• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Liberals compromise our voice in American government?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I mean think about it, I just did. There's a lot of liberals in America, but the reason we still have very conservative policies is because we still have a very conservative government. This includes the Democrats. The Democrats aren't what I would call truly liberal.

I think liberals in our country have become content to just sit back and relax because we figure as long as the government doesn't obstruct our right to be liberal, everything is ok.

To me, this attitude is unacceptable. We shouldn't just be sitting back taking our right to be liberals for granted while our conservative government continues passing conservative laws.

We should stand up and call for a truly liberal party, a real liberal voice for America.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The appearance of inaction is just the averaging out of individual actions.
Tis analogous to molecules of hot gas in a jar. They're all moving fast,
but in different directions, so the net effect is that they stay put.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The problem is is that liberals are the minority, and the Conservative crowd does not seem to understand the constitution was written with the intention of protecting the minority from the tyranny of the majority.
The other issue is people tend to focus only on one issue during an election, and ignore everything else. Plenty of Republicans are indeed cutting government budgets, and in many districts they used a chainsaw on the public school budget.
And both sides have a serious voter turn out problem.

MissAlice

I think the problem is America's view of "liberals" are anyone who doesn't agree with the consensus. Our country has a very black and white attitude when it comes to politics. I don't personally ascribe myself to a political ideology but I can think many times I've been called a stinko pinko, that "liberal", abortion supporter and such. I see a lot of marginalizing so it's hard for me to tell what a real "liberal" is anymore.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think the problem is America's view of "liberals" are anyone who doesn't agree with the consensus. Our country has a very black and white attitude when it comes to politics. I don't personally ascribe myself to a political ideology but I can think many times I've been called a stinko pinko....
You shouldn't argue politics with 8-year olds. Their insults are disarmingly cute.

gnomon

I mean think about it, I just did. There's a lot of liberals in America, but the reason we still have very conservative policies is because we still have a very conservative government. This includes the Democrats. The Democrats aren't what I would call truly liberal.

I think liberals in our country have become content to just sit back and relax because we figure as long as the government doesn't obstruct our right to be liberal, everything is ok.

To me, this attitude is unacceptable. We shouldn't just be sitting back taking our right to be liberals for granted while our conservative government continues passing conservative laws.

We should stand up and call for a truly liberal party, a real liberal voice for America.

Yes, that's the question I ask myself every time I think about Bush, jr. and the Republicans in Congress pushed through an entitlement spending bill for Medicare that will cost about half a trillion dollars over ten years. Whenever I think about that I question why conservatives keep refusing to embrace spending.

What?!:sarcastic

I love the nature of political topics these days. Just insert some group in a statement and throw some generalities out there. Some real interesting **** right there.

edit: What is liberalism defined as any more in popular usage. At one time to me it not only meant social freedom but fiscal freedom as well. Which meant freedom to contract, little to no regulation, etc. Now they call that classical liberalism. Just meaningless labels these days.

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I think most Democrats, and Conservatives, at least our elected officials, have it right. They, for the most part, try to stay near the center.

I personally don't want to see a "liberal" force come to power in the same way I don't want to see a "conservative" force come to power. Somewhere in the middle really is the best.

I think a major problem is that most people simply do not know much about politics. In fact, I think most would benefit greatly if they took even an introduction course to U.S. Government of Political Science. If they did, many of the questions that are raised on forums really wouldn't. More so, I think it would cut back on the ultra liberals and ultra conservative parties, which in my opinion are both extremes and really are nothing more than a problem.

It would also help if people truly understood what liberal and conservative actually mean. Because people who do wouldn't really consider our government very conservative.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I think most Democrats, and Conservatives, at least our elected officials, have it right. They, for the most part, try to stay near the center.

I personally don't want to see a "liberal" force come to power in the same way I don't want to see a "conservative" force come to power. Somewhere in the middle really is the best.

What do you see wrong with the liberal "agenda"?

I think a major problem is that most people simply do not know much about politics. In fact, I think most would benefit greatly if they took even an introduction course to U.S. Government of Political Science. If they did, many of the questions that are raised on forums really wouldn't.

Like what? What's an example of a question that wouldn't be asked if people had more knowledge about politics?

More so, I think it would cut back on the ultra liberals and ultra conservative parties, which in my opinion are both extremes and really are nothing more than a problem.

It would also help if people truly understood what liberal and conservative actually mean. Because people who do wouldn't really consider our government very conservative.

