• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do mainstream Christians, via use of jargon, avoid addmitting they practice magic?

Athan

Magic |maj-ic|
the practic of effecting a desired result via the use of ritual and/or incantation;
the practice of magic often invokes the name, favor and/or power of a
supernatural being

According to the definition above, do Christians practice magic? Yes, they do.

Please note that prayer is not to be confused with spellcasting, as prayer is, at the same time, supplication and submission. The boy who asks God to heal his dog is not casting a spell, provided that he leaves the result up the deity he prays to. That said, perhaps the majority of Christian prayers have little to no magical attributes.

However, when one compare Christian prayers to other Christian practices, and avoids the use of "Christianese" jargon, the practice of magic among Christians is easily apparent.

I can't think of any better example than the practices of consecration and exorcism. Such rites qualify as magic in that they invariably invoke the name of God, especially God incarnate, which is often used in a command given to the preternatural, and tend to involve the use of substances/objects that have previously been blessed in the name of Christ, and often follow prescribed ritual.

Even the phrase "God bless you is a spell", as the speaker believes that its use causes the receiver to be blessed.
I've always been uncomfortable with using the word "magic" to describe the power of God. As far as I'm concerned, if "magic" is involved, it's not of God.