• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Public Schools Turn Out Stupid Students?

Which do you MOST agree with?

• "I was primarily educated in public schools and public schools produce stupid students."

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • "I was primarily educated in private schools and public schools produce stupid students."

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • "I was primarily educated in public schools and public schools can produce intelligent students."

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • "I was primarily educated in private schools and public schools can produce intelligent students."

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
In another thread, the Good Reverend suggested that if people appear to be stupid or ignorant, it must be because they went to public (primarily government funded) schools.

Do you agree? Why or why not?

I'm attaching a poll. Please vote in it.

doppelganger

A secondary question: Do you think the enmity toward public education is really motivated by religion? Or put another way, does it seem like the vitriol reserved for public schools almost invariably comes from those who want to use education to implant their particular religious creed into young children?

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1083217 said:
A secondary question: Do you think the enmity toward public education is really motivated by religion? Or put another way, does it seem like the vitriol reserved for public schools almost invariably comes from those who want to use education to implant their particular religious creed into young children?

IMHO, the primary purpose for government funded schools is to assure that the poor masses of people in the country are fed well enough in their youth and in proper condition mentally and physically to die for the country in war. Therefore, the schools produce stupid students because the school system is producing people who are smart enough only to mop the deck on a battleship or hold an unloaded gun serving as cannon fodder. The leaders of the military will come, optionally of course, from the wealthy folks who actually get an education at private schools, or perhaps did really well in the best public schools.

It's a secondary achievement to produce mindless folks to do the most menial work during peacetime.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1083227 said:
LOL. I love that someone already chose option 1. :D

That was me, dopp. I wish the poll was public. I am intimately and painfully aware of the stupidity of publicly educated folk.:yes:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I cannot vote because some people who go to public schools get a good education in spite of the system. If you want to speak in terms of the majority, public schools are deficiant in science and math which is what students need to be proficient in to be competitive scholastically.

I'm sure this thread will not address the majority of students and will be a parade of exceptions.

While you tell me about how wonderful your local public government run school is, just remember the disadvantaged inner city youth that is being robbed of an education because the voucher system does not exist.

Turning your head away from the reality of so many wasted minds and unsuccessful lives really gives you something in common with the "other party" you rail against.

Ignoring the most needy among us while bragging about "your school" is unethical. The price we all pay is more people on welfare and in prison.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste and vouchers would give EVERY CHILD a fighting chance at receiving a good education.

doppelganger

IMHO, the primary purpose for government funded schools is to assure that the poor masses of people in the country are fed well enough in their youth and in proper condition mentally and physically to die for the country in war. Therefore, the schools produce stupid students because the school system is producing people who are smart enough only to mop the deck on a battleship or hold an unloaded gun serving as cannon fodder. The leaders of the military will come, optionally of course, from the wealthy folks who actually get an education at private schools, or perhaps did really well in the best public schools.
I agree in part.

How can anyone be intelligent enough for leadership roles if they are a product of such a system?

And if everybody gets the magical "vouchers" and goes to private schools, won't private schools then have to do this exact same thing? Where will the cannon fodder come from?

You can't change the nature of education and the stratification of society through switching to vouchers. The results need to be the same either way. So doesn't it seem like the real reason for the vouchers is to increase opportunities to indoctrinate students in religious creeds using public money?

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1083235 said:
I agree in part.

How can anyone be intelligent enough for leadership roles if they are a product of such a system?

It happens now. Like I said, the purpose of government-sponsored education inevitably serves the primary interest of the government, which is self-preservation. The government does not need poets, artists, and musicians, or even real smart poor people in order to preserve itself. It needs an educated upper-class in charge of wealth and poor people to do menial labor and fight wars. Everything else is gravy.

Military strategy is not very difficult. The Armed Forces are fairly well connected to the basic skills taught in public school. Also, one can go from public school to college and on into military leadership. I have the option now of joining as a Capt. in the army.

doppelganger

It happens now. Like I said, the purpose of government-sponsored education inevitably serves the primary interest of the government, which is self-preservation. The government does not need poets, artists, and musicians, or even real smart poor people in order to preserve itself. It needs an educated upper-class in charge of wealth and poor people to do menial labor and fight wars. Everything else is gravy.

So just to clarify, any person who is a product of public schools is stupid?

doppelganger

And what does that say about the people who serve in the military and die in wars? It seems that the "honor" we pretend to bestow upon them is really a mockery. Would you agree?

A

angellous_evangellous

I suppose that I would say "If the schools are producing stupid people, they are in part fulfilling their purpose, but only if the students are healthy and strong enough to be soldiers or factory workers."

It would be better if they were better educated.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1083243 said:
So just to clarify, any person who is a product of public schools is stupid?

No, that's not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that the purpose of public schooling is not to make them smart.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1083244 said:
And what does that say about the people who serve in the military and die in wars? It seems that the "honor" we pretend to bestow upon them is really a mockery. Would you agree?

Absolutely not. It is an honor to die for the country. It's better for a stupid person to have that honor than a smart one, however.

doppelganger

No, that's not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that the purpose of public schooling is not to make them smart.
So all those courses I took in public schools in such subjects as History, English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Art, Engineering, Biology, Civics, Psychology and Humanities were not intended to help me become smarter? And I did not improve my intellectual abilities by participating in them?

doppelganger

Absolutely not. It is an honor to die for the country. It's better for a stupid person to have that honor than a smart one, however.

Let me get this straight: We deny access to good eduction to the poor, labeling them "stupid" because of the poor education we provided which was intended to keep them stupid. We then let them die in wars for us, and pretend they didn't die because they were intentionally kept "stupid." That's sounds like the "honor" bestowed is actually mocking them.

crystalonyx

I went to and my sons went to a public school that was the equal or better of any private ones in the area. Remember, many private schools don't necessarily require their teachers to be certified, so the quality of education in them can be worse. Public schools must accept everyone which is why they naturally would have worse test scores on average than private schools. This is not a function of the quality of the institution, but of the motivation of the people who attend the school.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1083250 said:
So all those courses I took in public schools in such subjects as History, English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Art, Engineering, Biology, Civics, Psychology and Humanities were not intended to help me become smarter? And I did not improve my intellectual abilities by participating in them?

I would be shocked if your core curriculum of history, english, and math were not geared toward the superiority of America, preparing you ideologically and practically to fight or do other menial labor. This trend may be changing due to liberal wackos, and that is very unfortunate.

The other stuff was extra, advanced curriculum now a part of preparation for college courses. You excelled beyond your peers, and that's great. But the bulk of the students are less stellar and fulfilled the role of public schooling nicely, getting fed in the cafeteria for a reasonable price or free, required to do some form of exercise for most of their schooling, produced in condition reasonably good for war or work.

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1083251 said:
Let me get this straight: We deny access to good eduction to the poor, labeling them "stupid" because of the poor education we provided which was intended to keep them stupid. We then let them die in wars for us, and pretend they didn't die because they were intentionally kept "stupid." That's sounds like the "honor" bestowed is actually mocking them.

That strawman doesn't even make sense.

Some military honors are propaganda, dopp. Besides, dying in the army may be the one thing honorable that an idiot has ever done.