• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians and Muslims worship the same Deity?

maro

muslimah
Islam believes Jesus was a great prophet but not the Messiah. Question2: is Muhammad suppose to be the Messiah of Islam or a greater prophet than Jesus?[/quote]

islam believes that jesus was a great prophet and is the Messiah
Muhammed is the last prophet, and is the greatest of all prophets
but he is still a human being
an example to follow
and not a God

19:88_95

"and they say , the beneficent hath taken unto a son (88)
assuredly ye utter a disastrous thing (89)
whereby almost the heavens are torn, and the earth is split asunder and the mountains fall in ruins(90)
That ye ascribe unto the beneficent a son (91)
when it is not meet for the ( the majesty of ) the beneficent that he should take a son (92)
There is none in the heavens and earth but cometh unto the Beneficent as a slave ( 93)
verily he knoweth them and numbereth them with (right) numbering (94)
and each one of them will come unto him on the day of resurrection, alone(95)"

maro

muslimah
GoldenDragon said:
While the word "cousin" may not exactly fit maybe not even "step brother" but there is some relationship between Islam and Christianity.

muslims believe that judaism and christianity were religions sent by Allah to guide people
we believe in all prophets and in all books
and we don't deny any of it

but we also believe that those religions were distorted by people
and that's why we can't rely on them anymore
and that's why Allah has sent Islam, to be the final true religion
and kept it from distortion
because Muhammed is the last prophet to be sent to people till the day of judgement
and thankx God,
his messege and his miracle ( which is the Quran) will be perserved for people till the end of days
to those who really seek guidance

Genna

Isn't that what the mormons believe also? that their revelation is the final revelation of Gods word? Isn't this what Islam also believes? What puts your belief above theirs?

maro

muslimah
Genna said:
Isn't that what the mormons believe also? that their revelation is the final revelation of Gods word? Isn't this what Islam also believes? What puts your belief above theirs?

actually, I don't claim to know about the mormons, u mentioned
but like I have said before, the Islam is the only religion which proved itself to be the true religion of Allah

and the proof again : the miracuolous signs of the quran, which no one could have ever known about 1400 years ago
no one one but the creator himself
and we can discuss that in details if u r interested

another thing; is the islam rules (tashree3)which comes from Allah
and which some people use sometimes to offend islam, and claim it's oppresive to some

actually these rules are proving themselves(everyday) to be the best way of living
and the best proof for that is the great suffering of those who are living away from it, even though the great materialistic power they have achieved,
yet they have no peace of mind, and no real happiness and satisfaction about their lives

they suffer from alcoholism, aids, and other sexual and psycological diseases related to their abnormal sexual lives
they even commit suicide with a rate much higher than in islamic countries
and I think that this is the beginning of their puishment for giving up the way of Allah, their creator
the way of their true happiness and peace of mind in this life and in the other life

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
il divino said:
no, i'm asking - if one accepts the idea of a creator, how does one know there were not more than one?
Genesis 1:26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness,

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Genna said:
Do Christians and Muslims worship the same Deity? I have heard yes and no, so whats going on?
Yes. What's going on is that some people are so filled with hate for each other that they would deny the obvious.

1. As several people have already said, both Christians and Muslims (and Jews) worship the God of Abraham.

According to the book of Genesis, God chose Abraham and promised that his descendants would be as numerous as the stars in the sky. Abraham had two sons, Ishmael and Isaac. The descendants of Isaac became the Jews.

From Judaism arose Christianity. (Christians have never disputed that they worship the same God as the Jews; despite the anti-semitism and genocide.) So the God of Abraham and Isaac is the God of Christianity as well.

According to the Qur'an the descendants of Ishmael became the Arabs. The God of Abraham and Ishmael gave the Qur'an to Mohammed. And whoever hears and submits is Muslim, including those who are not Arab. So all Muslims worship the God of Abraham as well.

The God of Abraham is the God of the Jews is the God of the Christians is the God of the Muslims.

