• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do entanglement and nonlocality imply that everything is interdependent and interconnected?

Do entanglement and nonlocality imply that everything is interdependent and interconnected?

• Total voters

Gambit

(Why is this religiously significant? Because spirituality can be defined as the transcendental experience of interdependence and interconnection.)

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
(Why is this religiously significant? Because spirituality can be defined as the transcendental experience of interdependence and interconnection.)

Quantum mechanics is nothing to do with spirituality, this idea is just pseudo-science. With greater awareness and insight one can see interdependence more clearly, but that's nothing to do with QM. QM operates at the sub-atomic scale, we don't experience it directly in our everyday experience.

Gambit

Quantum mechanics is nothing to do with spirituality, this idea is just pseudo-science. With greater awareness and insight one can see interdependence more clearly, but that's nothing to do with QM. QM operates at the sub-atomic scale, we don't experience it directly in our everyday experience.

I noticed that you failed to cast your vote.

Rick O'Shez

I noticed that you failed to cast your vote.

I'll have to think about it some more. Interdependence at the sub-atomic scale is not the same as interdependence in our everyday world, different rules apply at different scales.
But I don't think there is any connection between QM and spiritual experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

The most likely answer to your first question is yes, but your answer to your second question us conjectural, especially since "spirituality" is very abstract, thus more prone to be subjective.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I don't think we have enough understanding yet to properly answer this question. However...

Interdependence is like chaos theory as to what exactly the smallest effect can bring upon a larger scale, and interconnection while true enough that there is no discernible seperation to be had, would not always bring about any sudden "halt" overall if such interconnections happen to change directions and through the dynamic processes of change and fluidity.

Sapiens

Polymathematician

No,entanglement and nonlocality DO NOT imply that everything is interdependent and interconnected, they just suggest that SOME things MAY BE interdependent and interconnected in ways we did not know.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I believe entanglement and nonlocality are important in showing us that are common sense materialist/physicalist view of the universe is incomplete and tells us we live in a mysterious universe. To me, it suggest that everything may be interdependent and interconnected but I don't know if I would say that it 'implies' it. I would say mysticism supports this too.

Unification

I beg to differ. You're referring to exoteric QM, there is metaphysical/internal/spiritual QM also.
Those same virtually infinite amounts of subatomic particles, photon's, atoms are at work within you relentlessly and make your direct experience.

Gambit

No,entanglement and nonlocality DO NOT imply that everything is interdependent and interconnected, they just suggest that SOME things MAY BE interdependent and interconnected in ways we did not know.

My sources tell me the implications are more broader.

Thus nonlocality, or non-separability, in these experiments could translate into the much grander notion of nonlocality, or non-separability, as the factual condition in the entire universe. p. 81

The experimental verification of nonlocality is the convincing demonstration to date of the unity of the cosmos. p. 179

(source: "The Non-Local Universe: The New Physics and Matters of the Mind" by Robert Nadeau and Menas Kafatos)

"We say that inseparable quantum interconnectedness of the whole universe is the fundamental reality and that relatively independently behaving parts are merely particular and contingent forms within this whole." (source: pg. 47 "On the Intuitive Understanding of Nonlocality as Implied by Quantum Theory" by David Bohm and B.J. Hiley)

Last edited:

prometheus11

No, they don't.

Misconceptions about such physical mechanics might provide a weak basis for some complex philosophy, though.

Nous

Premium Member
Which “things” are not interconnected? Which things are only “maybe” interconnected?

David Bohm seemed to believe that (at least) his version of quantum mechanics revealed an interconnected wholeness. In fact, I think he may have used the term “infinitely interconnected”. Gosh, I would hate to be the kind of thing not included in the infinitely interconnected whole.

Nous

Premium Member
I believe entanglement and nonlocality are important in showing us that are common sense materialist/physicalist view of the universe is incomplete and tells us we live in a mysterious universe.
Yes, I would say something like that. I have said something like that many times.

Rick O'Shez

I believe entanglement and nonlocality are important in showing us that are common sense materialist/physicalist view of the universe is incomplete and tells us we live in a mysterious universe.

For sure, the universe is far weirder than we know. But claiming that mysticism can fill in the gaps is a stretch.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
For sure, the universe is far weirder than we know. But claiming that mysticism can fill in the gaps is a stretch.
I think we can learn from mystical experiences. I learn from many mystical, spiritual and beyond the normal subjects and find they dovetail to a worldview that supports ultimate interconnectedness.