• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Morals Matter

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Yes, basic morals are instinctual within each of us. A baby or child of course can't discern these morals because they are helpless and dependent on their parents.
They can't discern at infancy ,but when they get to be 1 or 2 ,it's clear that when I watch them close enough,they do things that are very instinctive, for example : I saw one of the twins of my friends ,take a toy that the other twin had in his possesions, he looks around to see if the authority figure has seen him.
It's almost like he knows it's wrong ,but his nature which is naturally one of selfishness and greed to have what he does'nt have, is stronger than the the action he knows he should' do.
I have seen this over and over again in kids that have never really been shown what is right or wrong regarding particular actions, it's very interesting.

Could you clarify this a bit? Are you trying to say that God instilled basic morals into the cognitive psyche of humans
Absolutely ,I believe we have this instinct, the social system, all authority and civil law enforce and instill these morals, but there is a certain degree within each of us

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1. I like to think they're writ into the fabric of the Universe, like the laws of thermodynamics. But, from a practical standpoint we have to treat them as human creations/discoveries, with broad social functions.

2. Ideally they would enable optimum action (skt: Karma); smooth, harmonious interaction between an individual and his fellow beings/society/ world/Universe.

3. This question would take at least an essay to answer. In short, morals affect our actions, although they're often invoked post hoc to excuse or explain some controversial course of action.

4. I agree with Gandhi's view on this. One simply makes the conscious choice to conform one's actions, hereafter, to principle. Thus, one can become moral in an instant.
Of course, this presupposes that one actually has a comprehensive set of moral principals already installed. Someone at a Kohlberg level two, for example, might not have the capacity to become a moral person, though he might be able to act morally, provided he is not presented with moral conundrums outside the scope of whatever external dogma he uses.

5. I don't know what I think about this question, but I feel that morality is the determiner of quality. A defective moral conscience = a defective, poor quality person. I'm undecided about a fairly comprehensive but uninstalled morality, ie: a level two, but I tend to feel that these people are moral cripples, in that they need an external set of rules to lean on to proceed properly.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Where do they come from ?

I'd say that justified morals come from a consideration of the needs of human flourishing.

Otherwise, they can come from just about anywhere.

What do they do for society

They help produce people of good character that form the bedrock of any healthy society.

How do morals effect [sic] our own personal lives?

If they are proper morals, they help us to flourish through wise action.

How does one become moral ?

Mainly by practicing and developing moral skills.

Do morals matter

They sure do!

eudaimonia,

Mark