• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians have special knowledge?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I'm directing this post at Christianity, as I have highly personal experience with fundamental Christianity. Perhaps this question applies to other theistic faiths as well.

Do Christians have special insight?

My former pastor would preach about Christians being possessed by the Holy Spirit. He said that being possessed with this spirit allows Christians to see the world in a different light. They see God in everyday life, supposedly.

When looking at the stars, a Christian will see proof of God. My pastor explained that these proofs were invisible to other folks, as they do not have the Holy Spirit opening their eyes. Others are blind to reality, deluding themselves with empiricism.

What do you think, Christians? Do your God(s) grant you special spiritual knowledge? Do you have insight that us pagans don't have? (The term pagan means anyone who isn't a Christian, in fundamental Christianity's eyes.)

Viker

Häxan
When I was Southern Baptist and Evangelical it was considered that the Holy Spirit guided one through scripture, and what not, to aid in understanding what on the outside was claimed to be widely misinterpreted.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Each way of knowing contains its own mysteries that will not be grasped in the same way by those now purview to them.

I used to roll my eyes at such concepts, but then I joined a mystery school myself and it gave me an appreciation for the truth of this notion.

People see in the ways they are taught to see. If you are taught to see the world through a Christian lens, you will see mysteries that those outside of that framework will fail to grasp. The could, perhaps, grasp it in time of trained in your way of seeing. But not necessarily. Each of us is different, and our capacity for ways of knowing is limited. And our time is limited. To deeply know the mysteries of any tradition necessitates letting others lie. There is simply not enough time for them all.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Each way of knowing contains its own mysteries that will not be grasped in the same way by those now purview to them.

I used to roll my eyes at such concepts, but then I joined a mystery school myself and it gave me an appreciation for the truth of this notion.

People see in the ways they are taught to see. If you are taught to see the world through a Christian lens, you will see mysteries that those outside of that framework will fail to grasp. The could, perhaps, grasp it in time of trained in your way of seeing. But not necessarily. Each of us is different, and our capacity for ways of knowing is limited. And our time is limited. To deeply know the mysteries of any tradition necessitates letting others lie. There is simply not enough time for them all.
This makes me think.

Absent of the Christian God being literally true, do you suppose that Christians still have access to special insight?
This applies to everyone.

Their traditions and beliefs trains their mind to view the universe differently. the brain is powerful. Perceptions are different, yet they can all be viewing the same truth? The truth is absolute, right?

I'm not smart enough to frame this question as well as I would like to.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'm directing this post at Christianity, as I have highly personal experience with fundamental Christianity. Perhaps this question applies to other theistic faiths as well.

My former pastor would preach about Christians being possessed by the Holy Spirit. He said that being possessed with this spirit allows Christians to see the world in a different light. They see God in everyday life, supposedly.

When looking at the stars, a Christian will see proof of God. My pastor explained that these proofs were invisible to other folks, as they do not have the Holy Spirit opening their eyes. Others are blind to reality, deluding themselves with empiricism.

What do you think, Christians? Do your God(s) grant you special spiritual knowledge? Do you have insight that us pagans don't have? (The term pagan means anyone who isn't a Christian, in fundamental Christianity's eyes.)
No, but they may process information in a different way which can in some circumstances have a beneficial outcome.

I'd say the same of Buddhism.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Well, it's a biblical concept, the natural man cannot discern what the spiritual man can.
Of course if the natural man is being convicted by the Holy Spirit then he can begin to see with spiritual eyes. It really does change your entire world view to believe in a God who loved you enough to die for you.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

The simple question is 'Why only Christians?'

No doubt your Pastor would suggest it's because God is real, and more specifically that God fits the nature prescribed by that particular branch of Christianity.

People with other versions of God/s might suggest similar insight and understanding, but your Pastor would suggest they're wrong, and he's not.

Which would make me wonder. Or it did, back when I was trying to decide credibility on such things.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Absent of the Christian God being literally true, do you suppose that Christians still have access to special insight?

I would think so.

