• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do God the Father and God the Son have physical bodies?

Scott C.

Just one guy
I believe that angels are beings who either have lived as mortals or will live as mortals on earth. They are our brothers and sisters as sons and daughters of God. So, an angel could be a spirit who has not yet been born on earth. Or, it can be a person who has died and lives now as a spirit. Or it can be a person who died and who has already been resurrected with a physical body. I believe that Jesus followed this pattern... a Spirit (but most definitely God) prior to his birth... then "made flesh" when he was born... then a Spirit after his death... then resurrected with an immortal physical body.

A resurrected body is not the same as an earthly body. Both are physical but one is corrupt and the other is not. "Flesh and blood" (i.e, the mortal or corrupt body) will not be in heaven. Rather, an immortal and glorified and perfect body will be in heaven. I would imagine that Christ, with a physical body of divine nature, is able to walk through walls or do anything else that we might find impossible with our mortal understanding of physics.

I don't believe that Christ showed himself in bodily form, after his resurrection, solely to demonstrate that he is God and has power over death. But he was showing the world that he is and always will be the resurrected Christ with a body and we too will be resurrected some day in a similar manner.

I consider the angels in heaven to be in a higher state than I. I see myself as less than the angels. They are with or near God and can do things which I cannot as a mortal. But this high/low state has to do with where an individual is in the journey of eternity. It doesn't mean that a mortal will not one day be an angel.

Yoshua

I believe that angels are beings who either have lived as mortals or will live as mortals on earth. They are our brothers and sisters as sons and daughters of God. So, an angel could be a spirit who has not yet been born on earth. Or, it can be a person who has died and lives now as a spirit. Or it can be a person who died and who has already been resurrected with a physical body. I believe that Jesus followed this pattern... a Spirit (but most definitely God) prior to his birth... then "made flesh" when he was born... then a Spirit after his death... then resurrected with an immortal physical body.
Hi Scott,

How come that an angel (who is a spirit being -without physical body) becomes our brothers and sisters?
How could an angel could be a spirit who has not yet born on earth?

If you say that it can be a person who has died and lives now as a spirit, that would mean you believe in "reincarnation" as Buddhist also hold that doctrine.
If Jesus followed this pattern, can you give some scriptural support?
I don't believe that Christ showed himself in bodily form, after his resurrection, solely to demonstrate that he is God and has power over death. But he was showing the world that he is and always will be the resurrected Christ with a body and we too will be resurrected some day in a similar manner.
How about when Jesus appeared to His disciples, to Thomas and showed His hands?

Thanks

12jtartar

Premium Member
Hi Scott,

How come that an angel (who is a spirit being -without physical body) becomes our brothers and sisters?

If you say that it can be a person who has died and lives now as a spirit, that would mean you believe in "reincarnation" as Buddhist also hold that doctrine.

Thanks

Yoshua,
I am very glad you said that, you believe, the things you wrote, because not one of them has any basis for truth. The only source of doctrinal truth is The Bible. Your beliefs are pure dereism, delirament!!!
Both Jesus are spirits. The Bible calls Jehovah God, The Spirit, 2Cor 3:17. The Bible says that, before he was born here on earth, as a man, Jesus was existing in God's form, spirit form, Phillipians 2:6. When Jesus was a man he was made lower than the Angels, Hebrews 2:9, 2Pet 2:11. The Bible says that Jesus was put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit, 1Pet 3:18, and in the spirit state Jesus went and preached to Spirits in prison, 1Pet 3:19,20. Only in spirit form could Jesus preach to spirits, since flesh and blood cannot see spirits.
The Bible tells us that Jesus disciples said that the would never see Jesus in the spirit again, 2Corinthians 5:16, so Jesus will always be a spirit. If he wants to, in the future, he may put on flesh to visit eart again, but never stay flesh, because Jesus gave his fleshly body as a corresponding sacrifice so that we could gain back what Adam lost for us, everlasting live, 1Tim 2:3-6. Since angels are higher than men, and Jesus was exalted to a higher position, Jesus would positively be spirit Phillipians 2:9. Flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God, 1Cor 15:50. We all know that a fleshly person cannot live in outer space!!!

Yoshua

Yoshua,
I am very glad you said that, you believe, the things you wrote, because not one of them has any basis for truth. The only source of doctrinal truth is The Bible. Your beliefs are pure dereism, delirament!!!
Both Jesus are spirits. The Bible calls Jehovah God, The Spirit, 2Cor 3:17. The Bible says that, before he was born here on earth, as a man, Jesus was existing in God's form, spirit form, Phillipians 2:6. When Jesus was a man he was made lower than the Angels, Hebrews 2:9, 2Pet 2:11. The Bible says that Jesus was put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit, 1Pet 3:18, and in the spirit state Jesus went and preached to Spirits in prison, 1Pet 3:19,20. Only in spirit form could Jesus preach to spirits, since flesh and blood cannot see spirits.
The Bible tells us that Jesus disciples said that the would never see Jesus in the spirit again, 2Corinthians 5:16, so Jesus will always be a spirit. If he wants to, in the future, he may put on flesh to visit eart again, but never stay flesh, because Jesus gave his fleshly body as a corresponding sacrifice so that we could gain back what Adam lost for us, everlasting live, 1Tim 2:3-6. Since angels are higher than men, and Jesus was exalted to a higher position, Jesus would positively be spirit Phillipians 2:9. Flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God, 1Cor 15:50. We all know that a fleshly person cannot live in outer space!!!

