• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do humans care less now?

Ori

Angel slayer
Although we are more aware of problems in the world, it seems we have become more desenseitized towards the problems.
This world has never been so connected, yet it has never been more apart.

Unedited

Care less about what? In comparison to when?

Personally, I don't think we care about the problems of the world any less now than we did twenty, fifty, or a thousand years ago. Human beings have always been focused on their own problems before others, and those they personally know over those they don't. That's how we work, and I see nothing wrong with it.

For instance, it's not that I don't care about starving children in Africa, it's that I can barely pay for my own food. And if I did have money to give, I'd give to the starving children of Kansas first.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
orichalcum said:
Although we are more aware of problems in the world, it seems we have become more desenseitized towards the problems.
This world has never been so connected, yet it has never been more apart.
Actually, I have noticed a polarization of attitudes, where I used to see indifference. Not too long ago, a persons only concern was survival. Then their only concern was comfort. Nobody talked about child abuse, or spousal rape. Many would just look the other way when they saw injustice.

Only recently have I noticed that people are turning away from themselves and becoming connected to those around them. I watch as whole communities search for missing children, or come together to help an elderly person who needs a new house. I see a lot of people seeking to do a greater good. But I also just have to turn on the news and see how much negative energy is being sent out as well.

Each of us as individuals have to decide are we going to base our decisions on love or fear. There is spiritual battle that will be fought will be within each of us. Not between countries, or religions.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
When you `consider the pre WWII Americans to the present, we care FAR more. But choose a different "snap shot" and that may not be as true.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Orichalcum said:
Do humans care less now?
Absolutely not!! Because the world is more interconnected, we are aware of other's suffering in ways we weren't years ago. The fact that not everyone has the resources to help with every problem doesn't equate to a lack or caring. I think if you do some research, you'll find more people doing and giving more to help other people in a myriad of different ways than at any point in human history.:)

alowyn

I agree with Captain Xeroid. It's a smaller world now, we're now no longer trapped in our own little bubbles. If mankind is apathetic, it's no more than it used to be. the notion of helping yourself first, of course, still applies, but look at the world - we no longer all support our countries to the death. War is no longer a glorious thing, and fighting for one's country is not the essential honour one needed. Why? we care more about humanity. We don't want our countries to gain power at the expense of others.
Note, i am speaking generally. i am very well aware that there are nationalists who don't go with what i say. But overall humans are more internationally involved.