write and create. She gets one on one attention at school as well as at home. She's reading and writing at six years old and is now learning cursive writing.

I have the same attitude that my parents have with me. I expect her to put forth her best effort. Whatever the results are, her father and I will be pleased.

I suspect her sister will do well next year as well as she begins K-3.

If we decide to place them in public school in the future, I suspect that they will thrive academically there as well.

In summary, I don't think that any educational institution necessary produces "smart" or "stupid" kids. I think whether or not a child develops into a "smart" individual depends on personal and family circumstances and effort of parents, the child and teachers to make the most of the education provided.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I go to a public school, and have all my life. Saying that public schools make kids stupid is similar to saying private schools make kids stuck-up snobs. ;)

There are smart kids and dumb kids at my school. I don't think the school made them that way, I think that's just the way they are. I am in one of the better public school systems in the nation, and one of the best high schools in that system. We test in the top 5 school systems in the state every year. My public school offers over 100 different courses, including Psychcology, Astronomy, Computer Programming, Digital Design, Forensics, Nursing Education, and Criminal Justice. But then in a bordering school system, you have the inner-city Nashville schools which only offer around 20 of the most basic courses. So the point is, I really don't think we can stereotype all public schools as producers of smart/dumb, qualified/unqualified, aware/ignorant students when they are so widely varied. Same thing with private schools. I've known some real idiots who go to private school in my lifetime, and in my county, our public schools always test better than the private ones located here and in surrounding counties. It's impossible to make blanket statements when talking about public vs. private schools.

Rolling_Stone

MFT20080307.jpg

I think it's true.