• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do morals evolve or...

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems there have been many changes in popular morality over the centuries. For instance, since 1900 alone, police brutality has increasingly become socially unacceptable while lying has increasingly become acceptable.

I do not think there has been an evolution towards any particular goal or outcome. Like biological evolution, changes in morality seem to be without regard to whether something is for the better or not.

But despite some changes in morality, anyone who reads ancient history is assured that human nature pretty much remains the same now and before.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Morals change as societies evolve.
Keeping in mind that evolve does not necessarily mean change for the better.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Morals evolve, and evolve they must, since the social environment and understanding does change along time, thereby making better moral achievement possible.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Morals change as societies evolve.
Keeping in mind that evolve does not necessarily mean change for the better.

so my question is,
if what is wrong now was not in the past, how do we come to the realization that that is wrong?

i like to think of evolving morality as sort of like peeling back the layers of indifference and getting closer to the core to our inclination of striving for self dignity

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Morals evolve, and evolve they must, since the social environment and understanding does change along time, thereby making better moral achievement possible.
If moral achievement is "better" only by the new standards, is it really better?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Morality changes as social attitudes change. And social attitudes change with time.

are you saying there is no constant standard by which we are moving towards
or
what is wrong today was not wrong in the past simply because of social attitudes change.

Midnight Pete

are you saying there is no constant standard by which we are moving towards
or
what is wrong today was not wrong in the past simply because of social attitudes change.

Not to put too fine a point on it, yes. That's what I'm saying.

Slavery was once considered perfectly moral in this part of the world but since social attitudes changed, slavery is now considered morally wrong. Ditto for how the rights and status of women have changed in the last few centuries.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Not to put too fine a point on it, yes. That's what I'm saying.

Slavery was once considered perfectly moral in this part of the world but since social attitudes changed, slavery is considered morally wrong. Dittoi for how the rights and status of women have changed in the last few centuries.

well i would disagree with that only because there were abolitionists...
were they more moral then slave owners?

Midnight Pete

well i would disagree with that only because there were abolitionists...
were they more moral then slave owners?

Yes, because they cared about the lives of human beings owned as slaves. Abolitionists genuinely wanted to help these people, and not just for some personal gain. That is moral.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
then do you think slavery, for instance, can be considered acceptable again, here in the western world?
I doubt it. If so, it would slowly creep it's way into acceptance. Perhaps starting with a form of indentured servitude to pay off debts.

I would never consider it morally permissible, but a society as a whole could.
But right now the horrors of our last attempt at dehumanizing slaves are still fresh in our minds.