• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Public Schools Turn Out Stupid Students?

Which do you MOST agree with?

• "I was primarily educated in public schools and public schools produce stupid students."

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • "I was primarily educated in private schools and public schools produce stupid students."

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • "I was primarily educated in public schools and public schools can produce intelligent students."

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • "I was primarily educated in private schools and public schools can produce intelligent students."

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Here again I agree...America sucks..Our children are stupid after being educated here..I know I am..so are my children. my parents.so is my brother and my sisters...and my husband..and my 3 boys..We are STUPID ...

Thank GOD at least they had enough sense to teach us to read..But Im sure thats so we can poke a hole in a voting card ..(those chads can get in the way ya know)...

I WISH I was born in a "better" country..

Blessings

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
P.S...

Both my sons learned how to play Cello in public school..and my 18 year old speaks Chinese he learned in public school...

Blessings

Dallas

logician

Free market education would be like free market healthcare, good for the haves, bad for the have nots.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I was first in my class in a high school that was the equal or better of any private school in the area. I also believe home schooling is no panacea, because the children are sheltered from social interaction that they will need when they hit the real world.
Also, not all parents are really qualified to handle the teaching duties involved.

Yes, my FIL teaches at a very good public school, too. But most public schools are extremely sub par. It depends a lot on the area, but even then. I have a lot of friends who homeschool full-time, and yeah, I agree social interaction can be a challenge, but that's why there are so many homeschooling groups, play groups, sports, that sort of thing to get the children involved in. I do think social interaction is important but not too young. Lil kids can't control their impulses very well and I've seen over and over again they imitate the behavior of the most unruly kid in class.

My lil ones meet most of their friends at church. Hmm...I'm not sure what the "real world" is but as long as it's not run by MTV I'm sure my kids will be prepared for it.

I totally agree not all parents are qualified to homeschool...but I also think not all teachers are qualified to teach. I've been in enough of their classrooms to know that much.

crystalonyx

Yes, my FIL teaches at a very good public school, too. But most public schools are extremely sub par. It depends a lot on the area, but even then. I have a lot of friends who homeschool full-time, and yeah, I agree social interaction can be a challenge, but that's why there are so many homeschooling groups, play groups, sports, that sort of thing to get the children involved in. I do think social interaction is important but not too young. Lil kids can't control their impulses very well and I've seen over and over again they imitate the behavior of the most unruly kid in class.

My lil ones meet most of their friends at church. Hmm...I'm not sure what the "real world" is but as long as it's not run by MTV I'm sure my kids will be prepared for it.

I totally agree not all parents are qualified to homeschool...but I also think not all teachers are qualified to teach. I've been in enough of their classrooms to know that much.

A lot more parents are not qualified to teach than teachers, it's like saying someone who programs a little at home is a good as a professional programmer, or that any amateur is as good as a pro, it just ain't so.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Ideally, that would be my preference. I'm not sure how we get there from here. I think it would have to go hand in hand with a total libertarian reform of government, a radical downsizing of it.
Actually, I shudder at the idea of completely privatized education. Maybe I should've put an emoticon in there.

I was just trying to point out how odd it is to describe school vouchers, i.e. government-issued funds, equal for everyone and only usable for one particular form of service, as anything approaching "the private sector" or "market-driven".

It's a half-measure approach that on the one hand acknowledges that people should have a universal right to education, yet on the other hacks away at that right for many children. At least the folks who advocate fully private education are consistent in their logic: their position is that education is not an entitlement, period, and while I disagree with this position, I can understand it. The voucher system is the halfway position that has one foot in each boat, and because of this, doesn't satisfy either set of aims.

If education is an entitlement and a proper purpose of government, then measures that harm it, such as voucher systems, are a bad idea. If education is not an entitlement and should be properly provided by the free market, then government interferences in it, such as voucher systems, are a bad idea.

Vouchers are bad both ways. They're only good for those who would benefit from them directly, while letting the system as a whole suffer.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Free market education would be like free market healthcare, good for the haves, bad for the have nots.

Very illogical logician. Did you really think this one through? The "haves" already go to the school of their choice. Free market education would let the disadvantaged children that yearned for a real education a chance to achieve something.

Some of our inner city schools only offer classes in pre penitentiary studies.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Very illogical logician. Did you really think this one through? The "haves" already go to the school of their choice. Free market education would let the disadvantaged children that yearned for a real education a chance to achieve something.

So the people who shop at Good Will because they can't afford anything better will get a chance at a real education if they have to pay for it?

Frankly there wouldn't be a whole lot of difference. If you have money now, you go to a decent or good school. If you don't have money, you live in a worse area generally, and so go to a worse school.

S, yes, the haves would keep their good schools, and the have nots would continue to attend poor schools. No diference.

crystalonyx

Live in the real world friend, a "free market" education means NO education for the have-nots. Every child has "ACCESS" to a decent education under the current system, including special ed kids. a free market education would be the worst of all worlds, poor educational standards, cherry picking of students, schools set up for religious purposes instead of educational purposes only. The public school system is much better than we're led to believe by the RW pundits promoting unconstitutional voucher systems. Let's improve the system we have, not scrap it.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i'm a product of the public school system, if anyone wants to call me stupid that's their prerogative, but the fact that i can use the word prerogative in a sentence is evidence to the contrary.

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
Public schools do a very good job given a: the lack of funding and b: the way the teachers are treated.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
A lot more parents are not qualified to teach than teachers, it's like saying someone who programs a little at home is a good as a professional programmer, or that any amateur is as good as a pro, it just ain't so.

In my experience, people who truly WANT to homeschool are usually pretty good at it. Like one of my friends told me she can teach her child in 2 hours what she'd learn at 8 hours in school because the teacher to student ratio is 30 times better. LOL.

blackout

Violet.
schools in general box people into "cirriculums"
instead of constructing "cirriculums" around individuals.

I'm just not crazy about schools (the whole school mentality) in general.
Hardly matters if it's public or private.
And often "homeschooling" looks exactly like "school"
just that it's at home. eh.

logician

Public school teachers are under paid and over protected.

Your quotes are not funny, to anyone who is a teacher (my wife is). Teachers are underpaid, overworked, and generally treated like dirt because the adminstration can get away with it. If teachers try to strike or to pull a sick-out, they are accused of mistreating the students, a no-win situation.

Scott C.

Just one guy
doppelgänger;1083210 said:
In another thread, the Good Reverend suggested that if people appear to be stupid or ignorant, it must be because they went to public (primarily government funded) schools.

Do you agree? Why or why not?

I'm attaching a poll. Please vote in it.

The public schools I attended and those my kids attend all offer a great education, if the student is motivated and willing to receive it. A problem I see is that some public schools allow kids to get away with getting very little education, if that's what the student wants.

logician

In my experience, people who truly WANT to homeschool are usually pretty good at it. Like one of my friends told me she can teach her child in 2 hours what she'd learn at 8 hours in school because the teacher to student ratio is 30 times better. LOL.

To be honest, kids that I have met that have been homeschooled have been very sheltered socially.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm sure she would... and I'd tell you that I'm an excellent car mechanic, despite not having a mechanic's licence, and despite never having taken an auto repair course in my life.

Would you want me working on your car, though? :D