There's flexibility in how we want to interpret our experiences and the conclusions we want to draw about them. So whether or not God is real in a narrow, literalistic sense doesn't stop people from having religious experiences. And if you are raised in a Christian tradition, you would tend to interpret those experiences based on Christian theological and religious assumptions. Through shared community and shared experiences with your fellows, you can build meaning out of that. This is how religions start, really - someone experiences stuff, more people experience stuff, and we tell stories to make sense of it. The story being literally true is kind of missing the point; it's the special insights and meanings we arrive to that make it deeply valued to us.

Maybe this sounds kind of wishy washy to some, but religion is more an art than a science. There's a creativity to it, a visceral realness to the lived experiences we then try to express through story and ritual. Stories truer than truth since they speak to us on a deeper level than bare facts ever could. Those would be the mysteries of whatever your religious tradition is. Maybe for Catholics, for example, it would be a deep and profound knowing of taking communion. Something that can't really be conveyed entirely in words, but through practicing the ritual, you develop that special knowledge and insight.

Their traditions and beliefs trains their mind to view the universe differently. the brain is powerful. Perceptions are different, yet they can all be viewing the same truth? The truth is absolute, right?

If it is, I remain unconvinced humans can know it (or know that they know it). But I will concede that when you have a deep, mystical experience - getting what you might call special insights - it will feel like a truth beyond truths, or a sort of absolute truth. A moment of enlightenment. A gestalt of disparate ideas. It... these things are hard to put words to, honestly.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
When I was an evangelical Christian, I was taught that the Holy Spirit gives the followers of Jesus "spiritual discernment," but I don't believe that anymore. I was a Christian for thirty years, and I knew quite a few Christians who were ignorant of the Bible and only knew a handful of scriptures, which were often about a specific topic like salvation or eternal life. I had also encountered quite a few atheists who weren't former Christians, and they ran circles around Christians in theological debates online. I believe that Christians who diligently study the Bible will understand it based on their personal interpretation of the Bible, whereas Christians who do not diligently read and study the Bible will remain ignorant of it. I don't believe that a Christian's understanding of the Bible is influenced by a special "spiritual discernment" allegedly given to them because they believe in Jesus. It is their responsibility to learn the Bible.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
When looking at the stars, a Christian will see proof of God.

Scripturally it says that anyone looking at the stars should come to the conclusion that there is a God.

However, having the Holy Spirit does open the eyes of ones understanding. Not special knowledge--it's like the light got turned on and you see better.

...Do your God(s) grant you special spiritual knowledge? Do you have insight that us pagans don't have?...

I feel God guides me and also helps me to understand things better. And that understanding can help to get knowledge. But, maybe that same knowledge could be possible for other people also.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe so but without Biblical backing there is no proof of validity.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well, the important part is that your pastor has no way of verifying that it's the Holy Spirit guiding him, so it's a poor epistemology.

I believe it helps to have someone around who has the gift of spiritual discernment.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe

This Christian claim always deeply rankles me.

Most of the Christians feel this so-called "holy spirit" is equated to the "Spirit of God" and LOVE to flaunt how much it makes them special. Which greatly angers because they have no idea what they are taking about.

I have had the Spirit of God ever since I was a child and so my soul is always connected to God, with my every thought and action self-monitored to see if it's in line with God's laws, nature, and in accord with his long term plan for all of the souls. I also can get all the spiritual answers and guidance I request. That, and yes, I have NEVER had the same limited world view as everyone else.

Whereas the Christians haven't a clue as to anything truly spiritual or even what their so-called "holy spirit" is really suppose to be limited to, to tell them what their "god's word/bible" means. Yet they ALL still have to follow what their religious leaders TELL them it means. Or just invent up their own meanings and go around trying to force everyone to believe them and only them, because THEY have the "holy spirit". Ending up with all of the Christians believing in the craziest things they claim their "word of "god" says and fighting one another on who is "right" and who is "wrong".

Now if this silly myth were true, they would ALL be able to just read the bible and ALL come to the SAME understandings as to what it is suppose to be telling them, and also know ALL about one's soul, the true spiritual nature of God, know what they call Heaven is really like, or know all about any and all other spiritual matters. But they don't do they?

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Yes, Christians do have special knowledge. Every religion has it… some great hidden strength, power, wisdom and beauty that can only be experienced from the inside, through truly committing to it and living that religion through the eyes of that culture.

Had I the lifespan I would learn every language and experience them all.