• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do People limit God by putting so much emphasis today on the Bible?

GodInUs

The Bible is great to read and study, absolutely!

Paul, Peter, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John........ does it end there?

Are those the ones God only used, and still uses today?

Does He no longer speak or act through anyone else like He did through those He used in the Bible?

What is God saying today, right now in this present age?

Oh hold on! Let me go look in the Bible!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
One of the benefits of being an atheist that I see is I don't go about putting any limitations on the idea of any gods. I accept the fact that humans don't really know anything about any god. Therefore there is no reason to accept any claims made by any human being about god, past present or future.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As a non-Christian, I would broaden that to include all the scriptures. There are parts of the Bible and other scriptures that are relevant today. But beyond that the eternal Avatar does take form from time-to-time to give the same eternal message but in a form relevant to the times.

Reactions: xir

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Does He no longer speak or act through anyone else like He did through those He used in the Bible?

Oh hold on! Let me go look in the Bible!

Don't know what god is "saying" since I don't see god like that. I do feel people are putting (cough) god in a box, book, person, and so forth. It's not hard to get to know god (it is possible) since there is no separation. Know yourself. Know god. Long as you have a middleman/thing, makes it more mysterious thereby seemly impossible and in need of one's faith.

In my opinion, if god where god as commonly defined, I don't see how his prophecy and interaction with be confined and stop based on age. It really makes god more conspicuous when he is limited by time and method of interaction.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
The "Words of God" is nothing more than a guidance for us humans in order to live accordingly to the social and ecological "Laws of Nature", and not the "Jungle Laws" of course. We are humans after all.

BTW: The "Words of Goddess" is equally important as the Words of God :)

truthseeker11

Hi GodInUs,

Interesting questions. I am not sure what you believe about what you posted, mainly due to your last comment, but in any case, I will try to answer your questions to the best of my understanding and ability.

Agreed.

It makes sense to me that it does not end there because Paul said in the Bible that "all Scripture is inspired by God". So according to the Bible, if others are "inspired to write" in God's spirit of love then that could be considered Scripture as well.

I believe God still uses them today, especially the words of Jesus. Note what Jesus says,
"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away." But no, it doesn't make sense to me that only those specific people that wrote the Bible would be used to communicate God's message of love to the world throughout history.

It makes sense to me that He would still speak and act through those who are showing sincere efforts to "love others like they love themselves" today. But who do you know who is actually trying to put that into practice? Anyone you know? Are we ourselves trying to do that?

It would make sense to me that God is saying the same things today, that was said to people in the past (i.e. along the lines of, "love other people as I have loved you"). If we saw just a small handful of people attempting to do that as it was done back in the 1st Century, it would change the world as we know it today.

I would be interested to hear anyone's feedback or thoughts. Agree, disagree, not sure, etc.