• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Christians and Muslims worship the same Deity?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Genna said:
Do Christians and Muslims worship the same Deity? I have heard yes and no, so whats going on?

I doubt that many Christians (or Muslims or members of other faiths) would think so, but who knows ? Maybe the 'different' Gods are all one and the same.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Genna said:
Do Christians and Muslims worship the same Deity? I have heard yes and no, so whats going on?

Near as I can figure it out, Christians and Muslims are like cousins: From the same family, but with some charming differences between them.

Reactions: d.

Super Universe

Defender of God
Genna said:

How many creators of the universe do you think there are?

There is only one. Each religion attempts to define Him and force Him to fit their very small and limiting idea.

ayani

Sunstone said:
Near as I can figure it out, Christians and Muslims are like cousins: From the same family, but with some charming differences between them.

that's a great way of looking at it, Sun.

in response to the question: why not? both call to Him in times of distress, to honor Him, to remember Him, to give thanks, and to draw closer to His presence. ideas as to what God wants from those who call upon his name, however, seem to vary from sect to sect and across faiths.

does God want pennance? for us to enjoy ourselves? does He want us to fight in His name? to love one another without reserve? with some reserve? perhaps if we approach religious divides with the understanding that "God is for all and there are no limits we can put upon His grace and power", we would be less inclined to exclude and more inclined to listen and let live.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
This is a good question Genna, as you are more on point then most Christians would like to think. According to Muslim belief, the Qur'an was recited to the prophet Muhammed by none other then the angel Gabriel. Also, the Qur'an mentions many of the stories and people from both Jewish and Christian sacred and devotional texts. This includes Adam, Eve, Enoch, Abraham, Moses, David, Mary, John the Baptist, Jesus, and many others. Many of these individuals are named as prophets of Islam in the Muslim faith, with Adam being the first and Muhammed the last. There a five prophets that tradionally are regarded with extreme importance and these are Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Muhammed. Muslims also believe in Judgement day like Christians and even have an anti-christ figure known as the Dajjal (literally deciever). So I would have to say emphatically YES they all do worship the same deity.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Genna said:

There is only one God who is worshipped by Muslims, Christians and the Jews. There is no deity beside God, for God is one and only one.

Peace

Super Universe

Defender of God
il divino said:
why couldn't it be a team effort, or should i say joint venture?

Are you suggesting that the universe changes to meet our expectations?

If I invent a unique religion today and come up with a new name for my god do you think the universe then makes this god real?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Super Universe said:
How many creators of the universe do you think there are?
Are you seriously suggesting that this messed up world is not a committee effort?

d.

_______
Super Universe said:
Are you suggesting that the universe changes to meet our expectations?

If I invent a unique religion today and come up with a new name for my god do you think the universe then makes this god real?
no, i'm asking - if one accepts the idea of a creator, how does one know there were not more than one?

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
Does making up a religon today make it any less real then making it up hundreds or thousands of years ago? Even better, does the fact that a religon was made up thousands of years ago mean that is more correct then Scientology (newest religion I could think of). I imagine that if I went to go live in a cave in the Sahara I'd start hearing voices too. If not for modern science wouldn't we think that God destroyed New Orleans much in the same fashion as Sodom and Gomorrah (because of the sins of its inhabitants).

Super Universe

Defender of God
Sunstone said:
Are you seriously suggesting that this messed up world is not a committee effort?

This messed up world is a committee effort? I have been to 14 countries and about 40 US states but I do not know the place you describe.

Where I live there are beautiful gardens just outside my door. Birds sing every sunrise. Children laugh on their way to school. Everywhere I look I am surrounded by life, trees that are giant reservoirs of life. Not too far away men live under the freeway, they do not starve because kind strangers help them. Where I live there is so much music that I can listen to a new song each day. Artists here make unbelievable creations, they invent a new color each day.

I don't know where you live but I wonder why anyone would choose to live there.