• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do other faiths/religions have an equivalent of ''Sola Scriptura?''

Deidre

In Christianity, there are many denominations, because there are many interpretations of the Bible out there. There is a belief among many Christians, that only the Bible is the supreme authority when it comes to a Christian's beliefs. (or should be)

I don't follow a Sola Scriptura position with my faith, as I believe faith should be experienced, and all that one believes, doesn't need to only flow from the pages of one's holy text. So, this got me to wondering...if you are of a different faith, outside of Christianity...do you have any type of equivalency when it comes to a Christianity's ''Sola Scriptura?''

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd actually say that the Sola Scriptura doctrine of Protestantism isn't really majority Christian belief as such as neither the Orthodox or Roman Catholic Church hold to it. Just sayin :D

Edit I'm saying this because the RCC is the largest denomination and combined with Orthodoxy is obviously even larger.

Last edited:

Deidre

I'd actually say that the Sola Scriptura doctrine of Protestantism isn't really majority Christian belief as such as neither the Orthodox or Roman Catholic Church hold to it. Just sayin :D

Edit I'm saying this because the RCC is the largest denomination and combined with Orthodoxy its obviously even larger.

lol Yes, that could be. But, in evangelical circles, it's still a pretty popular widespread belief. Which is weird, because the Bible doesn't tell the full story, doesn't tell everyone's story as it relates to their relationship with God. My reason for returning to faith, had nothing to do with the Bible. If people evolve, I wonder why many feel that their faith can't evolve. :blush:

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
lol Yes, that could be. But, in evangelical circles, it's still a pretty popular widespread belief. Which is weird, because the Bible doesn't tell the full story, doesn't tell everyone's story as it relates to their relationship with God. My reason for returning to faith, had nothing to do with the Bible. If people evolve, I wonder why many feel that their faith can't evolve. :blush:
Sola Scriptura isn't in the Bible. Lolol.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm. The closest thing I have to that is the Book I write myself that outlines the important aspects and rituals of my religion. Entries are revised and changed as needed, but provided they are an accurate reflection of what I currently do, they are something of a "supreme authority." Read the entry I have on energy work and it will tell you my approach towards that subject, for example. The Book isn't intended to extend to anyone other than myself, though, although the files that make it in there have a fair bit of research and experience behind them.

Deidre

Hmm. The closest thing I have to that is the Book I write myself that outlines the important aspects and rituals of my religion. Entries are revised and changed as needed, but provided they are an accurate reflection of what I currently do, they are something of a "supreme authority." Read the entry I have on energy work and it will tell you my approach towards that subject, for example. The Book isn't intended to extend to anyone other than myself, though, although the files that make it in there have a fair bit of research and experience behind them.
I love this idea of a book you wrote for yourself! This seems realistic because nothing is static, you know? People especially aren't static, and we evolve and grow...so for people to never look beyond the Bible as it relates to Christianity, is kind of short sighted, IMO. And limited. I don't imagine God to fit entirely into this nice, neat little book.

There are "Quran alone" Muslims, though. They even have their own DIR forum here.

Really? I never knew this.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Sure.
Islam does.
Convert or die.
Simple what?
Peace be on you.
Holy Quran
[2:257] There should be no compulsion in religion. Surely, right has become distinct from wrong; so whosoever refuses to be led by those who transgress, and believes in Allah, has surely grasped a strong handle which knows no breaking. And Allah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing.

[4;138] Those who believe, then disbelieve, then again believe, then disbelieve, and then increase in disbelief, Allah will never forgive them nor will He guide them to the way.

No compulsion + free to accept or go out --- No punishment in world, God will see it latter.

Good wishes.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
To be fair and honest Christianity also converted by the point of a sword.
Christianity has a very dark past.
PAST is the operative word.
Islam is still in the 7th century in many ways.
W.T.C.
France.
Miami
Jihad Report
Sep 10, 2016 -
Sep 16, 2016

Attacks 43
Killed 191
Injured 228
Suicide Blasts 6
Countries 14

All other religions combined?
ZERO

Explain that please?

I DO firmly believe Islam IS the religion of peace.
Too many of Islam just don't see it that way.

I have NOTHING against Islam.
I have EVERYTHING against murder for any reason.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In Christianity, there are many denominations, because there are many interpretations of the Bible out there. There is a belief among many Christians, that only the Bible is the supreme authority when it comes to a Christian's beliefs. (or should be)

I don't follow a Sola Scriptura position with my faith, as I believe faith should be experienced, and all that one believes, doesn't need to only flow from the pages of one's holy text. So, this got me to wondering...if you are of a different faith, outside of Christianity...do you have any type of equivalency when it comes to a Christianity's ''Sola Scriptura?''

I used to as I'm falling away from Nichiren Buddhism practices. We have the Lotus Sutra as "scripture" and Nichiren's Writings (Gosho) which I felt was commentary but some schools use it as scripture too. We pray to a summarized version of it on a scroll. Basically, Nichiren literally says, the Lotus Sutra is our object of worship. Personally, I think each school takes it more literally than others. The organization I had practiced with makes the scroll a source of enlightenment (the foundation of where their enlightenment comes) rather than using the source as commentary but actually meditating and reading what The Buddha actually taught.

Gosh, it's been so long since my grandma passed (I think you remember?) when I was talking about my ancestors and ancestral spirits. I don't know where in the mix I fell from that relationship but once I found it back, it became confusing but at the same time, I'm at total peace. With your OP, my present practice, there isn't a scripture. For scripture beliefs, I am sola-scriptura but with this practice and connection, I can't find any other scripture other than practice, ritual, and prayer.

arthra

Baha'i
...if you are of a different faith, outside of Christianity...do you have any type of equivalency when it comes to a Christianity's ''Sola Scriptura?''

Deidre,

Thanks for the interesting question! I can appreciate the belief that "scripture" in and of itself should have a prominence above say doctrines that developed over time or the opinions of followers which can change.

The concept is that the Word of God should have prominence.. It is implied that we should be as close to the Divine revelation as possible... For me the Bible is an inspired Holy Book and in it's time a record of past Divine revelations... I also believe there have been Divine Revelations that have followed the Bible...chronologically. So the Qur'an would represent to me a succeeding revelation as well as the revelation of the Bab and succeeding that, the revelation of Baha'u'llah.... Baha'u'llah specified that in no less than a thousand years and new revelation would succeed His own.

For me the succeeding revelations following the Bible were accurately recorded and represent as close to the Divine Message as we can determine.. The Bab and later Baha'u'llah wrote down what They experienced with pen on scrolls and what we call "Tablets" or They had amanuenses who recorded the revelation and these were later checked and verified by the Author(s).

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Would King James Onlyism count?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't really agree with the extent of @jeager106 's claims, but it seems to me that Muslims very consistently talk of the Qur'an in terms that sure imply a posture comparable to Sola Scriptura.

I don't think that is limited to the Quranists, either. On the contrary, it seems to be a fairly uniform Muslim trait.

buddhist

Hi @Deidre, no, in my understanding of early Buddhism, there is no such thing as "sola scriptura" as it exists in the Protestant Christian sense (I was once within Protestant Christianity, for 3 decades).

IMO in early Buddhism, Reality itself and its Laws are the highest authority. Even the words of the Buddha passed down to us are not "scriptura" in the Protestant Christian sense; we see them as the commentary by the foremost enlightened Teacher on Reality and its Laws.