2. All three of these religions say that there is only one God. If there is only one God and the Jews, Christians, and Muslims all believe in God then they must all believe in the same God.

maro

muslimah
lilithu said:
All three of these religions say that there is only one God. If there is only one God and the Jews, Christians, and Muslims all believe in God then they must all believe in the same God.

genesis 1:26 (let us make man in our image, in our likeness)

could u please explain to me how the one god christians believe in says ( us/ our)
because it is not very obvious to me, as it is to u

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
maro said:

could u please explain to me how the one god christians believe in says ( us/ our)
First, Genesis is a text shared by both Chistians and Jews.

Second, I don't have to explain any apparent discrepancies in the text. I'm not Christian (or Jewish). They say they worship the one God; it's in their doctrines; it's generally accepted that all three Abrahamic faiths are monotheistic.

One can always look for a reason to fight. IMO it's ridiculous. The Qur'an recognizes the kinship between Jews and Christians and instructed you to treat them with respect.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
spacemonkey said:
These are debate forums, I don't think anyone is here searching for the meaning of life.
sorry, that part of my post was aimed at addressing Genna's post, saying she did not see any compelling arguments over others in this thread. i was not trying to say she was looking for specific anwers, sorry for the confusion :eek:
Why is the question based on the assumption that a God exists? Muslims, Christians, and Jews worship a god regardless of whether or not he exists.
because the underlining assumption of the abrahamic faiths is that God exists, and so to question the comparisons between the religions you must also assume that God exists, as defined by those faiths.
That said, it seems pretty obvious to me that they worship the same God, just differ in the way they feel he should be worshipped. The only people whom seem to think that it is not the same deity is Christians who seem determined to make Islam their enemy (mostly here in the US where I live). I don't see what the big deal is, seems to me that all religion's have pretty much the same message, its a big world and it takes more then one messanger.

i must disagree with this, they differ on more than just how to worship. Christians in general believe that it is only through Christ's sacrifice we can be returned to God, and many believe that Christ is God Incarnate. the Jews however believe that the covernant between Abraham and God stays between them and God, no middle man involved - the belief that Christ is God is completely contradictory to the Jewish belief, so to the Jews, the Christian God is a completely different concept to their God, because their God is only one, not two (or three, if you want to go trinitarian ;) )

sorry, that seems a bit long winded, but what i'm arguing here is that the different beliefs about God's nature mean that the God of the Jews, and the God of the Chrisitanis are destinctly different.

maro

muslimah
lilithu said:
First, Genesis is a text shared by both Chistians and Jews.

Second, I don't have to explain any apparent discrepancies in the text. I'm not Christian (or Jewish). They say they worship the one God; it's in their doctrines; it's generally accepted that all three Abrahamic faiths are monotheistic.

One can always look for a reason to fight. IMO it's ridiculous. The Qur'an recognizes the kinship between Jews and Christians and instructed you to treat them with respect.

first, I don't think christians are monotheistic

secondly, I do treat christians with respect, but I don't respect their beleifs , and I have noyhing to do with that
and this is a debate, and I have to prove my point of view , it has nothing to do with respect

GoldenDragon

Christianity is a monothestic religion I think you've mistaking the Trinity for being three different gods but its actually 3 persons in 1 God. Hard to understand for any human so I understand.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
lilithu said:
The Qur'an recognizes the kinship between Jews and Christians and instructed you to treat them with respect.

Plus that, prophet Mohammed told us that he will be in charge of arguing and accusing "in the judgment day in front of God", any muslim who harm anyone from the people of the book.

Jerrell

Muslims have their reasons Christians have their reasons. I Myself believe that when Jesus retunrs he shall come for his Christian brothers and sisters, however Muslims believes he will return to declare Islam to be right. Anyway, Jesus returns in both beliefs, Christianity being the Oldest.

-Do not think as God as being One in Three. THink of "God" as a Name for a greater being who functions as three persons. The Father(Called God)-He Judges, The Son(Called Jesus)-He Administrates, And the Spirit(Called the Holy Spirit or Ghost)-THe Power and Presense of God.

One thing to understand is that most of the time the name God appears in the Old Testament it is the world Elohim. Elohim is the name for one GOd, yet it means gods. El means GOd, and Elohim is plural of it. It takes somebody who really wants to understand the nature of God to understand it. If you have any questions further email me at [email protected], or post them here. I'll be happy to answer them.

