• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?

Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?

• I belong to one of these religions and believe they worship the same God

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I belong to one of these religions and believe they worship different Gods

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I belong to neither religion and believe they worship the same God

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I belong to neither religion and believe they worship different Gods

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

calm

The general Islamic view is yes, they worship the same God.

I'm not certain about the Christian view. It appears to vary quite a bit which is why I am particularly interested in the Christian view on this.

Why do you think they worship the same God/different Gods?
No, they do not. Muslims believe in another "God", they deny Jesus and those who deny Him deny the Father. For the Father is the Son and the Son is the Father.
Christians believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and Muslims believe in the "God" of Esau and Mohammad.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
No, they do not. Muslims believe in another "God", they deny Jesus and those who deny Him deny the Father. For the Father is the Son and the Son is the Father.
Christians believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and Muslims believe in the "God" of Esau and Mohammad.

This is the common egocentric view of 'other' religions. Muslims believe in the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob.

Wasp

I was being rhetorical. When people describe other religions they consider false they describe the 'other' beliefs are considered 'fables.'
I know, but the poster I responded to has made plenty of clear statements about his beliefs to which I referred to as fables. Since I don't have any such specific opinions about Judaism or Christianity I can't relate. I deny them as I am a muslim for the same reasons other Muslims do, but rarely, if ever, do I make such statements about them as the person I was responding to makes about Muhammad. Because I haven't really made up my mind about their specific histories etc.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I know, but the poster I responded to has made plenty of clear statements about his beliefs to which I referred to as fables. Since I don't have any such specific opinions about Judaism or Christianity I can't relate. I deny them as I am a muslim for the same reasons other Muslims do, but rarely, if ever, do I make such statements about them as the person I was responding to makes about Muhammad. Because I haven't really made up my mind about their specific histories etc.

I have put the scripture of all religions in the context of the culture and time they were written. The line between reality, mythology, fable, anf fact is often blurred, with the believers claimed reality and facts dominate 'their scriptures,' and everything is understood from their context, which results in contradictions and by themselves in general out of context with reality.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
No,
Christians worship the Trinity, of which the Father is in Heaven, the Holy Spirit lives in us, and Jesus lived amongst us.
This Jesus was crucified, and rode from the dead.
That is the Christian God.
The Islamic God does not know a Trinity, It denies the Divinity of Jesus, and calls the Holy Ghost either Muhammad, or Gibriel.

the Quran is clear!
It wants us to believe that we worship the same God in Surra 29:46.
But in Surra 4: 157 it denies that Jesus died on the cross.

We have the 1400 year old conclusion.
The Bible say Jesus was crucified, the Quran says no, He was not.

Christianity is a religion where the Trinity is worshipped, as one God, The Quran thinks the Trinity is 3 gods, and actually understands it as a Father, a physical son of God, and Mary, the mother of God.
I do not even consider Muhammad as a prophet of YHWH. He was a prophet of an imposter Angel, Gibriel.
In the Bible Jesus spoke to this angel, there he is called Legion!

By that logic, Jews don't worship the same god, either. They're not trinitarian nor do they accept the divinity of Jesus.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No, they do not, except perhaps in very rare cases.

But then again, gods are unavoidably extremely personal in nature. Christians and Muslims will not hold very similar god-conceptions among themselves either, even within a given family or temple.

One may be taught some specific conception of a deity, but the actual substance of that deity will exist in the personal conception of same.

And those are all over the place, and that is not at all a bad thing... except when we find ourselves presuming that they somehow are the same.

shmogie

The way the bible is deified is pretty damn idolatrous.
The Bible isn´t deified. Unlike a Muslim with the Koran, you could take any of my thirteen different versions, and burn it, it is just a book, not a god.

However, it is the record of Gods communications to man over thousands of years years.

One cannot know God, and become in harmony with him, without the instructions and history of how to do so,

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

I'm not certain about the Christian view. It appears to vary quite a bit which is why I am particularly interested in the Christian view on this.

What's more important to me is that Christians and Muslims should be friends.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

They worship different gods.

Jesus, according to Islam did not die on the cross, but let Judas do it instead.

Galatians 1:8 says "even if an angel" declares a Gospel, contrary to the one given, let them be under a curse.

Even if an angel. Interesting choice of words, no?

Wasp

The Bible isn´t deified. Unlike a Muslim with the Koran, you could take any of my thirteen different versions, and burn it, it is just a book, not a god.
The Qur'an is not a god either to state the obvious, but since most have just that one copy it'd be nice of you not to burn it.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
They worship different gods.

Jesus, according to Islam did not die on the cross, but let Judas do it instead.

Galatians 1:8 says "even if an angel" declares a Gospel, contrary to the one given, let them be under a curse.

Even if an angel. Interesting choice of words, no?

This dos not logically lead to the conclusion they worship different Gods. It is an example of the many conflicting and contradictory views of God in the diverse divisions of Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Zoroastrianism, and the rest. If differences in belief are the measure, different churches worship different Gods.

If you are a monotheist there is only one God regardless.

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

They see Jesus as a prophet. That's not denying him. Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all Abrahamic religions.