What is wrong with the liberal position on things, and why wouldn't you consider our government conservative?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
What do you see wrong with the liberal "agenda"?
I don't see anything wrong with the liberal agenda per se. What I was more referring to is an ultra-liberal agenda, which is seems that the OP is leaning towards.
Like what? What's an example of a question that wouldn't be asked if people had more knowledge about politics?
This question would be one of them.
What is wrong with the liberal position on things, and why wouldn't you consider our government conservative?
Again, I don't think the liberal position is wrong. In fact, even though I would like to consider myself moderate, I do lean more towards being liberal. I think the key though is staying closer to the center, closer to being a moderate, than either ultra-liberal or ultra-conservative.

As for why I don't think our government is "very" conservative (the key here was the word very. I would agree that we do have some conservative policies, but I would hardly classify it as very. I would put it closer to moderate) is because we have many liberal programs in play. There are many policies that are not conservative in nature that our government does follow.

I do understand that there are some conservative policies that our government follows; however, at the same time, they also follow some liberal policies. When it comes down to it, I would say that our government is more moderate than anything, or at least close. Which I think explains why most of our Presidents tend to be close to the middle of the spectrum, neither ultra-conservative or ultra-liberal.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The people who speak for me, are the people who speak the least. I have no interest in supporting anyone's personal psychological issues as public policy - whether those issues manifest as conservative or liberal.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I don't see anything wrong with the liberal agenda per se. What I was more referring to is an ultra-liberal agenda, which is seems that the OP is leaning towards.

OK, so what do you see as the difference between "liberal" and "ultra-liberal"?

This question would be one of them.

Which question? Mine or the OP?

Again, I don't think the liberal position is wrong. In fact, even though I would like to consider myself moderate, I do lean more towards being liberal. I think the key though is staying closer to the center, closer to being a moderate, than either ultra-liberal or ultra-conservative.

But why? What is it about the liberal position that you think people should stay away from? Here's what I'm getting at:

Say you have two brothers. One of them is extremely helpful. He is always around when you need to move or your car breaks down, or you are doing projects around the house. The other is never around. Even simple things like giving you a ride to work while your car is in the shop, since your office is only 10 minutes out of his way is too much for him.

Would you say that when it comes to being helpful, we should all strive to be somewhere in the middle of these two? Or do you think leaning heavily towards the position of the first brother is the way to go?

That's why I'm asking what's wrong with the liberal position. If we should try to not be too liberal, there must be something wrong with it, right?

As for why I don't think our government is "very" conservative (the key here was the word very. I would agree that we do have some conservative policies, but I would hardly classify it as very. I would put it closer to moderate) is because we have many liberal programs in play. There are many policies that are not conservative in nature that our government does follow.

OK, but the fact that we have some liberal policies in place doesn't mean the government isn't very conservative. To me the fact that we had a ban until very recently on military members being openly gay (and it took a big fight to get rid of it), we don't allow legal same-sex marriage, and we have DOMA in place suggests the government is more than a little conservative.

I do understand that there are some conservative policies that our government follows; however, at the same time, they also follow some liberal policies. When it comes down to it, I would say that our government is more moderate than anything, or at least close. Which I think explains why most of our Presidents tend to be close to the middle of the spectrum, neither ultra-conservative or ultra-liberal.

It's not whether or not we have both kinds of policies that determines the answer here, though. What we need to look at is how many of each policy, and how far to one side they are.

Also, I think the reason the president is generally moderate is that that's the best way to get elected or re-elected most of the time. That way, you can appeal to the biggest group of people possible.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
OK, so what do you see as the difference between "liberal" and "ultra-liberal"?
The difference I see is to what level one is willing to go. When I say ultra-liberal, I mean someone who has basically declared all conservative ideas to be useless. I would say nearly the liberal equivalent of Fox News.
Which question? Mine or the OP?
The OP
But why? What is it about the liberal position that you think people should stay away from? Here's what I'm getting at:

Say you have two brothers. One of them is extremely helpful. He is always around when you need to move or your car breaks down, or you are doing projects around the house. The other is never around. Even simple things like giving you a ride to work while your car is in the shop, since your office is only 10 minutes out of his way is too much for him.

Would you say that when it comes to being helpful, we should all strive to be somewhere in the middle of these two? Or do you think leaning heavily towards the position of the first brother is the way to go?

That's why I'm asking what's wrong with the liberal position. If we should try to not be too liberal, there must be something wrong with it, right?
There is a couple things wrong with it. First, we have to wonder why the one brother isn't willing to help. Is it because he simply doesn't want to? Is it because he simply doesn't have the times or means? Or is it because he wants to teach his brother a lesson?

For the brother who is always willing to help, it leaves him open to be used. It isn't a far step seeing the brother being used because he is so willing to help. It could end up leading to that brother being asked for everything, so much so it becomes a burden. That brother runs the risk of loosing everything because he is too willing to help.