Ezzedean

roli said:
Technically they have a main historical focal point, that being Abraham,they also have aspects of faith,but in the same God, Absolutely,not !

Jhn 16:2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.
Jhn 13:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

I think muslims believe and have a concept of a god that is based from and supports there own teachings from Muhumad, that works,discipline,and practices will make god pleased with them.Although they believe in Jesus being a good teacher
They reject that Jesus is the Son of God who came abolished death through the cross and brought life and immortality that only through him do we have life
Jhn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
Jhn 5:23That all [men] should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him

1Jo 2:23Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: [(but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also].

Jhn 8:40But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham You do the deeds of your father. Then said to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, [even] God.Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, you would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.Muslim believe in a different God then the Christians

We don't seek to kill Jesus, we don't deny Jesus... we just call him a prophet... just like deuteronomy 18 did. We believe in the same God that Jesus did, but maybe you're right, we don't believe the same God that Christians do.

Genna

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the muslims I have spoken to tell me that deuteronomy 18 refers to the prophet of Islam and not Jesus, no?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
GoldenDragon said:
Christianity is a monothestic religion I think you've mistaking the Trinity for being three different gods but its actually 3 persons in 1 God. Hard to understand for any human so I understand.
And even if Muslims (or anyone else) believes that Christians worship three gods, it is indisputable that one of those three gods is the God of Abraham.

Look, yall (whoever wants to) can argue over who has the right view of God. I'll leave you to it. But you cannot logically argue that you guys worship different gods.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Genna said:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the muslims I have spoken to tell me that deuteronomy 18 refers to the prophet of Islam and not Jesus, no?

18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their kinsmen, and will put my words into his mouth; he shall tell them all that I command him.

19 If any man will not listen to my words which he speaks in my name, I myself will make him answer for it.

20 But if a prophet presumes to speak in my name an oracle that I have not commanded him to speak, or speaks in the name of other gods, he shall die.'

21 "If you say to yourselves, 'How can we recognize an oracle which the LORD has spoken?',

22 know that, even though a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if his oracle is not fulfilled or verified, it is an oracle which the LORD did not speak. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously, and you shall have no fear of him. (deuteronomy 18-22)

Indded, i believe this is all about prophet Mohammed "peace be upon him".

[40] That this is verily the word of an honoured Messenger;

[41] It is not the word of a poet: little it is ye believe!

[42] Nor is it the word of a soothsayer: little admonition it is ye receive.

[43] (This is) a Message sent down from the Lord of the Worlds.

[44] And if the Messenger were to invent any sayings in Our name,

[45] We should certainly seize him by his right hand,

[46] And We should certainly then cut off the artery of his heart:

[47] Nor could any of you withhold him (from Our wrath).

[48] But verily this is a Message for the God-fearing. (Quran, Surah 69:40-48)

For further reading in details about prophet Mohammed, mentioned in the bible you can check this thread.

Mohamed (peace be upon him) in the bible:
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19750

Peace and blessing,

The Truth :)

Super Universe

Defender of God
maro said:

God did not speak this. Angels revealed so much, too much, to the ancient writers who thought they were hearing God.

Our created "image" is DNA but this is not something a man thousands of years ago would understand so the explanation revealed was like a parent describing a complex thing to a child.

Hacker

Genna said:
Do Christians and Muslims worship the same Deity? I have heard yes and no, so whats going on?
Despite similarities in beliefs about God, Christians and Muslims totally disagree with the nature of God. Christians believe that Jesus was or IS God, however, they both believe(Christians and Muslims) Jesus was a prophet. If indeed Muslims and Christians worshiped the same God, then there would be little need for disagreement or debate, which is the case according to this thread.
YmirGF said:
.Sorry it is a bit hard for me to accept that the same god created two RADICALLY different religions within such a short span of time. If the same god DID create both Christianity (and Judaism earlier), as well as Islam, then that God has a very odd idea on how to "help" mankind. I cannot really think of a better recipie of disaster, and one that sound altogether man-made to me. God can't be this stupid.
LOL, it's ludicrous:D and ultimately confusing.:cool: