• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?

Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God?

• I belong to one of these religions and believe they worship the same God

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I belong to one of these religions and believe they worship different Gods

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I belong to neither religion and believe they worship the same God

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I belong to neither religion and believe they worship different Gods

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Wasp

The general Islamic view is yes, they worship the same God.

I'm not certain about the Christian view. It appears to vary quite a bit which is why I am particularly interested in the Christian view on this.

Why do you think they worship the same God/different Gods?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Every individual's idea of god is probably at least a wee bit different from most everyone else's idea.

I know that didn't help, so allow me to add that Sufism -- which is the only area of Islam I feel I might have even minimal knowledge of -- has a concept of deity that is only vaguely similar to any Christian concept I know of, outside of certain Christian mystics. But Sufism is not mainstream Islam. Anyway, for what it's worth.

pearl

Arab Christians have called God Allah before Islam. To think this does not assume the same God there would be multiple gods.

Cooky

Veteran Member

I'm not certain about the Christian view. It appears to vary quite a bit which is why I am particularly interested in the Christian view on this.

I think Muslims worship God. I don't agree with the way they do it though.

Essentially, I don't like the way Mohammad was... I think Muslims worship God in spite of Mohammad.

Sorry. I just feel the need to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Sorry. I just feel the need to be honest.
I, for one, appreciate that you shared this.

OP: I echo the sentiment of Sunstone; it's difficult to speak for everyone in these two groups. That said, I voted that both worship the same God. Why? In conversations with Christians, it seems that even those that believe in a literal trinity worship 1 God.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Every individual's idea of god is probably at least a wee bit different from most everyone else's idea.

Exactly. I don't know much about the various forms of Islam but I know enough about different types of Christianity (and individual Christians) to conclude that not even all Christians worship the same god...

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

I say yes.

It is the abrahamic god. Judaism was abrahamic religion 1.0
Christianity was 2.0
Islam is 3.0

You might say mormonism is 2.5. Or 2.0b or something. :)

Some names are different and some details defer, but they basicly all tell the same OT story.
They most obviously have the same judaic roots.

SA Huguenot

No,
Christians worship the Trinity, of which the Father is in Heaven, the Holy Spirit lives in us, and Jesus lived amongst us.
This Jesus was crucified, and rode from the dead.
That is the Christian God.
The Islamic God does not know a Trinity, It denies the Divinity of Jesus, and calls the Holy Ghost either Muhammad, or Gibriel.

the Quran is clear!
It wants us to believe that we worship the same God in Surra 29:46.
But in Surra 4: 157 it denies that Jesus died on the cross.

We have the 1400 year old conclusion.
The Bible say Jesus was crucified, the Quran says no, He was not.

Christianity is a religion where the Trinity is worshipped, as one God, The Quran thinks the Trinity is 3 gods, and actually understands it as a Father, a physical son of God, and Mary, the mother of God.
I do not even consider Muhammad as a prophet of YHWH. He was a prophet of an imposter Angel, Gibriel.
In the Bible Jesus spoke to this angel, there he is called Legion!

ajay0

The Jehovah's witnesses, a sect of Christianity that holds Jesus to be a prophet, and worships Jehovah instead, is the one amongst Christian sects which is the most similar to Islam and Judaism.

In the Dharmic religious sects, the Prajapita Brahmakumaris, a monotheistic sect that worships a single incorporeal God, also considers Jesus to be a prophet.

shmogie

God is defined by how He has revealed Himself to humanity.

The god of Islam, revealed through one man thousands of years after Judaism, and centuries after Christianity, is simply not the same god.

Certainly that one man appropriated parts of both religions, nevertheless his god is not the same God as that of Jews and Christians.

shmogie

No,
Christians worship the Trinity, of which the Father is in Heaven, the Holy Spirit lives in us, and Jesus lived amongst us.
This Jesus was crucified, and rode from the dead.
That is the Christian God.
The Islamic God does not know a Trinity, It denies the Divinity of Jesus, and calls the Holy Ghost either Muhammad, or Gibriel.

the Quran is clear!
It wants us to believe that we worship the same God in Surra 29:46.
But in Surra 4: 157 it denies that Jesus died on the cross.

We have the 1400 year old conclusion.
The Bible say Jesus was crucified, the Quran says no, He was not.

Christianity is a religion where the Trinity is worshipped, as one God, The Quran thinks the Trinity is 3 gods, and actually understands it as a Father, a physical son of God, and Mary, the mother of God.
I do not even consider Muhammad as a prophet of YHWH. He was a prophet of an imposter Angel, Gibriel.
In the Bible Jesus spoke to this angel, there he is called Legion!
For every truth there is a lie. For the genuine, there is a counterfeit. For the true God of the Bible, there is a lie and counterfeit.

gnostic

The Lost One
Yeah, right.........................No
You believes that god is “holy”, right?

But you also think the Bible is “holy”, don’t you?

You think God is “inerrant”, but don’t most Christians believe that the Bible itself is “inerrant”?

When Christians compare the the Bible to God, as having the same attributes, then essentially your Bible has become an idol.

Muslims do exactly the same thing with the Qur’an, treating a book as holy and inerrant.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Whenever a different religion wants to add on to the previous, they add qualities from their culture and society to their national deity. Allah is "God" in Arabic, just as Jehovah is the NT name for god and Yahweh is the OT name for god, but although there are more similarities then differences, they reflect the culture, but to them he is the same god.