At the same time, it can make the other brother become lazy. He knows he can get out of any trouble he may be in, so he doesn't work as hard. It is very possible he allows himself to simply become a slacker, because he doesn't need to do anything.

A moderate position would work perfectly. A brother willing to help, when he believes you need the help. This way, you get the safety net you want, but at the same time have the motivation one needs.
OK, but the fact that we have some liberal policies in place doesn't mean the government isn't very conservative. To me the fact that we had a ban until very recently on military members being openly gay (and it took a big fight to get rid of it), we don't allow legal same-sex marriage, and we have DOMA in place suggests the government is more than a little conservative.
Those are quite small in the big scheme of things. Especially since we see a tendency to a more liberal views. Like you said, homosexuals are allowed to be in the military. There is more support for same-sex marriages shows that there is becoming somewhat more of a liberal vote.

When we look at liberal policies, we see that abortion is legal, we have affirmative action, plus many welfare programs that were supported by liberals. Really, most of these are minor details.
It's not whether or not we have both kinds of policies that determines the answer here, though. What we need to look at is how many of each policy, and how far to one side they are.

Also, I think the reason the president is generally moderate is that that's the best way to get elected or re-elected most of the time. That way, you can appeal to the biggest group of people possible.
I believe we have a pretty equal balance here. And for the most part, especially recently, we are seeing a more evening out.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My observation is that Republicans on average are more forceful, assertive, loud, and are more likely to see things in black and white. This results in them being far more decisive.

Democrats tend to be less assertive, less forceful, more open to compromise, more likely to see things in shades of gray, and this results in them not being very decisive.

I mean, when the Patriot Act was voted on, Democrats just kind of went along with it like the Republicans. And they agreed to enter Iraq. And recently they agreed to extend tax cuts. But on the other hand, when they got that healthcare bill through, Republicans and Tea Partiers were absolutely irate about it.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Well there are twice as many conservatives as liberals(42% to 20% with 35% moderates)...

We have a conservative government because we are a conservative country with a conservative population.

Debunker

What are you smoking? The problem is that the liberals just stood up and spent our economy into subspace. If we get any more liberal policies, we will not have a country for which to stand. The country is in the process of upchucking liberalism at the present time. Our brief trial with liberalism has been a tremendous mistake for both the economy and our world influence. The world does appreciate the American liberals kissing butt but it has no respect for our political leadership. Dictators, terrorist, world thugs, they all love the liberal administration in Washington and give it high marks. The world loves Obama's liberalism and still hates Reagan/GWB's American idealism. I wonder why?

Rainbow Mage

What are you smoking? The problem is that the liberals just stood up and spent our economy into subspace. If we get any more liberal policies, we will not have a country for which to stand. The country is in the process of upchucking liberalism at the present time. Our brief trial with liberalism has been a tremendous mistake for both the economy and our world influence. The world does appreciate the American liberals kissing butt but it has no respect for our political leadership. Dictators, terrorist, world thugs, they all love the liberal administration in Washington and give it high marks. The world loves Obama's liberalism and still hates Reagan/GWB's American idealism. I wonder why?

Excuse me Debunker, but the Conservatives aren't looking out for America or it's economy when they sell our jobs to overseas companies and give corporations citizen status. Don't you sell your conservative nonsense to me. I live in a liberal part of the nation and we look out for small business here and our economy is still one of the best in this country. For your information.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Excuse me Debunker, but the Conservatives aren't looking out for America or it's economy when they sell our jobs to overseas companies and give corporations citizen status. Don't you sell your conservative nonsense to me. I live in a liberal part of the nation and we look out for small business here and our economy is still one of the best in this country. For your information.
It ain't so simple. I live in a liberal area too, where they've driven business out of the state while claiming to help it. We've had
a very anti-business climate....except for the politically connected few who get the subsidies the rest of us pay for. Many of us
have cut back employment & business because it just isn't profitable to operate on the scale of years past.

Rainbow Mage

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Conservatives look out for the government. They think government loyalty makes one American. Liberals believe in looking out for the people, but the reason you don't see that in DC is because "Republicrats" aren't true liberals.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Conservatives look out for the government. They think government loyalty makes one American. Liberals believe in looking out for the people, but the reason you don't see that in DC is because "Republicrats" aren't true liberals.
You must be using different definitions from mine. When I look at liberals (ie, tax & spend, big government types)
like Obama, he's certainly serving government by expanding its size & power. The labels are confusing.

Rainbow Mage

Revoltingist compare the Democrats to liberal parties in Europe. You'll see Democrats aren't real liberals