• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Do not swear" (Alah)

Teritos

Jesus has given us a new commandment:
Matthew 5:33-37
I say to you, do not swear at all, but make sure your statement is, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’; anything beyond these is of evil origin.

This new commandment is so important that it is even repeated by an apostle:
James 5:12
But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you do not fall under judgment.

The Hebrew word for "oath" is Alah. The interesting thing is that this hebrew word also means "curse". So Alah means "oath" and "curse". See Strong's Hebrew: 423. אָלָה (alah) -- an oath (biblehub.com)
This word is very similar to the Arabic word Allah. It is also a fact that the followers of Islam swear very often and gladly by saying "Wallah", even their prophets often swore. I wonder if this is just a coincidence? And what do Jews say about the similarity of these two words?

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Jesus has given us a new commandment:
I say to you, do not swear at all, but make sure your statement is, ‘Yes, yes’ or ‘No, no’; anything beyond these is of evil origin.

This new commandment is so important that it is even repeated by an apostle:
But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you do not fall under judgment.

The Hebrew word for "oath" is Alah. The interesting thing is that this hebrew word also means "curse". So Allah means "oath" and "curse". See Strong's Hebrew: 423. אָלָה (alah) -- an oath (biblehub.com)
This word is very similar to the Arabic word Allah. It is also a fact that the followers of Islam swear very often and gladly, even their prophets often swore. I wonder if this is just a coincidence? And what do Jews say about the similarity of these two words?
Do you have a spesific situation you heard Muslims swearing?
Allah in Arabic means God,
The language Jesus was speaking is Aramaic where the word for God is Alaha. So not very different in Arabic, Jewish or Arameic language.

Teritos

Allah is etymologically linked to the Hebrew word Eloah, and both are generic terms for deity.
If so, why does Alah mean curse in Hebrew? It seems that Allah is not linked to Eloah.

Alah: Aleph Lamed He = Curse
Allah: Aleph Lamed He

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
If so, why does Alah mean curse in Hebrew? It seems that Allah is not linked to Eloah.

Alah: Aleph Lamed He = Curse
Allah: Aleph Lamed He
From Arabic اللّٰه‎ (allāh), contraction of اَل‎ (al-, “the”) + إِلَه‎ (ʾilah, “deity”); cognate with the Aramaic אלה‎ (aláh) and אלהא‎ (aláhâ), and Hebrew אֵל‎ (él), אֱלוֹהַּ / אֱלֹהַּ‎ (elóah) and אֱלוֹהִים \ אֱלֹהִים‎ (elohím); ultimately from Proto-Semitic *ʾil-.

Allah - Wiktionary

Teritos

Do you have a spesific situation you heard Muslims swearing?
Yeah, I know a lot Muslims who swear very often by saying "Wallah", also in their Islamic Scriptures their Prophets are swearing a lot.

The language Jesus was speaking is Aramaic where the word for God is Alaha. So not very different in Arabic, Jewish or Arameic language.
Alaha is Syro Aramaic. Jesus did not speak this language, he spoke the aramaic which also is uses in some parts of the bible, the aramaic word for God is Elah. But other languages are not the topic

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yeah, I know a lot Muslims who swear very often by saying "Wallah", also in their Islamic Scriptures their Prophets are swearing a lot.

Alaha is Syro Aramaic. Jesus did not speak this language, he spoke the aramaic which also is uses in some parts of the bible, the aramaic word for God is Elah. But other languages are not the topic
You do know that Wallah mean I swear by God, and that is not swearing in the bad way. it is like saying i swear by God that i speak the truth. it is not like using english swearing words

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

In Islam it means to state that something is true. The Christian equivalent is to swear on the Bible that you speak the truth and is used to 'swear in' a witness in a court of law.

Teritos

From Arabic اللّٰه‎ (allāh), contraction of اَل‎ (al-, “the”) + إِلَه‎ (ʾilah, “deity”); cognate with the Aramaic אלה‎ (aláh) and אלהא‎ (aláhâ), and Hebrew אֵל‎ (él), אֱלוֹהַּ / אֱלֹהַּ‎ (elóah) and אֱלוֹהִים \ אֱלֹהִים‎ (elohím); ultimately from Proto-Semitic *ʾil-.

Allah - Wiktionary
Incorrect information. The Aramaic word for God is Elah not Alah. See Strong's Hebrew: 426. אֱלָהּ (elah) -- God, god (biblehub.com)

The Hebrew word Alah still has more similarity with Allah.

Teritos

You do know that Wallah mean I swear by God, and that is not swearing in the bad way. it is like saying i swear by God that i speak the truth. it is not like using english swearing words
I know, but Jesus said, don't do it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You use the bible to tell a muslim that Wallah is wrong to use because it is written in the bible :confused: i dont mean by any means to be rude, but where is the logic in that?
Do you have a qoute from any Surah that say the same?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I do not think that the Muslims follow the Gospels, though I could be mistaken. Last time that I checked they even denied the crucifixion.

Teritos

You use the bible to tell a muslim that Wallah is wrong to use because it is written in the bible :confused: i dont mean by any means to be rude, but where is the logic in that?
Do you have a qoute from any Surah that say the same?
If you want to continue swearing then do it, but for Christians a YES and a NO is enough. It is not allowed to swear, neither by God nor by oneself.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you want to continue swearing then do it, but for Christians a YES and a NO is enough. It is not allowed to swear, neither by God nor by oneself.
I have nothing against Christians or the Christian teaching, to be honest i am happy that you found a teaching in Jesus that you can believe in and find peace in. So i am just a bit surprised, because this OP you created is not the first one where you seem to say Islam is a false teaching (even you dont say it in plain words)

But you know what. It is ok you do not agree with Islam or muslims, I will love you as a human being no matter anyway.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How do you keep from doing so in a court of law where you have to swear to tell the truth (though one does not need to invoke God).

And I have noticed that when people swear on their children that they are almost always lying. Why would anyone think that this is convincing at all?

Teritos

In Islam it means to state that something is true. The Christian equivalent is to swear on the Bible that you speak the truth and is used to 'swear in' a witness in a court of law.
Jesus said it is not allowed. A NO or a YES is enough. According to Jesus, the one who swears is of evil origin. If he says we should not swear by anything, then we shouldn't do it.

Teritos

How do you keep from doing so in a court of law where you have to swear to tell the truth (though one does not need to invoke God).

Do not swear at all, not even in court.
Why would anyone think that this is convincing at all?
He who swears puts his own soul as a pledge, but if he lies, he loses his life. In the OT, death is the punishment for not swearing truthfully. So it's a matter of life and death, that's why it's convincing.