• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do liberals really believe the “golden rule”

SinSaber

Liberals always say they treat others like they would want to be treated more than conservatives do. Then comes their famous quote “I don’t tolerate intolerenace”(course most of it isn’t intolerance. It’s liberals putting their moralities as true morality and anything even slightly below is automatic bigotry, but I digress). Is this hypocrisy?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I don't think so. Hypocrisy is telling others to do something that you don't do yourself. But in the situation you describe they are copying the behavior they claim hate. So they are setting the intolerant free by showing that intolerance is what they prefer.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Liberals always say they treat others like they would want to be treated more than conservatives do. Then comes their famous quote “I don’t tolerate intolerenace”(course most of it isn’t intolerance. It’s liberals putting their moralities as true morality and anything even slightly below is automatic bigotry, but I digress). Is this hypocrisy?

Never a fan of the golden rule myself. I do what I do because I believe it to be the right thing to do. You do what you feel is the right thing to do.

Hopefully we can find common ground within that.

David T

Premium Member
difficult call, depending on perspective.
Bele_and_Lokai.jpg

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Treat others the way they would want to be treated isn't the golden rule, it's the platinum rule. The golden rule is treating other's the way you want to be treated and is decidedly less empathetic because you're only framing the question according to your desires. Looking inward instead of outward. Which means, from a liberal hot button issue, less likely to look at things from the perspective of an lgbt or another religion or whomever is different. Hence being unable to see how something might be intolerant. There are, of course, exceptional missing the point on both sides but that's true of every stance.

As for tolerance, tolerating intolerance is an unobtainable goal and people who ask for it usualy really mean 'set yourself up to fail so the status quo can continue.' Paradox of tolerance - Wikipedia

pearl

Liberals always say they treat others like they would want to be treated more than conservatives do.

I may be wrong but most liberals tend to be Dems who support Entitlements, the environment etc and we accept our responsibility to support these with our taxes. That does not say that all individual liberals practice what they preach. Its the liberals who are so often targeted with the false designation of 'politically correct'.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Why would it be hypocrisy? I do not like intolerance of people's individuality -- racial, religious, sexual, social and so on. I think that people should be free -- so long as they do no harm -- to live their own lives as they see fit. They are not bound to please me, as I am not bound to please them.

But when someone else calls upon us to hate another person or group, to actively seek to do them harm by banishing them from society or denying them jobs or homes, then I think it is incumbent upon us all to urge them to rethink -- to consider what they are doing to others.

Many years ago (1971, actually), there was a church in Toronto run by a Rev. who was urging that homosexuals be jailed and punished, up to and including execution. The People's Church, it was (and still is) called. (Obviously at least slightly mis-named, since it didn't include all people.) Myself and 4 friends went to the service in which the Reverend (Paul D. Smith) was going to proclaim his demand for government to take severe action against us. We made sure we looked gay enough to be recognizable, but otherwise, we were perfectly respectful and well-behaved. We went through the entire service, and lo and behold! the Reverend Smith lost his courage in the face of just 5 of us in his church of hundreds, and said .... nothing. And then we left.

You don't have to hurt people to make your point, nor do you even have to disrespect them. It actually makes me quite happy that Canada is known as one of the most diverse and tolerant nations on the planet -- and my city of Toronto is recognized by the UN as the most diverse metropolis in the world. And we get along, for the most part!

Try thinking about it the other way: offer respect and love to everyone, and just see if it doesn't get returned in kind. Mostly, I think, it does.

dfnj

Communism, workers organizing, Unions, and the ideal of having a more egalitarian society are all based on the golden rule. Liberals are intolerant to excessively selfish behavior at the expense of everyone else. Liberals are intolerant of groups who as part of their charter stand for taking away the rights and equality of others. Why is that the right is so obsessed with the idea that the left is being hypocritical with intolerance. The left will always fight the social domination by authoritarian groups. Fighting for equality and a more egalitarian society is much closer to the golden rule than anything coming from the authoritarians.

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Because all liberals are the same?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Believe" & practice are 2 separate things.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What has golden rule got to do with not tolerating immoral actions?