• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Hindus consider themselves Pagans?

Comicaze247

See the previous line
I'm writing an informative speech for my Speech 100 class on Paganism, and I just want to know if I should include Hinduism as a Pagan religion.

One of the (many) definitions I've seen for "Paganism" is that it describes any non-Abrahamic, polytheistic religion, so I was wondering if Hindus considered themselves a part of that category.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
I'm writing an informative speech for my Speech 100 class on Paganism, and I just want to know if I should include Hinduism as a Pagan religion.

One of the (many) definitions I've seen for "Paganism" is that it describes any non-Abrahamic, polytheistic religion, so I was wondering if Hindus considered themselves a part of that category.

Please go ahead and include it in the Pagan category.Thank god Hinduism is outside those aggressive abrahamic "monotheistic" religions .

Hinduism (mainstream/vedic) comes under monism /panentheism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hindus do not actually consider themselves pagan. You can mention, if you like, that Christians for instance classify anything non-Abrahamic as pagan but I have never known a Hindu who thinks he is pagan.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I, personally, consider "pagan" as referring to native European religions, either original or revival. I don't really consider Hinduism "pagan."