1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Do not resuscitate

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by JJ50, Sep 12, 2019.

1. JJ50

JJ50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    When my husband (72) came home from hospital on Monday after having a possible TIA, on which the jury is still out, we had a serious discussion. He said that if he had a major stroke he would not wish to be resuscitated. He reckons he has lost so much after his brain haemorrhage in 2006, which trashed half his brain not being able to do the things he can still do would be a fate far worse than death. We have discussed it with our children and they agree that his wish should be upheld.

Are there any posters on this forum who for religious reasons disagree with a person having the right to request not to be resuscitated if it became necessary?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Amanaki

Amanaki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,612
    Religion:
    Cultivator of Buddha Dhamma
    I think any person who do not wish to be resuscitated should be listen to. It is their life and if they understand it will only be suffering for them self and family if they do get resuscitated and they wish not this toward family, i would liste to that person

• Like Like x 1
  3. SomeRandom

SomeRandom Still learning to be wise

Ratings:
    +4,623
    On the contrary. At least for me. It would be a religious duty to respect a Do Not Resuscitate, regardless of any of my feelings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stvdv

stvdv Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,702
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    I wish you all the strength needed

I agree with your decision. And can't think of 1 reason "not to respect" another person (esp. for a religious person; he has a book explaining to love and respect the other as yourself)

5. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +14,579
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Some practical advice:

Make sure that you have multiple copies of the form handy. If you go out and something happens while at a restaurant for example you need the paperwork or else emergency medical services will always resuscitate. They have to. The word of family members is not good enough.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JJ50

JJ50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    We are looking into that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daemon Sophic

Daemon Sophic Avatar in flux

Ratings:
    +1,477
    This.

The medics will try to resuscitate until a DNR order tells them otherwise. A copy in your bag, an alert bracelet or necklace on your hubby, I’ve even seen them on the refrigerator door, and on bedroom doors.
    Verbally, you really won’t have much say until after he has been brought to the hospital.

My best wishes for both you and your husband.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,476
    Religion:
    Catholic
    As for the religious aspect for Catholics;
    The Church clearly teaches that it is morally wrong to impose on anyone the obligation to accept treatments that impose undue burdens on him, his family, and the wider community or to accept treatments that do not offer reasonable benefits or are useless or futile.

Should there be a reason for your husband to be at home without you, in the company of a friend or neighbor, its important to have the DNR in a prominent place to be seen. Once that 911 call is made it is out of your hands.

• Like Like x 1
  9. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +12,111
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    First of all, I'm very sorry that you've been in this predicament. But to your question, there really is nothing morally wrong in not resuscitating if there's little to no chance of survival.

There are some things worse than death.

10. JJ50

JJ50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    We live in the UK. My husband is very independent and still does his own thing in spite of only having half a functioning brain, he goes on long walks by himself, and is at this moment down at the local café having afternoon tea. He doesn't want anyone watching over him. He will have to fill in the appropriate forms to grant a DNR, should it be necessary. .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. pcarl

pcarl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,476
    Religion:
    Catholic
    And carry it with him.

12. JJ50

JJ50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I can't see him doing that.:rolleyes:

13. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +14,579
    Religion:
    Atheist
    At least in the U.S. he would be the only one that could do that. A relative cannot do it for you here.

14. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Active Member

Ratings:
    +528
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Correct me if I am wrong: I don't think you can get a DNR order or bracelet unless you have a terminal disease.

15. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein ᛘᛁᛏᚾᛁᚴᚼᛏ᛫ᛋᚢᚾ
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,680
    Religion:
    Germanic Folk Revival
    No, I don't have a problem with it. When my mother was dying from cancer and was in the hospice, she signed a DNR order. My sister was very upset over it, but I understood.

16. Mindmaster

Mindmaster Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,628
    Religion:
    Theistic Satanist

Well, in my religion there is no duty to suffer unduly.

Likewise, I think it's bad to burden your family with your increasing disability past a certain point. He may wake up and not even know who his family members are -- as had happened to my grandmother on both sides of the family. One was via a stroke and the other was progressive Alzheimer's. Most people when faced with that dilemma would feel that they died already to some extent if they reflected on that before the damage occurred.

At some point any attempt to prolong one's life becomes a futile endeavor with such limited quality as to not be worth it.

17. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,440
    Religion:
    Love
    From my perspective, it's perfectly fine to let nature take its course in such situations.

18. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +18,187
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    They are available to anyone.

19. PureX

PureX Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,068
    Religion:
    Philosophical Taoist/Christian
    Not me. I think he was given the gift of life with the intention that he live it as he chooses. And that includes when and how it ends, if that decision falls within the realm of possibility.

20. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,274
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Very sound advice. You have to keep the paperwork at hand.

• Useful Useful x 1