• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do other faiths/religions have an equivalent of ''Sola Scriptura?''

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Hmm. The closest thing I have to that is the Book I write myself that outlines the important aspects and rituals of my religion. Entries are revised and changed as needed, but provided they are an accurate reflection of what I currently do, they are something of a "supreme authority." Read the entry I have on energy work and it will tell you my approach towards that subject, for example. The Book isn't intended to extend to anyone other than myself, though, although the files that make it in there have a fair bit of research and experience behind them.

I've got my own one of these too :)

pearl

Sola Scriptura isn't in the Bible. Lolol.

So the Bible states;

2Tim 3:16
All scripture inspired by God is profitable for teaching, for refutation, for correction.

Sola Scriptura was an afterthought following the Reformation. One has to wonder what they did before the invention of the printing press. Catholics understanding of Scripture,
God is the principal author, with the writer as the human collaborator. Thus the scriptures are the word of God in human language, assuming God does not speak words. Whereas the idea of Scripture alone, the evangelists were robots taking dictation. Its a dead end. Catholics are open to possible interpretations as they interpret how Scripture relates to the life of the Christian today.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You don't even have to be literate to be a perfectly fine Jesus adherent. It does help to have those who study Scripture, however.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Practical inference, for example. We know that /any other details aside/, the world was created in a matter of days, ie very quickly.

This is what 'Sola Scriptura', means

pearl

You don't even have to be literate to be a perfectly fine Jesus adherent. It does help to have those who study Scripture, however.

This is true. One hears Jesus preached. The stain glass windows of the church tell the story.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
In Christianity, there are many denominations, because there are many interpretations of the Bible out there. There is a belief among many Christians, that only the Bible is the supreme authority when it comes to a Christian's beliefs. (or should be)

I don't follow a Sola Scriptura position with my faith, as I believe faith should be experienced, and all that one believes, doesn't need to only flow from the pages of one's holy text. So, this got me to wondering...if you are of a different faith, outside of Christianity...do you have any type of equivalency when it comes to a Christianity's ''Sola Scriptura?''
Sola-Scriptura is a joke. If the Bible is the final and only authority then there needs to be something in Scripture that says it is.

Quite the Contrary. For hundreds of years Christians debated what the correct canon of Scripture would be before the Roman Catholic Bishops made an infallible declaration on what the canon of Scripture would be.

If you don't trust the Church authority, no sense in trusting the Bible. The Bible is a Catholic book. It exists because of Church authority

syo

In Christianity, there are many denominations, because there are many interpretations of the Bible out there. There is a belief among many Christians, that only the Bible is the supreme authority when it comes to a Christian's beliefs. (or should be)

I don't follow a Sola Scriptura position with my faith, as I believe faith should be experienced, and all that one believes, doesn't need to only flow from the pages of one's holy text. So, this got me to wondering...if you are of a different faith, outside of Christianity...do you have any type of equivalency when it comes to a Christianity's ''Sola Scriptura?''
to that extent, no.