• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Do Not Prattle About God"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"If you wish to be perfect and without sin, then do not prattle about God. Also you should not wish to understand anything about God, for God is beyond all understanding. A master says: “If I had a God that I could understand, I would not regard him as God.” If you understand anything about him, then he is not in it, and by understanding something of him, you fall into ignorance.”

-- Meister Eckhart

Please discuss!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
"If you wish to be perfect and without sin, then do not prattle about God. Also you should not wish to understand anything about God, for God is beyond all understanding. A master says: “If I had a God that I could understand, I would not regard him as God.” If you understand anything about him, then he is not in it, and by understanding something of him, you fall into ignorance.”

-- Meister Eckhart

Please discuss!

Totally agree. I have often said that the minute you put human qualities and attributes--love, hate, anger, etc.--on God you are no longer talking about God.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

-- Meister Eckhart

Please discuss!

Let me ask.

Why is knowledge, ignorance and ignorance, knowledge?

Why do people trust the unknown and doubt the known?

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The Eckhart Society: His Teachings | Eckhart

Brief summary of eckhart's ideas in the link above.

First glance I'd guess he's getting his ideas from NT writers like James and John and pulling other Jewish ideas and establishing a reformed version of Roman Catholicism. Its called 'Mystical'.

There seem to be some parallels with Buddhism, because he talks about the birth of God in the soul and about finding God within. It is not the same thought but somewhat similar in practical ways when some Buddhists attempt to become their already enlightened selves which they call their Buddha Nature. Eckhart wants people to remain connected to God through 'Passivity'. Some Buddhists have a similar sounding practice of attempting to grow more aware through stillness and driving away thoughts.

rusra02

Premium Member

-- Meister Eckhart

Please discuss!
That is not what the Bible teaches. (John 17:3) It is true we cannot understand everything about God; it is not true we cannot understand anything about the true God. Romans 1:19 states: "what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them." In fact, I believe the entire Bible is God's means to kindly share with us knowledge and understanding about him. (Jeremiah 31:34)

Pudding

-- Meister Eckhart

Please discuss!
Claim 1: You will or might become imperfect and sinner if you prattle about God.
Claim 2: God is beyond all understanding.
Claim 3: By understanding something about God, you fall into ignorance.

Meister Eckhart haven't provide any evidence to support his claims in this thread.

If God is beyond all understanding, then how do he come to understand "God is beyond all understanding"? By understand something about God that God is beyond all understanding, he fall into ignorance?

Which God?

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I like the way Rumi puts it:

"In Silence"

A guide has entered this life in silence.
His message is only heard in silence.

Take a sip of his precious wine
and lose yourself.
Don't insult the greatness of his love,
for he helps all those who suffer, in silence.

Polish the mirror between the breaths.
Go with him beyond words.
He knows your every deed.
He is the one who moves the wheel of heaven,
in silence.

Every thought is buried in your heart;
He will reveal them one by one, in silence.

Turn each of your thoughts into a bird
and let them fly to the other world.
One is an owl, one is a falcon, one is a crow.
Each one is different from the others
but they are all the same in silence.

To see the Moon that cannot be seen
turn your eyes inward and look at yourself,
in silence.

In this world and the next,
don't talk about this and that;
Let him show you everything,
shining as one . . .
in silence.

-- Ode 1897

Part of mastery is declining to deal in claims, proofs of claims, supporting claims, etc.
The master explains nothing, because explanations are illusions.
He claims nothing, because a claim is illusion.
He attributes nothing to himself, because he doesn't exist.
The master can not know God, because to know God, the mind engages itself, and God is something mind can never know.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Some Buddhists have a similar sounding practice of attempting to grow more aware through stillness and driving away thoughts.
More like awareness and allowing the thoughts to run their course without disturbance, if you are talking about what I think you are.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

-- Meister Eckhart

Please discuss!
Oh good! That I do not understand God makes God God.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The Eckhart Society: His Teachings | Eckhart

Brief summary of eckhart's ideas in the link above.

First glance I'd guess he's getting his ideas from NT writers like James and John and pulling other Jewish ideas and establishing a reformed version of Roman Catholicism. Its called 'Mystical'.

There seem to be some parallels with Buddhism, because he talks about the birth of God in the soul and about finding God within. It is not the same thought but somewhat similar in practical ways when some Buddhists attempt to become their already enlightened selves which they call their Buddha Nature. Eckhart wants people to remain connected to God through 'Passivity'. Some Buddhists have a similar sounding practice of attempting to grow more aware through stillness and driving away thoughts.
Awareness helps, but it's still emptiness when it's all said and done. It's like trying to answer the koan, "What was your original face before your parents were born"?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That is not what the Bible teaches. (John 17:3) It is true we cannot understand everything about God; it is not true we cannot understand anything about the true God. Romans 1:19 states: "what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them." In fact, I believe the entire Bible is God's means to kindly share with us knowledge and understanding about him. (Jeremiah 31:34)

I think the Bible is often at odds with mystics like Eckhart.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I don't believe in God but I know the fantasy of it.

God is a mighty rushing wind
where it comes from and where it goes, you can not tell,
The one who will rescue us from ourselves, if only we'd hear God's voice,
ways and knowledge past ever figuring out.
The maker of the known and unknown.
God creates life in the shadows of death.
if only you would join God on his never-ending battle and quest to make life, especially where none seems possible

Thief

Rogue Theologian

-- Meister Eckhart

Please discuss!
and in the scheme of superlatives......bigger, faster, stronger, more intelligent and greatly experienced

cannot be pushed aside,circumvented, subdued, cheated or tricked.......

He would be the Almighty....whether I understand Him ......or not

if I don't ...that's no surprise to Him
if I do.....I have no excuse against His will

I for one will not be allowed a plea of ignorance

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Here's a thought: The bible and the ancient primitives who wrote it were mistaken, and their perception and portrayal of god was in their own image. This is exactly what the quote in the OP addressed, and unfortunately that was clearly lost upon you.