• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Moral Ideals Matter?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Given the often observed fact that people frequently fall short of living up to their moral ideals, is it important to have moral ideals? Do they matter?

Terry Sampson

'd like to hear what you mean. Could be a good discussion
I doubt it. I think I know what ethical nihilism may mean, but I won't swear to it, and your use of the term caused me to wonder where you picked it up. Or is it a neologism of your own making? (In case it's not obvious, I haven't googled the term.)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I doubt it. I think I know what ethical nihilism may mean, but I won't swear to it, and your use of the term caused me to wonder where you picked it up. Or is it a neologism of your own making? (In case it's not obvious, I haven't googled the term.)

The definition gets complicated. If you are arguing against my use of the word, some articles will agree with you, and some articles I think will agree with me.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I see now you were probably just asking for clarification, and not arguing. My picking up the term just has a lot of backstory behind it.

74x12

Given the often observed fact that people frequently fall short of living up to their moral ideals, is it important to have moral ideals? Do they matter?

Yes, you'll never be perfect but it give you something to try for.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I guess I'll tell a part of the backstory. I used to talk to a couple of people who I would describe as Unitarian Universalists and strong debaters, like 19 years old but I was only like 21 at the time. They came from expensive schools and helped me with my ideas and vocabulary. I've lost a lot of that knowledge over the years, but it's a term I remember.

Terry Sampson

1. I see now you were probably just asking for clarification, and not arguing.
  2. My picking up the term just has a lot of backstory behind it.
#1. Yep.
#2. Indeed.

I read: "some nihilists contend that it remains a useful tool".
Ha! To paraphrase a previous quote that I've posted in RF, which goes like this: "All models are wrong; but some models are useful", I suppose some nihilists would say "All morals are wrong; but some morals are useful". No?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
#1. Yep.
#2. Indeed.

I read: "some nihilists contend that it remains a useful tool".
Ha! To paraphrase a previous quote that I've posted in RF, which goes like this: "All models are wrong; but some models are useful", I suppose some nihilists would say "All morals are wrong; but some morals are useful". No?

Probably. I see nihilism as much like trying to stop yourself from experiencing emotion - you may achieve it for a short while, it may even help you think and debate more logically, but there are long term effects, and much like that bottle of water you drank, emotions can't stay in forever.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I was about to write that without such ideals we'd be no better than lower animals but there are examples of behavior in such animals that look and feel like morality albeit on an instinctual basis.

So my answer is a qualified yes based on at least two factors. One is culturally based morality versus universal. The other is that knowledge can lead to a higher morality overriding common morality.

One qualification is that some morality is culturally or religion based and varies by culture and religion. Such moral principles are to me less important to try to live up to. One simple example are whether or not men should have beards - a man without a beard is violating the tenets of some religions and thus acting in an immoral manner.

But there are common ethical/moral principles that are pretty close to being universal. The Golden Rule might be expressed in terms of karma, by reference to some particular scripture or as a humanist ethical principle.

Something so universal must to me have intrinsic value and thus be worthwhile trying to live up to.

Another qualification relates to knowledge. There is a neat story in the Quran about Moses and Khizr. The "executive summary" is that Moses wanted to travel with Khizr to learn more wisdom. Khizr said that Moses was too ignorant but allowed him to join the journey. As they traveled, Khizr did actions which seemed cruel and immoral and that upset Moses greatly. At the end Khizr explained why he had done what he did. For example, in sinking a boat of a boatman, he stopped a cruel king from seizing the boat. So knowledge can override morality because a higher morality is involved.

So finally, yes, morality is worth striving for but along with that we should understand that some morality is relative and some might be superseded by a higher morality based on knowledge.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

"It is the struggle itself that is most important. We must strive to be more than we are. It does not matter that we will not reach our ultimate goal. The effort itself yields its own reward." - Gene Roddenberry

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know if Michelangelo really said this but it seems highly relevant here:

"The great danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."