• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do not resuscitate

exchemist

Veteran Member
When my husband (72) came home from hospital on Monday after having a possible TIA, on which the jury is still out, we had a serious discussion. He said that if he had a major stroke he would not wish to be resuscitated. He reckons he has lost so much after his brain haemorrhage in 2006, which trashed half his brain not being able to do the things he can still do would be a fate far worse than death. We have discussed it with our children and they agree that his wish should be upheld.

Are there any posters on this forum who for religious reasons disagree with a person having the right to request not to be resuscitated if it became necessary?
Certainly from the Catholic perspective I don't think there is any issue. It is not sinful to allow nature to take its course. When my wife was dying of cancer in hospital, the nurses asked her about it and, through her wall of drugs and the mental confusion of her fading powers she scribbled rather wildly "no resusc" on several post it notes. (I only found this out clearing her room after she had gone - it must have happened while I was not there. Or perhaps she wanted to spare me being involved in the question.) The same issue came up when my mother was dying of a massive stroke. We had a family consultation and said no, if she starts going, let her go. There is a time when intervention has to stop.

Although he intended it ironically, I quote Arthur Hugh Clough: "Thou shalt not kill, but needst not strive officiously to keep alive."

P.S. My 91 yr old father, by contrast, after 2 strokes and loss of the use of his legs, says he is quite happy in his nursing home, continues to get something out of his heavily circumscribed life, and does want to be resuscitated if his heart stops. So that's what we've told them.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
When my husband (72) came home from hospital on Monday after having a possible TIA, on which the jury is still out, we had a serious discussion. He said that if he had a major stroke he would not wish to be resuscitated. He reckons he has lost so much after his brain haemorrhage in 2006, which trashed half his brain not being able to do the things he can still do would be a fate far worse than death. We have discussed it with our children and they agree that his wish should be upheld.

Are there any posters on this forum who for religious reasons disagree with a person having the right to request not to be resuscitated if it became necessary?

Sorry to hear of your situation. As Baha’is we do have some guidance on the matter of things like not revived or such things but as you see it’s a matter of individual conscience and no law has been made for or against it by our House of Justice.

Here is the letter a reply probably to someone in a similar situation with which you could be faced.

We have received your letter… in which you ask for the Baha’i viewpoint on euthanasia and on the removal of life support in medical cases where physiological interventions prolong life in disabling illnesses. In general our teachings indicate that God, the Giver of life, can alone dispose of it as He deems best, and we have found nothing in the Sacred Text on these matters specifically but in a letter to an individual written on behalf of the beloved Guardian by his secretary regarding mercy killings, or legalized euthanasia, it is stated: ‘…this is also a matter which the Universal House of Justice will have to legislate.’ Until such time as the Universal House of Justice considers legislation on Euthanasia, decisions in the matters to which you refer must be left to the conscience of those responsible. – Lights of Guidance, pp. 290-291.

JJ50

Sorry to hear of your situation. As Baha’is we do have some guidance on the matter of things like not revived or such things but as you see it’s a matter of individual conscience and no law has been made for or against it by our House of Justice.

Here is the letter a reply probably to someone in a similar situation with which you could be faced.

We have received your letter… in which you ask for the Baha’i viewpoint on euthanasia and on the removal of life support in medical cases where physiological interventions prolong life in disabling illnesses. In general our teachings indicate that God, the Giver of life, can alone dispose of it as He deems best, and we have found nothing in the Sacred Text on these matters specifically but in a letter to an individual written on behalf of the beloved Guardian by his secretary regarding mercy killings, or legalized euthanasia, it is stated: ‘…this is also a matter which the Universal House of Justice will have to legislate.’ Until such time as the Universal House of Justice considers legislation on Euthanasia, decisions in the matters to which you refer must be left to the conscience of those responsible. – Lights of Guidance, pp. 290-291.

I think everyone should have the absolute right to end their life, with help if necessary, should it be intolerable due to an incurable illness.

Etritonakin

(I have been a caregiver for three elderly relatives) I believe it is one's personal business whether or not they want to be resuscitated -and it is not against any commandment to allow them to make that choice -or to refrain from resuscitating them yourself. One relative just liked a good fight and wanted to delay their passing for likely that reason alone -the others were ready to go -looking forward to the afterlife -and saw no point in continuing when they really could not have a positive effect anymore -or were alive technically but not able to take part in life at all, were constantly in pain or severe discomfort, etc.
We are able to prolong life much more now than in the past -and that can be a good thing -but it can also prolong pain and discomfort unnecessarily and get in the way of what would naturally happen otherwise.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

No. Letting nature take its course at the end of your life and accepting your death with the patience of Christ is something to be respected.

Cooky

Veteran Member

If you don't want him to, then there's nothing wrong with you having an opinion on it, and asking him to please be resuscitated. He's your husband, so your opinion matters too.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJ50

If you don't want him to, then there's nothing wrong with you having an opinion on it, and asking him to please be resuscitated. He's your husband, so your opinion matters too.

I am in total agreement with his decision not to be resuscitated, just as I would be more than willing to help him die, if that was his wish, if it was legal to do so.