• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do extremists follow the example of Muhammad?

Who better follows the example of Muhammad?

• Extremists

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Moderate Muslims

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Quran 5:33 Indeed, the punishment of those who fight Allah and His Messenger and who go around corrupting the land is to be killed, crucified, have their hands and feet cut off on opposite sides, or to be banished from the land. That is a disgrace for them in this life, and in the life to come theirs will be a terrible punishment.

I didn't want to start another thread like this, but I learned a lot in the other threads I started like this, and I'm very curious to see what the answers are.

So, to be fair, it isn't just Islam, it is Abrahamic monotheism that I'm growing increasingly disgusted with.

However, this so called prophet Muhammad makes my blood boil sometimes with his extremist views. I see that I can't fault extremist Muslims for just behaving like the founder of their Religion.

I live with a Muslim. He's an awesome person. I love him and desire that he gets every blessing and good thing in this life. We do studies of the Koran and I present my questions to him. He says "that's not Islam.". I don't force the issue because it won't do any good.

I tried to kid myself into believing Mustafa is the example of a true Muslim and that Muhammad must have been like that.

I've prayed at a mosque and known plenty of Muslims. I think most are good people.

Actually, the Muslims that cut off heads and kill innocent people are doing what Muhammad did. ISIS cuts off heads because Muhammad did. Muhammad participated in and ordered the decapitation of hundreds of Jews, Christians, and Pagans.

He also destroyed what was sacred to the polytheists. I suppose that is why his followers today destroy ancient shrines and temples.

The harsh laws in Saudi Arabia resemble the laws and policies that he laid down. Cutting off the hands of theives is in the Koran.

So, who follows the example of Muhammad better, extremists or moderate Muslims?

Please don't answer the poll unless you have studied the life of Muhammad. You can quickly Google his atrocities. For the record, I don't consider King David or some of the OT figures any better than Muhammad.

Abrahamic monotheism is the Religion I adhere to, but our history makes my hair stand on end!:confused:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Quran 5:33 Indeed, the punishment of those who fight Allah and His Messenger and who go around corrupting the land is to be killed, crucified, have their hands and feet cut off on opposite sides, or to be banished from the land. That is a disgrace for them in this life, and in the life to come theirs will be a terrible punishment.

I didn't want to start another thread like this, but I learned a lot in the other threads I started like this, and I'm very curious to see what the answers are.

So, to be fair, it isn't just Islam, it is Abrahamic monotheism that I'm growing increasingly disgusted with.

What I'm seeing and expect to continue is religious people understand their Holy books within the context of their beliefs.

Those beliefs which have evolved and are taught are dependent on the "culture?" that one was brought up in. The views expressed by religious folks are much more dependent on that context than the actual words that are written down.

The internet allows access to such a great variety of religious context. I've kind of given up trying to understand a religion by what's been written in its holy books.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I love the example of Christ

I was always impressed by Jesus' acceptance of the folks that had been rejected by the religious hierarchy of his day. Basically saying you didn't need the approval of religious authority to have a relationship with God.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

However, this so called prophet Muhammad makes my blood boil sometimes with his extremist views. I see that I can't fault extremist Muslims for just behaving like the founder of their Religion.

I live with a Muslim. He's an awesome person. I love him and desire that he gets every blessing and good thing in this life. We do studies of the Koran and I present my questions to him. He says "that's not Islam.". I don't force the issue because it won't do any good.

I tried to kid myself into believing Mustafa is the example of a true Muslim and that Muhammad must have been like that.

I've prayed at a mosque and known plenty of Muslims. I think most are good people.

Actually, the Muslims that cut off heads and kill innocent people are doing what Muhammad did. ISIS cuts off heads because Muhammad did. Muhammad participated in and ordered the decapitation of hundreds of Jews, Christians, and Pagans.

He also destroyed what was sacred to the polytheists. I suppose that is why his followers today destroy ancient shrines and temples.

The harsh laws in Saudi Arabia resemble the laws and policies that he laid down. Cutting off the hands of theives is in the Koran.

Please don't answer the poll unless you have studied the life of Muhammad. You can quickly Google his atrocities. For the record, I don't consider King David or some of the OT figures any better than Muhammad.

Abrahamic monotheism is the Religion I adhere to, but our history makes my hair stand on end!:confused:

. . . and following the examples of the Old Testament and the Book of Revelation; the war between good and evil.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
But even Christ said to bring those who refuse to allow him to reign over them before him and slay them in front of them. (Luke 19:27)

I find it very hypocritical to adhere to ine Abrahamic religion while judging another. They all have their viciousness.
As I said, I'm increasingly disgusted with Abrahamic monotheism.

However, what you quoted was a parable. Jesus never ordered violence. When his Apostle took up a sword to defend him , he said, put away your sword, those who live by the sword will die by the sword.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
As I said, I'm increasingly disgusted with Abrahamic monotheism.

However, what you quoted was a parable. Jesus never ordered violence. When his Apostle took up a sword to defend him , he said, put away your sword, those who live by the sword will die by the sword.
A parable about what? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the preceeding verses, as if it was added as an afterthought. Even if you interpret as being about the last judgment, Jesus still comes out sounding like a murderous tyrant making threats.

Also, Jesus ordered his disciples to buy swords in Luke 22:36.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I voted the moderate Muslims better follow the example of Muhammad.

It would be helpful to ask the Muslims to provide some context to the verse you have quoted.

Maybe your Muslim flatmate would be a good starting point?

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I voted the moderate Muslims better follow the example of Muhammad.

It would be helpful to ask the Muslims to provide some context to the verse you have quoted.

Maybe your Muslim flatmate would be a good starting point?
Are you denying that Muhammad cut off hundreds of heads?