• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Jehovah's Witnesses still preach from door to door in times of Corona?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Are you okay?
I'm just curious, that's all; nothing big about the question.

I personally do not believe they are 100% effective. Though, we tend to wear them pretty much everywhere were were cannot social distance. So, unless maybe there's thirty or some odd people in one small living room, I don't see wearing masks alone is a problem.

If door-to-door is commanded by Christ, and people wear masks when they can't social distance, it would make sense (at least to me) that since its a command by christ one would take the next best step to wear a mask.

I can see if there were no such masks, then you have a point. Since it's commandment by christ, wouldn't masks be the next best thing if you really need to evangelize to get people to come to christ by biblical mandate?

Get some fresh air?

I don't care for those either. I'd rather talk to people who show interest "first" than calling people with whom I don't know will. But my point is since it's a christ-mandate to evangelize, why not wear masks? (In public, it's not 100% effective. The cases are still going up, it seems. But people still do it. So...)
Where did Jesus say “go door-to-door”?
Do you think, maybe, the important thing is to ‘reach everyone possible’?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Are you okay?
I'm just curious, that's all; nothing big about the question.

I personally do not believe they are 100% effective. Though, we tend to wear them pretty much everywhere were were cannot social distance. So, unless maybe there's thirty or some odd people in one small living room, I don't see wearing masks alone is a problem.

If door-to-door is commanded by Christ, and people wear masks when they can't social distance, it would make sense (at least to me) that since its a command by christ one would take the next best step to wear a mask.

I can see if there were no such masks, then you have a point. Since it's commandment by christ, wouldn't masks be the next best thing if you really need to evangelize to get people to come to christ by biblical mandate?

Get some fresh air?

I don't care for those either. I'd rather talk to people who show interest "first" than calling people with whom I don't know will. But my point is since it's a christ-mandate to evangelize, why not wear masks? (In public, it's not 100% effective. The cases are still going up, it seems. But people still do it. So...)
Read Matthew 28:19-20. Nowhere in this verse is door-to-door mentioned. There are many ways to evangelize!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Where did Jesus say “go door-to-door”?
Do you think, maybe, the important thing is to ‘reach everyone possible’?

There's no need to go door to door COVID or not. So, that's not my point. The point is you can still go door to door if you decide to wear masks. Businesses do the same thing. They keep their business alive because they go by our US public mandate to wear masks. If they decided to social distance first, they'd loose out on money.

Businesses save on money to use masks rather than closing down their store. I would assume JW would use masks instead of not going door to door all together. I mean, if it wasn't that important, I would throw going door to door out even without COVID. It's not necessary.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Read Matthew 28:19-20. Nowhere in this verse is door-to-door mentioned. There are many ways to evangelize!

I think maybe get some fresh air?

I'm being honest. It's not a debate. I was just curious, nothing more.

I edited my last post. It doesn't seem like door to door is really necessary to evangelize COVID or not. If it were, like businesses, you'd still do the next best thing. Businesses can't shut down just because of COVID. The best next thing is wearing masks and try social distancing in the building. That's how I would see things. Why would the JW organization not do the same thing (use the same logic)?

You say masks aren't 100% effective. That's true. But that's besides my point.

Bree

Can I ask. Not being rude. Have masks been considered when going door to door?

there are government restrictions in place for all people.... so we have to follow the govt rules and regulations around covid restrictions. In australia we were not permitted to enter people homes or visit even family. There were very heavy restrictions in place in my state and for the past 6 months or so no one has been allowed in the homes of anyone.

So we follow the government requirements and use different methods of preaching atm. Its all letter writing and telephone preaching.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
there are government restrictions in place for all people.... so we have to follow the govt rules and regulations around covid restrictions. In australia we were not permitted to enter people homes or visit even family. There were very heavy restrictions in place in my state and for the past 6 months or so no one has been allowed in the homes of anyone.

So we follow the government requirements and use different methods of preaching atm. Its all letter writing and telephone preaching.

Wow. And thank you for this answer. In the US, family members can visit each other and everyone it has to be 10 people or less if they do. Washington DC has a curfew between 12-5am. I havnt checked if we have.

Some states let people resume their religious activities but I'm not sure if they are just focused on church services and not door to door. To be deadly honest, I'm surprised knocking on people's doors is legal in general. But I don't know the laws for that.