Hi tartar,

May I know if you are a trinitarian? Indicated in your designation is you are a Christian, a Baptist, a Mormons.........?

Thanks

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi Scott,
Hi, Yoshua. Since Scott hasn't been back, I hope you won't mind if I jump in and answer the questions you asked him. He and I believe the same, so I think my answer will be much the same as his would have been.

Mormons believe that each and every person who has ever lived or ever will live is the spirit son or daughter of God, our Heavenly Father. We believe that He created our spirits long before we were ever born, and that we lived with Him in Heaven in a spirit state prior to our births. In this respect we are all brothers and sisters, sons and daughters of the same Father in Heaven. We believe that, from time to time, God calls upon those spirits to be messengers. Essentially, that's what an angel is -- a heavenly messenger. So, it's not that an angel "becomes" our brother or sister. It's that one of our spirit brothers and sisters is called by God to be a heavenly messenger (an angel) and interact with someone on earth in this capacity.

No, we don't believe in reincarnation. We simply believe that a spirit (the life force) can exist either within a physical body -- in which case that body becomes "a living soul" -- or independently of the body. According to Mormon theology, we all existed first as spirits created by God. We had no physical bodies at that time. When our spirit entered into the body created for us at conception, it gives that little body mortal life. So, during our time here on earth, we are physical beings housing our spirit. At the end of our mortal life, our spirit leaves our body and our body is said to die. Our spirit, however, does not die, but continues to be a fully cognizant entity, just as it was before birth. At the time of our resurrection, it re-enters our newly perfected physical bodies, giving them new life. Only this time, we are not mortal (subject to disease and death) but immortal. We will never again die, nor will our bodies ever grow old or diseased.

At this point in the story about Jesus, He was a resurrected being. He had essentially gone through all of the stages we go through. He had a premortal existence during which time He was a spirit being. Then, he had a mortal existence; he lived as a human being, even though He was God. His spirit resided within a physical body. After that, He died, and commended His spirit into His Father's hands. During the three days during which His physical body lay in the tomb, His Father sent Him to teach His gospel to the spirits of those who were in prison. These were the spirits of those who had died without having had the opportunity to hear His word. On Easter morning, His spirit re-entered His physical body, giving it new and everlasting life. It was at this point that His disciples saw Him and it was in this state that He showed them the wounds in His hands, feet and side. (Reincarnation would involve a spirit moving from one life form to another, for instance from an ant to a horse to a human. We do not believe this takes place. The only body our spirit ever occupies is our own body.)

Yoshua

Mormons believe that each and every person who has ever lived or ever will live is the spirit son or daughter of God, our Heavenly Father. We believe that He created our spirits long before we were ever born, and that we lived with Him in Heaven in a spirit state prior to our births. In this respect we are all brothers and sisters, sons and daughters of the same Father in Heaven. We believe that, from time to time, God calls upon those spirits to be messengers. Essentially, that's what an angel is -- a heavenly messenger. So, it's not that an angel "becomes" our brother or sister. It's that one of our spirit brothers and sisters is called by God to be a heavenly messenger (an angel) and interact with someone on earth in this capacity.
Hi Katzpur,

May I know where is the doctrine of the spirit creation came from?

Thanks

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi Katzpur,

May I know where is the doctrine of the spirit creation came from?

Thanks
Yoshua, I don't know how I managed to miss your question. I just barely saw it and you posted it six weeks ago! My apologies. Anyway, here is the answer to your question (copied and pasted from MormonWiki, which I believe to be a reliable source):

The Lord told His prophets that just as men were created spiritually before they were created "temporally" (or physically, into a temporary world), so was the earth and everything in it:
And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew. For I, the Lord God, created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth. For I, the Lord God, had not caused it to rain upon the face of the earth. And I, the Lord God, had created all the children of men; and not yet a man to till the ground; for in heaven created I them; and there was not yet flesh upon the earth, neither in the water, neither in the air;
And I, the Lord God, formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul, the first flesh upon the earth, the first man also; nevertheless, all things were before created; but spiritually were they created and made according to my word. And out of the ground made I, the Lord God, to grow every tree, naturally, that is pleasant to the sight of man; and man could behold it. And it became also a living soul. For it was spiritual in the day that I created it; for it remaineth in the sphere in which I, God, created it, yea, even all things which I prepared for the use of man; and man saw that it was good for food. And I, the Lord God, planted the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and also the tree of knowledge of good and evil. (Pearl of Great Price, Moses 3:5,7,9)

In other words, it came from the "Pearl of Great Price" which is one of the four volumes Mormons believe to be sacred scripture. "Moses" is one book in the Pearl of Great Price..